passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

Bale is confirmed as the villain for Thor 4, but no news on who it is yet. I think it’s the Minotaur guy that runs Roxxon. Taika already said he got really into the Jason Aaron run on Thor, that’s why he wanted to do Jane Foster Thor, and The Minotaur guy is the biggest ongoing villain in that story (There are far more powerful ones but for ongoing villains I feel like he is the main one).

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been considering only the most important thoughts and opinions today and have come to the conclusion that Spider-Man vs Doc Ock is still the best fight in any super hero movie. Some of the CG and wire work is a bit outdated but amazing choreography, inventive use of powers, great music and most like what you would actually find in a comic

Yeah, that's a good one. I always like t when he jumps out of the windows and the immediately shoots two webs to zip back and stand on the side of the train.

I'd struggle to find a better Hero vs Villain fight as well. As far as comic book movies with a singular, defining scene go, I think No Man's Land from Wonder Woman would be a close second for me.

Singular defining scenes is easier. Avengers standing in a circle, the opening dance bit to GotG, Superman catching the helicopter, Superman flying for the first time in Man of Steel, Cap jumping on the grenade, Iron Man testing out his suit for the first time. In fact speaking of Iron Man, it has one of my favourite types of story telling moments in the MCU which is this indirect, character building moment about Tony even without Tony in the scene. It might not be the defining Tony Stark moment but still think it is very effective.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Marvel have pushed all their movies to the next planned release slot. So Black Widow is now releasing in November instead of Eternals, Eternals is being pushed to Feb 2021 displacing Shang Chi, etc.

Don’t know what this means for the TV shows. 

So I’m part the way through my MCU journey.

I’m watching in the chronological order, not release order, which I’m not sure I would recommend, as a complete newcomer would have stuff spoiled for them by things like the post credits sequences.

Started with Captain America, which I’ve seen before and I enjoyed then and I enjoyed now.

Then Captain Marvel, which was alright - not bad, not amazing. Then the first two Iron Man films, which I’ve seen before and I like both of them.

I started Thor before I went to bed, also seen before.

I’m mostly just looking forward to End Game, even though I largely know what happens due to just the nature of the internet that spoilers spill out as everyone assumes that everyone has seen it, so I know some bits and pieces.

MCU Chronological order.

So I think I want to do a viewing of the MCU in chronological order (once I have Captain Marvel and Endgame on Blu-ray). I'm only including the movies, the post-credit scenes, and the shorts (basically the stuff that comes packaged with the films), nothing from the shows, because that's just too long.

I think this is it....

1. Captain America: The First Avenger
2. Agent Carter (short)
3. Captain Marvel
4. Iron Man
5. Iron Man 2
6. The Incredible Hulk
7. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer (short)
8. Iron Man 2 post-credits scene
9. Thor
10. The Consultant (short)
11. The Avengers
12. Item 47 (Short)
13. Iron Man 3
14. All Hail the King (Short)
15. Thor: The Dark World
16. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
17. Guardians of the Galaxy
18. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
19. Avengers: Age of Ultron
20. Ant-man
21. Captain America: Civil War
22. Black Panther
23. Spider-man: Homecoming
24. Doctor Strange
25. Ant-man and the Wasp
26. Thor: Ragnarok
27. Avengers: Infinity War
28. Ant-Man and the Wasp post-credits scene
29. Captain Marvel post-credits scene
30. Avengers Endgame

Edit: Okay, I updated it based on the order posted by the Russo brothers' on Twitter (although I still kept AM&tW and Ragnarok swapped around, because they have to take place at the exact same time in order for Ragnarok's ending to lead directly into IW, so I think it's still best to put AM&tW first).

From Reddit.

/mcu

Watching in that order in the reddit link above seems like hard work. eg, watching Ant Man and the Wasp, hitting pause, watching Ragnarok and Infinity War, then going back to see the post credits of Ant Man (or watching it on youtube).

Tho I guess Ant Man and Wasp is tonally weird in terms of its release placement, and even weirder with the scene at the credits.

Man, I watched that film on a plane along with Venom.  I preferred Venom lol.

Ant Man and Wasp feels odd in connection to the others in general. I liked the first film, but something about this one upon rewatching seems a lesser film. I can't put my finger on what that is, exactly.

Venom is a dumb 90's character, created by Todd "Spawn" McFarlane. The film was spot on tonally, in that regard.

Ant-Man & the Wasp is a super disposable movie but would take it over the first one any day. Ant-Man 1 easily the worst of the MCU. It’s everything that’s bad about the MCU distilled in to a movie. 

I'd still say Thor: Darkworld has that crown. I mean, I personally think GoTG 2 represents the worst of the MCU in it's humour. But Darkworld is just a dud on every level.

People seem to shit on Thor 2 a lot, but I don't think it's that bad, just a bit forgettable. IMO Iron Man 2 is the worst MCU film, it just felt like a lazy sequel to a good film. Iron Man 3 seems to cop a lot of flack as well, but I really like that one (apart from the slightly shitty last 10-15mins). 

I quite like both Ant-Man films. I had some issues with 2 mainly down to how it fits into the timeline but that was mainly pedantry on my part. Again, they are both pretty forgettable and disposable, but not bad.

I could take or leave Dr Strange, only seen it the once at the cinema and never bothered to revisit it.

I like Thor 2. It’s pretty lifeless for a MCU film but I found it enjoyable enough.

The Ant-Man series is Marvel at it’s broadest, safest, for families and all ages they can be. And I don’t mind that, I liked the second one because I really like Wasp, it had some good jokes and the post credit scene and plot points do help explain Endgame (Even if I don’t think it’s required viewing to watch Endgame, people can work it out). But the first Ant-Man is just so dull. It has no, I don’t know, just nothing inspired in it at all. Except for the one scene where the guy does the exposition dump but with his voice in other character’s mouths. That’s the only thing about it that I like. The rest of it is as boring as can be.

I turned Ant-Man 1 off half way through on my second watch. I’ve never done that during the Dark World ?‍♂️

EDIT: It might also be because I just don’t like the Ant-Man character.