passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Monster Hunter: World

radiofloyd

I've been thinking about this a hell of a lot over the last few days, specifically the journeys I and the people that hunted along with me. The times we got to grips with fighting the first real big monster and feeling like a champ when we struck it down. The times where we'd repeatedly fight Barroth to get his armour set so we could fight the harder monsters and the times where we'd all queue up to go against an urgent Lagiacrus. And when 4U came out and some of those monsters were lost we found new favourites. Kecha Wacha, Nercylla, Magala and Steve. Generations come around and some came and went. Familiar faces had some new tricks up their sleeve and some old guys came back to show what a true pain in the arse they could be.

I'm sad that we're potentially leaving some monsters behind, maybe even for good. They're sort of going to be there in spirit in monsters that have been designed from the ground up to work in MHW, but actually having the living breathing models there is something I'm going to pine for. While great Jaggi and Quropeco might have been super hard to beat when you first venture into the world of Monster Hunter, eventually when you become a better hunter and get further into the game and they show up you basically drag them into a fight as an unwilling participant, it's like fighting in a car park and knowing that you're on easy mode so you start pulling extra bodies into the ruck just because you can. Chances are those are gone. that makes me sad because it sort of ages you to when you joined in the series. Great Jaggi won't be the whipping boy anymore.

On the upside I look forwards to the people entering the series with fresh eyes. I think maybe they'll look fondly on their time with the whipping boi's of the lower rungs like great Jagras and Pukei Pukei.

And while we're here I hope there's a lot of surprises along the way similar to  Gypceros, Zinorgre, Zamtrios, Congalala, Deviljho, Quropeco, and the Seltas Queen. I want to hear the same WTF's and wow's I did when I saw that stuff the first time I saw those things happen.

Not long now. Come join in the hunt!

47 minutes ago, Sambob said:

I bet there will be some sort of DLC along at some point for new mons, or some expansion etc, worry not.

Yup, there's already one confirmed from previous entries. I won't spoil what it is though.

Played some more beta last night and managed to take down the third monster (can't remember it's name - it was the t-rex with wings). Had an epic fight – other monsters got involved, I was poisoned and set on fire and my cat thing kept pinning it down with ropes. Seemed to get a very basic grasp of the greatsword as well, the combat clicked and I could string together a few combo's.

I almost felt sorry when the beast started whimpering off, though not sorry enough to whack it in the face some more with my sword.

Can't wait to play the full version!

It's noob friendly. You can defend yourself somewhat with the shield, although it's not going to absorb huge hits. Hold the shield up to stop yourself being flashed. You can use items while the weapon is drawn too which is quite nice. Use the shield to hit the head of the monster and the sword everywhere else. Shield hits cause KO damage when they connect with the head.

Or you could be a big boy and use the Great Sword. That can still block (albeit at the cost of sharpness) and you will be able to use the reach to cut off tails and reach heads when they are higher up than what the Sword and Shield can.

Long sword is about transition the right moves into one another and then understanding the charge ability. You need to be getting consistent hits basically, it's a good weapon and doesn't take all that much to get used to I'd say, although its not necessarily in the beginner friendly bracket. 

Nah. It used to be you were stuck with whatever you took with you on a hunt, but they changed it so that you can changed to whatever you have in your inventory back at a camp.

It is worth having a plan b weapon, but that's quite far down the road for someone who's new to the game. At some point you're going to need parts of the monster that you can't get easily with the Sword and Shield. Usually it wouldn't be a problem since you'd be hunting with friends, but seeing as you're flying Billy no mates on Xbox there's a chance you're going to run into a dead end where you're going to need carves that really require blunt to break off the monster.

Monsters like Uragaan and Gravios are a right old pain in the cock to smash apart with blades too. I have no idea if those monsters are making a return, but you can bet your bottom dollar that there's going to be one inclusion that bounces like a motherfucker apart from a few hard to reach spots. Might be worth investing a bit of time on the hammer so when those opportunities arise you can deal with it.

Or you know, do the sensible thing and come hunt with us. I've been on at the same time as you've been playing Final Fantasy. We can squad up and go on a rampage. I think with this game we've got all bases covered there's that many people getting it.

Party size is four, although you can set up squads which can have up to 50 in...

An in-game community invitation system called “Squad” has been implemented in Monster Hunter: World.

Squad Key Points

• A Gathering Hub usable by Squad members is available
  • You can be a member of up to eight Squads
  • A Squad can have up to 50 people
  • Identifiable messages can be created among Squad members

Squad Formation

You can set the Squad name, symbol icon, messages, etc. yourself to form a Squad all your own, and participate in Squad with the same goals. Squad members have icons before their character names (only in the Gathering Hub), and the Squad’s icon and name is displayed on their Guild Cards.