passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

VR Headsets

DisturbedSwan

So the other VR contenders have their own threads so thought I'd start one for the Vive.

Here's an interview with a Vive Engineer that explains the new 'Pre' they unveiled at CES 2016:

Pre announcement trailer:

Demonstration:

'Pre' is essentially their 2nd development kit and is closer to what the consumer Vive will be like.

Pre-orders start in February (no price as of yet) and it's set to go on sale in April 2016.

Just found this quote from a Tom's Hardware article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sthash.oTCHLd9B.uxfs

Pricing was also not discussed, but Mcree stated that HTC is focusing on making the most premium home VR experience possible, which the final price will likely reflect.

Don't like the sound of the 'most premium VR experience possible' all I think about when I hear that phrase is £££££££££££££££££££££ :( PS VR it is.

• 1 month later...
The HTC Vive will cost $799, $200 more than the Oculus Rift. The price has leaked today ahead of its expected reveal at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next week, and while it does sound quite pricey, the Vive comes with rather a lot of kit.
The Vive headset ships with two controllers, which you'll use in each hand, along with a couple of base stations to track your position around the room. Sticking with the 'two' theme, you'll also get two games: Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption. If all that sounds reasonable, you can pre-order the Vive from February 29; the first units will arrive sometime in April.
For comparison, the cheaper Rift comes with the hardware, two games, an Oculus remote and an Xbox One pad, although it doesn't include an Oculus Touch controller, which will be released later this year. The Vive, thanks to its body tracking system, needs a bit more kit than the Rift, and considering that, I think the higher price point is reasonable.
Out of my price range, but reasonable considering what the Vive is. If you need a reminder what the Vive is, have a read of Wes's hands on with a dozen games coming to HTC Vive this year, Also, if you're still on the fence, here's his handy face-off between the Vive and the Oculus Rift.
Thanks, Polygon.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-htc-vive-will-cost-799/

there's a test app up on Steam so you can see if your pc is GAME READY

My pc meets the recommended specs, ran the test, it fails on the graphics card which is the one they specifically mention. Very strange, but if I could afford one, and had the space to turn my room in to a VR space, I reckon I could run it

Pretty crazy:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/29/htc-sold-15000-800-vive-virtual-reality-headsets-in-10-minutes/

HTC sold 15,000 $800 Vive virtual reality headsets in 10 minutes
JEFF GRUBB FEBRUARY 29, 2016 3:50 PM
htc-vive-31-930x720.jpg
Image Credit: Dean Takahashi

Virtual reality is still in its early days, but it’s amazing how capable it is of making your bank account look a lot less impressive.

HTC revealed today that is has sold more than 15,000 HTC Vive VR kits in the first 10 minutes after it went on sale for preorder. That’s not bad for an unproven technology that costs $800 and requires a $1,000 PC. This comes as companies like Facebook, Google, and Samsung are all moving into this sector. Investment bank Goldman Sachs predicts VR could grow into a $110 billion business by 2020 along with the similar augmented reality tech that mixes digital images with the real world — and Vive is one of the consumer products that could drive those revenues.

Vive is a PC peripheral (from HTC and its partners at Valve) that you wear over your eyes and ears. This enables you to feel like you are inside of a game or a simulated experience. And unlike other VR devices, Vive has a number of extra sensors that can track your movement around a room. This amps up the feeling that you are present in another place, and it is the main selling point of the Vive compared to its competition.

HTC Vive is the second major high-end VR headset to go on sale this year. In January, Oculus VR — a subsidiary of Facebook — starting selling its Rift head-mounted display for $600. The company didn’t share any numbers about that performance, but the first shipments sold out in a matter of minutes. That pushed new orders from March into April and then into May by the end of the first day. Today, new Rift preorders won’t ship until July.

These early successes are showing that VR has a lot of interest. This is something we’ve seen with mobile virtual reality and devices like Samsung’s Gear VR (that it builds in partnership with Oculus) and the Google Cardboard phone holders. This market is on track for $861 million in spending this year.

Many people have wondered if the build up to VR over the last few years will lead to any money, and now we have several products where consumers are showing they’re ready to part with their cash. Now it’s just up to software developers to built momentum on top of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Not for me, the future isn't gaming using a headset, now a startrek holodeck in my spare room that i can live with!

Im a bit retro not as in ed, but as i feel gaming should be social, LAN at home or multiplayer over the same screen etc... or just play till you die and pass the pad, VR does nothing for me and tbh its not a sharing experience. Plus £349 hhhmm its a little steep.

Merged this to turn it into the general VR Headset thread if that's ok with everyone. Seems daft to have them scattered.

In terms of getting one, no. I'd love to have a go on any of them though. It feels like the technology is nearly catching up with the vision of how this should work.

£349 for PS VR is a bit of a bargain really compared to the other two, still expensive for sure, but more affordable and easier to swallow than £530 for the Rift and £700 for the Vive.

Still going to keep my pre-order for the Rift at the moment, but will put a pre-order in with ShopTo for the PS VR too, undecided as to which to get at the moment really.

Not for me, the future isn't gaming using a headset, now a startrek holodeck in my spare room that i can live with!

Im a bit retro not as in ed, but as i feel gaming should be social, LAN at home or multiplayer over the same screen etc... or just play till you die and pass the pad, VR does nothing for me and tbh its not a sharing experience. Plus £349 hhhmm its a little steep.

I couldn't disagree more, maybe if you have tons of mates that live near by that would be easy, but over the past 5 years I don't think I've ever had someone over to play FIFA or anything at my house, if my mates come round we drink some beers and then head off down the pub, I play purely over the net or on my own nowadays. University was the only time I regularly played on the same screen with people.

Also, it's worth noting there's a Multiplayer VR game coming out on PS VR called 'Rigs' which you'll be able to play online, and whoever is in the same room as you will be able to see what you're seeing on the PS VR headset on your tv.