passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

I’m not fussed either way really but Sam would suit all the young characters they’ve got lined up in the series and they should save them selves the embarrassment of having a character called Richard Ryder. 

It fits a Marvel movie, I’m saying I wouldn’t do it. Especially when there’s a perfectly suitable alternative. 

But I’m ok with whatever they do, I’m not a fan of either Nova, really.

Speaking of Marvel names, and this is in the trailer so no spoiler, but in NWH they ask Doc Ock what his name is and he says Otto Octavius and they laugh at him. Maybe because I’ve grown up with it I’ve never thought about it but it doesn’t strike me as a funny name at all. 

While Nova does do cool stuff:

Spoiler

c8fe732b106c770eb8d6c10d3cbaf51e.jpg

As a 70's character, "The Human Rocket" is a bit naff. There is speculation this might be a Xander-based prequel thing. Which likely means the series will end with Thanos.

The only 2 Richard Nova stories I remember are Annihilation and then The Black Order series they did a couple of years ago. Neither of which I liked all that much. There are probably exceptions but I’m way less interested in Marvel space. I like Marvel Earth.

Which is why I prefer Sam because he’s in the Champions comic along with Ms Marvel and Miles where he’s kind of fun. 

But again they can do whatever. This will be another blank canvas for Marvel I think where they can make Nova whatever they want because nobody knows who he is. Like what is the defining personality trait of Nova, I couldn’t tell you. He was suicidal and had a death wish in Annihilation. That’s it.

Speaking of character’s nobody knows anything about I think Moon Knight starts this week

But Moon Knight is the one I know something about 🙁

But since they're going the multiple personality route going by the trailer there's potential for them to let Oscar Isaac go ham and chew up the scenery which does make it the one I'm most interested in seeing.  At the very least it'll be Marvel's Split*

I'm not that fussed with what they do.  It's just not gonna have much of a cosmic horror element due to it being MCU that were in more recent stuff so just do whatever I guess.

* This is speculation, don't worry

I think you will get some cosmic horror in this, even if it’s light. There’s bits in the trailers of Konshu storming down the hall at Moon Knight. It’s dark, creepy, camera is at a tilted angle for that disorientation feeling.

I’m hoping what they do is play on the “is Konshu real or not” thing. It’ll be more fun playing with the idea of is Moon Knight crazy or is there really a moon god. 

Writing this I’ve just remembered that the suit seems to appear on him now in a supernatural way. So I think you will get some elements like that. Probably toned down a bit, though.

What comics did you read out of interest? I’ve read essentially no Moon Knight so everything I know about the character is more or less osmosis. 

Actually there was a recent Avengers story where Moon Knight beat up all the Avengers, stole their powers and took over the Earth. Probably less said about that the better, though. 

13 minutes ago, Maf said:

What comics did you read out of interest? I’ve read essentially no Moon Knight so everything I know about the character is more or less osmosis. 

I've dipped around some early stuff but I'd say the Warren Ellis run is the one that stood out which I believe is pretty much the general consensus so I don't have any more deeper insight than that.  It's pretty stripped back though, I keep meaning to try something a bit grander.

Moon knight - Episode 1

Very good pilot episode. Reminds me a lot of Legion, a very underrated comic book show. Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke are really good in their respective roles, and I'm definitely more impressed by this than I have been the first episode of the last few series. 9/10

Moon Knight’s really good. It’s strange and mysterious like Wandavision but in a really different way. Wandavision was a “everything’s not like it seems” kind of show, and unravelled over the series. Moon Knight is like a bumper car ride of weird. Just thrusting from one scene in to the next without understanding why and what for. The further it goes on the weirder too. They do a good job at having the end of the episode take place in his real life while throwing all rules and reality out the window so it’s like what is happening.

It’s not as dark as I was lead to believe. The middle of the episode has a car chase sequence with that Wham song Wake Me Up so it’s lighter and more normal action in the middle. But the beginning and especially the end is kind of fucked up and I want more of that. 

Overall really liked it. Even though you only get to see him in the costume for a tiny bit he is immediately striking. Moon Knight comes off as unhinged and dangerous straight away. Very cool. 

Moon Knight episode one is slow and has a man run around proclaiming he doesn’t know what’s going on for the first 30 minutes of its 40 minute run time. The British accents are laid on very thick. I only watched it for Oscar Isaac. As soon as the costume went on at the end I was like oh right here we go again.

I won’t be watching any more.