passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Duck

So I had a go of Halo 3 last night, the first time I've turned the Xbox on for a while. It was nice to leave all the Christmas exertions behind me and get back to doing what I do worst - killing alien scum!

Watched the opening cutscene, which Maf reckons is the best ever...🤔...then got down to rescuing Sgt Johnson, who'd foolishly been taken by the Brutes. I'm expecting big things of this game. Perhaps it's been talked up too much by @Mafand others. It's reputation precedes it. I'm not expecting miracles, tho. Just a well crafted narrative to close this trilogy out. And guns. Lots of guns.

Yes, this is certainly a great campaign. There seems to be more variety than in 2, and everything seems a bit more precise - although that might be me just getting better at the game. It does happen - eventually 😄.

One thing is for certain, the difficulty has definitely been nerfed on normal. The brutes are going down far easier than in 2, and I'm cutting thru the flood like, well, water.

Not that I'm complaining. You can still die fast if you go in like a nutter.

As you can see from below, I've dealt with the Scarab and am now back with Arby.

feacd676-b37f-41bf-bcb2-f98e32af81f8.png

deb099b2-a71c-47bb-9b7f-bdc4abdee952.png

There's a double scarab battle in this that had me reaching for the hard liquor. Fookin' Nora. So many ways to die in that fight - enemies driving, hovering, flying or just plain shooting you from turrets. Got thru in the end because the first one turned out to be a pushover if you just got into the passenger seat of a hover plane, because the pilot basically just flew over to it and you could exit and blow the thing up.

Now I'm on the long road to kill the prophet of truth, or at least I hope you get to kill the mouthy bastard. And I've got some unexpected allies - the flood! Yes, that's right, me and the flood are now like 🤞, apparently.

A lot of it was gaming suicide after failing to drop onto the first scarab. I do take a few chances with the chief, tho, when the flak gets real.

It's funny, because in real life I'd never run into a horde of psychopathic gun toting aliens, armed with only a half empty needler.

Done! The prophet of truth is dead, the flood has been sent packing, the Arbiter is heading off home, and the chief is in the deep freeze!

I was calling this my best Halo game (since it's all about lists around here) but the last couple of acts, Cortana and Halo, were a bit of a drag to be honest, especially Cortana - which just went on and on in this unattractive underworld with unreasonable quantities of flood. I didn't mind the final warthog drive, tho. At least there were a couple of checkpoints, unlike the one in CE.

Yeah, decent end to the trilogy. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth playing the second trilogy ending with infinite or just play the new one. Everyone seems to have a bit of a down on 5, for some reason.

Ayyy, my man finally graduated from Halo school. I say play what you want now. You did the important 3. Skip straight to Infinite, it's the most different so some nice variety. Or play ODST and Reach see some games not about Chief. Or play 4 and 5. I don't get why those games get a bad rap. They're still good, fun Halo games. 

Both are pretty good.

ODST you're the underdog in a place that's fallen and you're essentially guerrilla fighting your way through the direst of consequences without having any of the comforts you're used to. Also a semi open world where the city is a character. You'll see what I mean if you play it.

Reach is about stalling for time before the inevitable happens, but feeling like a badass while you do it.

Personally I'd say play both, but if you only have time to play one, do Reach. It's a masterpiece. 

10 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

Also a semi open world where the city is a character. You'll see what I mean if you play it.

Yes, this. It’s genius. You can miss it in the beginning but once you spot what’s happening it’s very clever. More games should do shit like that. 

You can enjoy Infinite on a surface level due to its fun gameplay mechanics, but as I said before, if you skip 4 and 5 you're going to be completely lost on the plot. Infinite does this very videogame'y thing where it came out 20 years after the first game but still manages to have reference to literally every other Halo game in existence, Wars included. So the more you have played going in, the more you'll get out of some tidbits here and there. With 4 and 5 obviously being the most important pillars. (But you can give Spartan Assault a miss, that's kind of horrendous and pointless.)

For the first time in my Halo adventure I sort of put my controller down today playing ODST, and thought 'I don't know if I can be arsed with this one.' 

It's just a bit arcadey in design,  at least in the first bit, like as though it's on rails and you're just plowing thru wave after wave of covenant. And it's a bit dark and gloomy.

I don't know. Maybe I've just played too much halo. I've played a lot lately to be fair.