passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Kororinpa

Hendo

Amazing game.

I really wasn't expecting much to be honest, and I just bought it out of boredom having just finished Excite Truck, but it's bloody impressive!

If you like Monkey Ball, the Mercury games and Marble Madness, this is essential. It's far more responsive and controllable than the Wii version of Monkey Ball and there's no stupid mini-games that don't work.

There's loads of stuff to unlock too, from tunes to balls to secret levels.....

The multi has a cool twist where your mate can play using the nunchuck to tilt their course, or a seperate wiimote, which is a nice option.

Also, there's no lives so if you fall out you just keep going until you finish it, unlike Monkey Ball, which to be honest I've fallen out of love with after the 2nd one on the Cube - this fills that void nicely.

Here's some gameplay vids for those that are interested.

One, two, three and the 'how you play it' video.

aye, my gf got this today and it's brilliant.

Everything SMB:BB should have been and more besides.

the extra control you get breathes new life into the genre and the added bonus of unlockables gives it that special "one more go" feeling.

My only worry is how quickly I;m getting through it, I just hope theres more challenging stuff and maybemore levels to unlock...

It's worrying that i;ve said that about nearly every Wii game so far, they are all just too short and easy :s

I think that danger is there with it, but I've played it loads and it says I'm about 45% done, which is surprising as I've unlocked most of the balls and levels, so maybe there's a lot more to do.

Even if there isn't, I've already had enough Wii-patented shit-eating-grin fun moments with it that the price is worth it.

Having played it a lot more (and now I'm on the final world), I can say it is not as short as you'd expect. I should be at least 80% finished, yet the game says 56%.

It gets really hard and frustrating round the last 2 worlds, but nothing that won't be your own fault. As always, the controls work wonderfully, and the level design is top notch.

I think it's gonna take some doing to 100% it.

I got this for my birthday, and the wife and I fired it up this evening, just to see what it was like.

35 levels later..! Yeah, it's pretty good, isn't it! I

absolutely love it, the controls are spot on.

(soz for short post, posting from psp)

Funny Ed, i put it on fir the first time last night and 31 levels later... loving it! Altho i did only mean to put it on for 5 mins, i just wanted to see what its like.

Rekons ill come back to this after ive ravaged Sonic, I have 5 Wii games on the go at the moment and it just wont do.

yay just completed this, I agree that this is an essential purchase, I haven't even tried the co-op yet, (my missus wants to but her parents are staying at the moment so TV is for TV). but my god is it really satisfying. In fact we all know it is a really good game, but I would go as far to say it is one of the most satisfying games ever, when you finally get that green gem by flicking for a jump quickly turing the world on it's side then slamming your galaxy back down before straightening up, it's just like 'I did that'.

The game is hard towards the end but not hard for hards sake, it's hard because you slip or turn too far. If you fuck up then you fuck up. Not like in excite truck when there is an element of luck during a POW super tree run.

I'm currently on 96.3% done, and contary to what most reviews say, you won't be done with it in 10 hours as to unlock later stages you need set ammounts of gold ratings.

You tried to get a gold after the first world?! It's bloody hard!

As far as I know I have 2 Secret stages (one normal and the same one in mirror mode) and 4 bonus stages (2 normal, 2 mirrored) left to unlock.

It's not easy to 100% this thing, and it does take time and effort, yet it's one of the few games ever that I've been inclined to try to do.

Well I finished the main game tonight, just over 40% through I believe. Now I have mirror mode unlocked and a bunch of secret levels to do. I really love this game, though. It's one of my favourite games of recent times, that's for sure.

Edit: I posted this on NL, after wholehole asked for some impressions.

Just a few brief impressions, after finishing the main game.

It's very good. The control system is fantastic, possibly the best use of the Wiimote so far. You feel in complete control of the movement, it just feels right. The levels are quite short, and you have to collect the required amount of red crystals before you can go to the exit. Collecting the green crystal (one on each level), you can unlock extra secret levels. You also unlock extra balls, like the Panda, Dog, etc. Each have their own attributes and feel very different to play with.

Even though I sped through the main game in a very short amount of time, I'm only around 45% through the game. Mirror Mode is now available, and I have a host of Secret levels to unlock.

It really is a super game, and is so much better than Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, in every possible way. I haven't even touched the multi-player mode yet, which you can have P1 with the Wiimote, whilst P2 has the Nunchuk. Or you can use a Wiimote each.

The only downside is that this is yet another Wii game that is 4:3 display. Shame, as it's a nice looking game. Roll on the sequel.

onehundred.JPG

Hell yes.

10 hours do it all? Nope.

Kinda sad now that I've nothing more to do, but happy that that's the first game I've felt like 100 percenting in a long long time, and certaintly the first one in ages that I have actually done 100% .

The last Bonus level by the way (not the secret ones, it's a space level) will have you uttering one single word when you see its map.

And that word may well be "fuck".....

EDIT

I don't know much about this kind of thing Ed, but there are 2 different screen displays in the options menu.

post-62-1173389011.jpg

Yeah, I noticed the settings, but neither are true widescreen. I've found the best setting is to have the TV set to 4:3 (non widescreen) with the setting in the options screen set to 4:3, also.

And well done on getting 100%!

• 1 month later...

I put alot of time into Kororinpa of late, certainly makes you appreciate the effort it takes to get 100%, good effort Hendo.

Im about halfway through Mirror Mode, but for some reason I had the urge to go back and collect all the green crystals In Normal Mode. I was amazed at how much my skill level had risen, pissing through levels I had previously struggled on, but thats part of the games genius.

Is the Flash Ball pretty much the ultimate ball to use?

Cheers man, it never felt like a chore to do, except maybe the last few levels.

I loved every minute of it.

I used the flash ball all the time when I unlocked it, it probably is the best one to use to be honest. I couldn't go back to the marble anyway.

:)

• 5 months later...

In this weeks ChatterBoxRadio, Ara talks a bit about Kororinpa. I haven't listened to it yet, but apparently he has some good things to say about it.

Right click, save as

Alon, Ara, and Rich were all at the Play N Trade launch tournament/fiasco for Halo 3 last night. Scratched discs just weren't pretty. Rather than talk about the actual game, we choose to talk a bit about its aspect ratio in split screen. Listener and official ChatterBoxer eThug, PEN-15, gets his questions answered regarding how to go about entering the video game industry as a writer. Low and behold, Ara has some good things to say about a game - it's Kororinpa, and you might want to give it a try.

• 2 months later...

finally got round to playing this yesterday and finished the main mode and went back to try and get some gold medals near the start, only %45 done. have to agree with most of the previous comments, it's a great fun game, cleaver how it makes use of being able to completely spin the remote round and the level follows it, it's much harder to ballance the ball when your arm is twisted round too.