passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Yakuza 0

DANGERMAN

Unlocked the fourth fighting style for Kiryu by finishing the estate agent stuff. Not sure I'll ever do the same for Majima as the last club battle was pretty much impossible.

Doesn't mean anything though, as I'm pretty sure I'm right at the end of the story.

• 10 months later...

12 quid for this is a proper bargain. Think I paid 20 for it and felt like I had more than my money’s worth.

Do as many side missions as you can as there are some of the best moments in them.

10 hours ago, Hendo said:

12 quid for this is a proper bargain. Think I paid 20 for it and felt like I had more than my money’s worth.

Do as many side missions as you can as there are some of the best moments in them.

I've done a few now, i've been a TV producer and put a halt to a panty selling operation. I also played a few games of darts whilst drunk and beat the shit out of more people with Beast mode. Think i'm starting to get to grips with Mahjong as well which is a bonus (I got given a really nice Mahjong set as a wedding gift which i've never used).

• 4 weeks later...

I played the intro on the PC last night, just up until the first save point: that's a couple of fights, a bit of walking and talking and some karaoke. I laughed when the character decides to fight a couple of drunks blocking your way, and it flashes up "DRUNKARDS" in big white letters across the screen as the fight starts.

It seems like a good port, running at around 55-60fps at 1080p on ultra settings on my PC. I'm fine with that, but a little tweaking could probably get it running at a constant 60 if I was bothered.

Some of it looks amazing, but there are also a few sections where it looks a little lower budget. 

a word of advice. With your heat gauge, it's not always best to use it just because you've got it, particularly on bosses. The more full it is the quicker you move and the more damage you do, on bosses that can be worth more than the limited damage a heat move will do to them

Yeah as Hendo says @Craymen Edge it's the old engine that was cross-platform with the PS3 (used from Yakuza 3 to Kiwami, the Yakuza/Fist of the North Star game coming out in October also uses it though).

The Dragon Engine is the new engine exclusively for current-gen and has just been used in Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 6 so far.

• 1 month later...

Everyone seems to have enjoyed this from the offset but I must have played for about 4 hours now and I’m already finding myself make me play and that there must be something fun around the corner.

The story seems ok but the dialogue is repeated over and over so I’ve found myself just skipping it. 

I do like the city and I know it was never going to happen but the amount of buildings you can enter and interactive with must be at most 8% of the starting area and there’s little charm to any of it. I assume it really opens up later with different far larger locations? I saw Tokyo pier on the taxi selection screen greyed out.

I’ll stick with it but I’m a little disappointed with how easy it is (on normal) and how little I’ve done and enjoyed it so far. Cut scene cut scene fight cut scene collect pocket tissues fight.

I think the most enjoyable conversation so far was with a cop that had me show him what I was carrying. He seems nice. 

2 hours ago, Blakey said:

Don’t skip the dialogue! Stick with it ?

Swear you’ve got the attention span of a wet salmon ?

? bare in mind I’ve seen a lot of yakuza movies so I’ve seen far better stories/dialogues. A few of them starring yakuza star Beat Takeshi (probably spelt wrong ok). And like I said they repeat a lot of information like Shenmue so I’m missing nothing. 

What i forgot to say was. Oh my God, The first forced karaoke. How hard is that!?!? And then I tried to dance at the disco. Never again. 

Surprise twist! I sat down with it this morning and everything fell into place. I bloody love it now. I think I played maybe 4 hours today and loved every minute. The first few hours you seem really locked in as to what you can do and I get that now. But today I’ve been wondering the streets and playing darts, pool, drinking, coming across side quests, finding weird girl cards.

I love the police guy that asks to search you and our friendship took us to him telling me about his dark past. 

Im also really digging the combat. It didn’t seem to do a good job of explaining that but now I’ve worked out the d pad and stumbled across being able to use my collected weapons (from a clown).

Even my brother stuck around this evening to watch me play because the dialogue is so fun and the situations so silly. I’ve done a lot of the ones people have talked about here and on podcasts like the stolen video game and the bondage girl..

Spoiler

..Practicing in the park and then the children watch omg ?

So I’m really digging it. Went from oh well, at least it was only £15 to wow, I’ve had my monies worth already and im just scratching the surface. I can now see the Shenmue comparisons although I wish you could try to talk to everyone even if they were to just tell you they’re busy. 

One other weird thing I had to look up is not being able to wear collected clothes until you’ve completed the game. Seems strange. 

So yeah I’m glad I picked it up because a friend did on release and hated it but I reckon he gave up pretty soon. Looking forward to seeing how far he got. If he never even saw the pinky chop off I’ll know.

Does the area you can access become larger? And is there a cat cafe? (Sounds random but saw a gif. Not sure if from 0 or not). I’m looking forward to being able to handle businesses.

This is the kind of Sega that I love. Nobody does it better.