passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII Remake

one-armed dwarf

Thought I might beat the game without dying but it wasn’t to be.

Spoiler

Managed to die at the heads of the behemoth you fight during one of the sidequests in chapter 14. The funny thing is I killed him, and the message popped up saying he was dead, but at that exact moment Tifa and Barrett were dead and Cloud’s health was in the red, and the falling debris he causes killed Cloud... Oh well, my revenge was swift and sweet, kicked his ass second time around.

I'm back on this now. I finished the Wall Market, the bonus fight there was hard. Had the wrong materia equipped at first and struggled to get my ap up without taking damage which meant I was healing more than attacking. Did it slow but got there in the end. The rest of it was a bit of a slog, but not the worst thing to get my back in to it after the couple of weeks away. 

The sewers start pretty well but it did start to feel like a sewer level pretty quickly. Games are weird with their use of sewers, you don't really see it in other mediums. Out of there and in to the train yard, I'm trying to get people to learn their skills, which is a bit hard with Aerith because while she's perfect for the area with the damage she can do (got her flinging ice), there's usually not enough space for her to stay out of harms way 

Fuck sake I did not know that trick about destroying its horn ?

Sewers are a pretty easy way to just pad a game out. Copy paste a handful of textures and objects around. Blighttown/The Depths are the only time I can think where sewers have been good in a game

My copy was posted out last Thursday and hasn’t arrived yet. Argghhh!!! I’m dieing to play it, Bastard thing. 

Obviously not a huge deal and won’t matter to you lot but just had to vent somewhere. 

Right, opinions please? My copy still hasn’t come, it’s been 5 working days since posted so assuming it’s gotten lost but can’t do anything about it for 10 days. 

For about £5 more I can order it from Amazon and get it tomorrow and return my original copy of it if it ever arrives or sort that after 10 days. Should I do it? I’m desperate to play it but feel a bit of a twat messing about like that. 

15 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Depends on how ok you are with wasting money.

Well that shouldn’t be a issue since I can return 1 or do the whole lost in post thing if it doesn’t turn up. And it’s on credit card so not got £90 leaving my bank account straight away. 

20 minutes ago, Nag said:

Given how you felt about the demo... wait.

That was before I played the original. I think I can overlook the combat now just to see what they do regarding the story and characters now and to see it all in beautiful current gen glory. 

Edit - think I’ve just convinced myself to do it. Plus @Rikzilla makes a great point. ;) 

Yea tbh it's a lot like FFXIII where it leans heavily on the combat. The story can actually be fairly uneventful for long periods of time.

But I'll just say again that if you think of it as turn based first and action based second the combat makes a lot of sense, especially if you've played FFXIII and remember how that game works

On chapter 17 now, 46 hours. I’ve loved every second of this game and it’s sitting on a 10/10 for me so far.

Random bits and bobs (not story related):

Spoiler

I’m assuming since there are seven slots that each character has seven weapons. I’ve collected six weapons for Barrett and Tifa and five for Cloud and Aerith, so obviously I’ve missed a few. But the only one I actually spotted was the staff the you can steal from the train graveyard boss.

I’m obviously not gonna get the last summon as I assume I’m not going to meet Chadley between now and the end of the game. Revive is currently sitting on around 3300/5000AP (linked with the AP up materia since I got it) so I probably won’t max that out anyway. Shame.

The Shinra Combat Simulator was a fairly unwelcome interlude in the middle of Chapter 16. Just about the only good thing that came out of it was that I got an Exp Up Materia which I stuck on Cloud. But he’s only on level 36 so I assume he’s not gonna reach the max level by the end of the game.

I’ll most more detailed impressions after I finish the game.

Close to the end now. I finished the long sequence that opens Chapter 18. Might finish it tonight!

I also downloaded the free PS4 theme for this. It’s beautiful and it changes the music too. 

EZA have another spoilermode for this, from the PoV of a newcomer who had no idea WTF at the story in this.

Maybe @DisturbedSwan would find that interesting. Though I'm not sure what else can be said about the game at this point.

While on the subject of content creation Tim Rogers has a massive 3 hour review coming out next week for Patreon backers.