passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

MFG Netflix Club - The One I Love - 07/09/15 - 14/09/15

RoboticMonk3y

I've read plenty of stuff stating neither Ronson or Sievey wanted it to be a biopic.

As a story about outsiders bought together by their art, and eventually torn apart by trying to change to fit in, I really liked it. I was surprised by how bleak it was. I thought the ending was great.

I don't know too much about Sidebottom but the comedy with Borat and Lemon is they pull people out of their comfort zones by saying or doing something offensive.

I don't think Sidebottom's appeal was that he was a failure, I thought the comedy appeal of him was that he sangs songs that were clearly about his daily life and interests. Be it his town he grew up in or some small football team he liked. He had a DIY working class thing that people connected with. Kinda like a modern day George Formby or someone like that.

I know a lot of influential bands like Sonic Youth and New Order were big fans too.

I guess. He was an entertainer though, there was nothing fictional or fabricated about him as far as I know. That's a tenuous link. Jasper Carrott stood on stage and sang songs and told jokes. Would you class him in the same Venn diagram circle as Sidebottom and Formby?

I can't wait until the next film comes up as I'm fucking fed up with this Frank bollocks.

Sorry, I've been a little lax with this thread, life got kinda busy of late, so thank you to whichever Mod kindly changed the title.

I watched this in bits over the weekend.

I have to say that I was a little disappointed, but perhaps that's my fault for expecting a film actually about frank sidebottom.

Taking a step back, it makes me think that someone did a pitch of a film about Frank sidebottom, and it was bought up and made by someone who hasn't ever actually seen any of his work. I think perhaps my opinion of the film was jaded somewhat by the fact that maybe I was expecting a bit more of a biopic instead of a wacky buddy movie. It was about the magic of making something happen.

If it was just some random guy without the frank sidebottom head on then maybe I would have taken the film a little differently, much in the same way that if the transformers films were all re-named to "Robot Space dudes", then maybe I'd have enjoyed them, and it wouldn't have felt like someone spoiling something precious to me.

ah well, I've seen far worse I guess :|

I tried The Hunt the other day and I got as far as the little girl setting up the great fall ("like a rod....") and I'm gonna struggle to watch this.

I will try my best, as I've already seen Network, to finish it this week.

I too have seen blackfish, and concur, grim.

I've not seen tank girl since the 90's I wonder how it's aged?

I've not heard of rudderless.

As for network.

It's interesting to see how the media has massive influence on people, and how the people watch what they're told to watch. how TV lives and dies based on ratings rather than output.

While the film looks and feels a little dated (some of those haircut/glasses combos where pretty special), I think the underlying message was still the same. a select few govern what we end up seeing. I think there's a particularly great rant from Bill Hicks that backs ups the underlying message of this film.

It was an interesting film to watch, but maybe me watching it slit into chunks over a few days left me with a feeling like the film stretched on a little.

Glad I watched it though.