passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Monster Hunter: World

radiofloyd

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Monster Hunter: World will launch for PlayStation 4 in Japan, and PlayStation 4 and Xbox One worldwide on January 26, Capcom announced at the 2017 PlayStation Press Conference in Japan.

A PC version is due out at a later date.

In Japan, a “Liolaeus Edition” PlayStation 4 Pro will be released alongside the game for 49,980 yen.

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/monster-hunter-world-launches-january-26

Yeah true @Nag.

I didn't bother with them though, dived straight into MP on MH4U and pretty much learnt everything there is to know from Sly. After about 10 hours things finally started to click and it wasn't quite so bamboozling anymore, still ask him about things even now though as I still don't understand some minor things.

I think with World it'll be much easier for folks to get into. Me, Sly and our usual MH crew will be around to guide you through it anyway so I wouldn't worry :) 

I'd say playing single player is good for learning the game at your own pace more so you're less worried about fucking up, collecting extra materials for armour and weapons (you don't get near enough for slaying a single Monster) and, well, just hanging out in the game.  I think Monster Hunter games have a satisfying busy work gameplay loop with a relaxing atmosphere at times and that's hard to enjoy in a group.

So, no, it's not just about the multiplayer.  The multiplayer functions exactly like the single player except scales the difficulty up a bit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Who's in for the beta? I think it's going to be pretty bare bones from what they announced, just 3 monsters and a set of weapons with what I assume will be prefixed armour sets. Glorified arena quests out in the open world, in other words.

It's a great opportunity for those that have never played to get their beaks wet and see if they're going to like it, although I can see it putting people off as they won't get to experience the progressive part of gathering materials, carves and other gubbins that go into building better weapons and armours.

I won't be back for the beta sadly but i should be finally be back for the main game. I don't want to be playing catch up with everyone else..

This game is pretty grindy but i'm really interested in what @Nag thinks of this. He'll probably hate it (it's not a million miles away from the soul games) :lol: BUT i think it's possible this might be the 'just right' porridge in goldilocks and it clicks. 

4 hours ago, Chimay said:

I'm all up for the beta - not played a MH before so intrigued by what all the fuss is about.

You need to give it a fair old shake. Depending on which weapon you choose to use it can take a while to click. Most people go in and treat it like a hack and slash, whereas in reality it's more like a turn based boss fight that will end up in you eating shit if you over extend. It's all about positioning and punishing telegraphed attacks. Doing that doesn't come quickly, it wasn't until I played with Sam back in MHU3 that it made sense for me fighting the bigger monsters. I think trying to be flashy with the more complex weapons is where I (and others) tend to slip up. Generally the community recommends starting with the Great Sword because the mechanics around it train you into good habits, plus it's always a good weapon to fall back on if the weapon you choose to main isn't working out.

Reasons why?

• It has a very limited moveset with very deliberate and methodical actions to it that lock you in once you input. It learns you that being spamming with inputs and not lining up hits will result in you cutting air and opening yourself to being hit.
  • It teaches you to get in the habit of sheathing when you're not in the process of attacking a monster since you move so slowly when it's drawn. Avoiding getting hit is just as important as hitting the monster itself.
  • You can block at the expense of losing some sharpness. You can draw into a block to prevent yourself from being flashed which is super handy. Also if you do happen to bite off more than you can chew you can block incoming damage as long as it's not too mad as long as you have stamina to do so. That's a last resort tactic, but it's a really nice get out of jail free card if you're taken off guard.
  • Everyone likes a good Great Sword user. Everyone loves a great Great Sword user. You wont find yourself taking shit from other players because of the bad reputation some of the other weapons have.