passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Tearaway

DANGERMAN

This is great. It's a fairly simple adventure platformer type of game, there's no lives as far as I can tell, you just get put back to a very recent checkpoint if you fall, get crushed or die. It's basically just Media Molecule building a game around the features of the Vita, but unlike Uncharted embracing it fully rather than just shoving stuff in because.

So far this has meant my face appearing in the sun, my fingers ripping through the world when I use the backtouch to move objects or kill enemies, and tapping on the back to bang drums that fire Iota (the little guy you control) up in to the air. It uses the gyroscope to control a camera in game, so far this has been replacing the colour of objects that have had their colour stolen, it's not an amazing use but it more engaging than rubbing the dirt off trowels.

So far it's just been good idea after good idea, largely undemanding but there's enough hidden things to keep it interesting. I've had a few issues, the worst of which was the gyroscope having a fit because I was playing laid down and spinning the camera around, I had to restart the vita to recalibrate it. There's also been a couple of times where I've wandered off ledges and platforms because the movement is a bit weird, I can't tell if it's the character movement or the camera perspective

oh, and I took this

b44ca6d4f391bf0af0fe2008fac2e22d41a04714

It's pure magic. Fifteen people made this, and a whole lotta love. I'm at 23% according to the stats, although this takes all the collectibles into account as well I think. This was Chet&Jon's most played game this week, it's certainly worth a listen as they spew utter joy and sum the whole experience up far better than I can.

I took this.

BZrSfeFIIAARB7E_zps4460e392.jpg

I've done a video of one of the earlier levels

I think me and Ed are about the same point, him being a little further ahead, potentially much further if he's played it today. It's still good, the bit I did previously wasn't as involved as some of the other sections, the game still hasn't got anything like hard yet either

what a great game. It really is packed with ideas all the way through. It is too easy, but then I guess it's not really meant to be anything else, but it does mean that unless you're after collecting everything then there's not a lot of reason to go back. It's so inventive though, particularly the use of the camera. It might even replace Castlevania LOS as the best end to a game I've ever played

• 4 weeks later...

i finished this the other day, it's really lovely, as already mentioned some of the interactions with putting your pictures in the game are brilliant and hilarious, and your fingers in the game world is cool. the graphics are great, really nice style to them with all being paper models, and animated as it they're paper too. also cool having stuff you've drawn appearing in the game, even if what i've drawn is rubbish.

but the gameplay, i don't know, there's some really nice ideas and its fun, but there's something missing in this department for it be a really amazing game for me.

the gyroscope having a fit because I was playing laid down and spinning the camera around

yeah i usually play laid down and the camera bits would be a pain (it didn't go crazy enough to need resetting for me) but you don't have to be accurate with it so it's all good.

I finished this this morning. Ending was really good, very fitting to a great game. Tried to do it justice by watching the entire credits but they went on forever. I had a few problems with the controls, I could have done without some of the tilting stuff, in fact all of it, tilting is for those little games you get inside a Christmas cracker and some of the rolling controls were a bit pants but it didnt detract from the game overall.

An important side note: the music when you ride the pig (fnar) is super awesome, if I ever get to ride a pig (fnar) in real life and that music doesn't kick in I will instantly kill myself and the pig.

EDIT: Fucking score! I found it, listen to it then ride a pig (fnar). It loses a little bit without the actual riding of the pig (fnar) but you get the picture.

• 4 months later...

Just finished this. It is indeed easy, though se of the jumps can be a bit dodgy. But overall, it's such a fun, original game.

Though everytime I was asked to draw something, I pretty much did what I always do. The squirrel needs a crown? Big spunking cock. Snowflakes? Big spunking cock. A Tie? Big spunking cock. With tits thrown in for variety. Or an arse.

"Record a voice your scarecrow can yell to scare crows?" Best shout out "fuck off crow wankers" then.

I am 34 years old.

• 1 month later...