passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII Remake

one-armed dwarf

This is out on PS Plus this month I think? I saw this excellent thread over on resetera just now which has some great combat tips in the OP and figured I'd link it

https://www.resetera.com/threads/final-fantasy-vii-remake-ps-and-future-pc-newcomer-tips-tutorials-thread.387248/#post-59862230

One thing that I did not know at all is that dodging stops the ATB gauge from filling, so people who spam dodge end up with a really slow and horrible combat system without realising it. The thing is it's not an action game at all really but it's easy to think that it is.

https://streamable.com/o4j8u5

I really think everything they put into the combat of this game is so neat, they just need to fix aggro in the next part and have more materia setups at endgame (the one thing the original still has going for it over Remake).

I've got distill.io set up again to grab a PS5 for the DLC.

I’m confused by all this can’t upgrade the PS+ version to PS5 and get the DLC. Which is fucking ridiculously stupid. Fuck Square for that. Wankers.

Saying that, I’m a sucker and still want the PS5 update and DLC. So, am I better off not redeeming the + version and buying it in a sale later? I know when you own games on + it doesn’t let you buy them so would it effectively lock me out of the upgrade unless I buy the physical version again? 

What a stupid problem/concern that doesn’t need to exist.

I think you can redeem the disc version of the ps4 copy, I dunno all that backwards compat shit on PS is weird to me. I like how PC is just the game automatically becomes better when the hardware does, but console stuff just has never taken that into account til now

Even if it gets a PC port tho I might still try and grab a PS5 cause I want to jump straight into hard mode and try a challenge playthrough (no weapon upgrades) with all the new improvements instead of starting again. I did that for the airbuster fight and it was really fun. The game needs a higher difficulty imo

Yea I get that but, what I’m saying though is if I get the + version it won’t let me buy it. So would I be locking myself out of the digital version upgrade if I do that? 

Saying that if I intend to buy it again anyway I may as well just not get the + version & save any confusion. But what will happen to those who get the + version when it comes time to upgrade since you can’t actually buy it again? Unless it lists the PS5 version as a separate purchase on the store. 

Oh right I forgot that was a thing.

If you want to upgrade to PS5 maybe hold off and don't get the plus version. I keep hearing about people tho trying to get games like Hitman (for example_) on their PS5 and it downloads the PS4 version for some reason, it sounds stupid. Of course that game has another stupid thing where the VR mode only works on the PS4 version. 

Sounds like Sony just messed up on the whole way this should be handled tbh, none of it seems very intuitive

13 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

If you want to upgrade to PS5 maybe hold off and don't get the plus version. I keep hearing about people tho trying to get games like Hitman (for example_) on their PS5 and it downloads the PS4 version for some reason, it sounds stupid. 

Sounds like Sony just messed up on the whole way this should be handled tbh, none of it seems very intuitive

I think that download issue has been solved via a firmware update now, last I heard anyway, not had any issues myself. 

I agree it should've been more intuitive but it's a whole new OS and there's bound to be some foibles they'll iron out, it has still only been less than 4 months since launch.

I think the way Square probably see it is that they're giving the game away with it included with PS+ on PS4 this month, but if you want the PS5 upgrade you've got to own a copy of the game, which sounds fair to me. 

Yeah the issue is more the weird conflict that can happen with PS Plus 'blocking' purchases, tho I admit I've never had that problem as I never register the free Plus games and cant claim to know what happens with different versions of a game. Tho I know that Brad over at Giantbomb was having issues recently with Control.

I've only ever used plus to play bloodborne online

• 3 weeks later...

Lighting is IMO such a big thing, I really thought a lot of the PS4 version had a weird flatness to it. You had all these massive light sources but not always a convincing sense of stuff reacting to the lighting. Which had a really bad effect with all the 2D assets in the game. But the improvements there look really good. The bit at 1:05 looked like shit on PS4, the formerly shitty pre-rendered picture of a plate looks like it's part of the world now especially with the light bouncing. The perspective is still a bit weird and 2D but it's an improvement.

Like it's not a completely changed version of the game, it looks more like how it was supposed to or something. Although I still don't really get why there's even sunlight in Midgar to begin with, I'm sure they told us it was permanently night in the og game. Maybe I'm getting mixed up with The Matrix.

• 1 month later...

The PS5 exclusivity is so bafflingly stupid I really don't know what they were thinking. I mean at the end of the day it's basically Sony paying Square to not release DLC for one of their systems.

I mean if their argument is that it couldn't work on PS4 I could sort of get it, tho at the same time the original was so visually shambolic looking on PS4 at times that I'd find it hard to believe that they're pushing things with the re-release

But it is frustrating and benefits nobody that these business deals are limiting the game to a platform which almost nobody can buy and probably won't become available at all this year, maybe even into the next year. Such is how bad the semiconductor crisis is right now. But lots more people will probably own a decently enough specced PC than a PS5 that could play it fine. So it is very frustrating and stupid

I highly doubt this wouldn't work on PS4, that system was the lead platform for the base game after all. And even if it wasn't that'd still be no excuse, I played Witcher 3 on Switch.

The deal itself just makes no sense. The game isn't even multiplatform. Everyone who was going to buy that DLC was going to do it through the Playstation store anyway. This seems like an agreement they made in 2018* or something when nobody was talking of Covid and they expected to push PS5 sales with it but kind of forgot to change anything about it post-2020.

*and even then it would have been a shitty move.

• 3 weeks later...

I've a 4K HDR capture card (one of my more pointless covid savings indulgences) and I tried it with my new TV on FFVII Remake. This is one of the games where the HDR stuff makes sense to me, cause there's shit you straight up don't see in the HDR version. Both in colours and effects, and different hues and things. So I captured this with it, youtube will make it look worse and it's not ps5 quality but it's purty I think. Aerith's flower shields are like big and firey bright

end game spoilers tho

Spoiler

Of course on SDR it looks like a multivitamin drink, I wish there was a way to make it look normal on both

I'm planning on going through this again when the PS5 update hits (and buying the Yuffie dlc).... I'm expecting it to look amazing on my new set.?