passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy General Chat

Jimboxy

AKA B S ?

I have zero interest in this thing or its sequels. Most of my concerns were realised, so I'll just ignore its existence and move on from 1997. FF16 on the other hand, I am looking forward to.

No, it wasn't. I was listening to a podcast and the line used was the most apt. They dreaded this would be a prequel to Advent Children, instead of a remake of FF7. The former was what we ended up with. 

I've seen more and more people online, asking for Bluepoint to remake FF7. In the same vein as they did with Demon's Souls. Or more accurately, what Capcom did for Resident Evil 1 in 2002. 

You lot are mental. The way they redid FFVIIR was fantastic - and I adore the original. It’s taking it in a really interesting direction and I can’t wait to see what they do next. Sure a straight remake would have been nice but this is exciting in a different way. 

I actually was asking for this. (2019 post)

On 07/05/2019 at 10:07, one-armed dwarf said:

What they should do with FFVII is do what the Neon Genesis Evangelion creator did with his "rebuild" films. Take the same basic outline, setting and characters but tell a new story.

Stop trying to realise the scope and ambition of a 90s game with today's production values.

The original pitch for FFVII is really interesting. It was going to be set entirely in New York and you would play as a detective. That got thrown away but the remnants of it can be seen in the Midgard section of the game. It eventually got reused for Parasite Eve instead.

I was disappointed in FFVII Remake tho as said already, it was too slow paced. I'm much more interested in seeing them take things in a very new and different direction. 

Because the thought of a game which is just the second half of disc 1 turned into a full game just sounds so boring.

Also hey it gives people a reason to play the original game, cause it's a different story.

I was discussing this the other day with a friend and they came up with a very apt analogy for what FF7R is: The 1997 Star Wars Special Editions. Now the more I thought about that, the more it made sense. 

Story>aesthetic>gameplay

That's normally my priority scaling for video games. I've played really old games and modern ones, at times in tandem. Side scrollers to tank controls to omni-directional evasion. As long as the controls aren't outright bad, I tend to forget about them after a while.  They simply become muscle memory.

FF13 had a really interesting combat system. That would have been a lot better attached to a non-FF game. Pluck that out and put it in a new IP, I'm sure Square would have had a hit. I've seen YouTubers, such as LobosJR, who really rate 13 purely for the gameplay. I've never been able to value that above the rest.  

Oh yea that part was just plain bad.

Just put in a MMO style threat system, it's simple enough to understand if they tutorialise it. I put a lot of time into FFVII's combat but Aerith was a non starter unfortunately, you had to build her ATB with special materia to actually use her effectively. Directly controlling her was a disaster

At least Barret had steelskin, Cloud had his counter stances. Tifa was the only character who could actually dodge

• 1 month later...

Now we know what 'Ever Crisis' is

A summarised remake of the entire FFVII and compilation. They say the 'FFVII timeline', like the original game story I guess as opposed to remake's

BTW embedding isn't working for me

It's cool they have the characters running around as low-poly models and during combat the game straight up looks like the Remake. Nice nod to the original.

Too bad it'll be on mobile, but I expect this to come out on consoles later as well, just like FFXV Pocket Edition.

My main take away from the Ever Crisis stuff is they really want people to know about and catch up on Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core. That's become recommended reading now.

Obviously tho you can just watch Advent Children, weird they would put that into game form. Also Before Crisis is a really interesting one. Never got localised, it gets referenced a bit in FFVII Remake (spoilers for an ancient japanese mobile phone game nobody has played)

Spoiler

mentions that the president survived an assassination attempt, I think in Before Crisis you learn that it was actually Rufus who employed Avalanche to try and kill Pres Shinra in a power struggle which is some ace backstory tbh that makes the character way more interesting

• 2 weeks later...