passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Last of Us

DANGERMAN

finished! i struggled with this, found it really hard work, its too tense, not my sort of thing etc. but stuck with it because of all the hype, and glad i did, started to enjoy it more around 60-70% in, so it took a while, but the story/ending is really good and was worth the struggle. and it looks amazing.

i have some problems with it though, one being the sneaking, i enjoyed the sneaking but often found it too difficult to implement, or even impossible. for example sneak to the end of a section and find you cant progress till you've taken everyone out, or the exit is so well hidden that it becomes too difficult to find it without being spotted as you wander from room to room. so in the end i gave up and was doing part stealth and part shooting which worked a lot better. also most of the "puzzle" sections were pretty crap and boring - still glad they were there so i wasn't shooting all the time.

I decided to watch the E3 2012 demo they showed and see how much of that game (or level) held up.

The level is still there as is (though it's missing a puzzle to get through the lobby of the hotel) though the biggest change is probably the UI.

I can't say I ever noticed Ellie helping out as obviously as she does in that in combat though.

The level is still there as is (though it's missing a puzzle to get through the lobby of the hotel) though the biggest change is probably the UI.

I can't say I ever noticed Ellie helping out as obviously as she does in that in combat though.

I noticed Ellie doesn't help much early on but she certainly gains more confidence as the game goes on, and I think that section of game is before she gets that confidence. Maybe they wanted to show off a more pro-active Ellie for the show.

Had a real problem coming out the University stage last night....the enemies weren't reacting to Ellie and that was just fine as I was sneaking up on them....but then she suddenly decided to randomly start firing at them (which they do react to) and went batshit crazy before I could do any stealth kills. Just wish the fucking game would make it's mind up at times.

Next up, the Winter section, and (without giving away too much) hunting a deer, which became frustration's own self for me. Couldn't even get near the damn thing for ages, let alone hit it with an arrow.

The sections a couple of chapters after that though where you control Ellie on her own for a bit have been (for me) by far the most enjoyable in the game so far. No annoying AI partner to fuck things up for you, and Ellie's melee combat/stealth kills are a little quicker and more effective than Joel's. I'm just up to the bit where you start controlling Joel again,, must be pretty close to the end of the game now.

Possible spoilers there...

Anyway yeah I had the same thing with Ellie attacked some dude while I was trying to sneak. It looks pretty stupid as she runs about in plane sight and the baddies don't respond, but I appreciate that it's like that for the gameplay and am glad it's like that, when it works anyway.

Use spoiler tags in future please, TromaDogg.

Sorry! Might be shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but I'll try and add them in now.

I finished The Last Of Us last night, and whilst the ending entertained me, it didn't completely sit right with me either.....

Basically Joel turns into fucking Rambo. After sneaking around for the whole game and constantly feeling in danger from normal enemies, it was a bit jarring to suddenly be given an AK47 and be taking out nearly a whole squad of heavily armed/highly trained Fireflies single handedly. And then the way he was able to escape the hospital cradling Ellie in his arms by just running past everyone who was left without them gunning him down was absurd. And that's even before you get into the whole business of how morally dubious and selfish his final descision was (although it can be argued that had Ellie been sacrificed, there was still no guarantee of a vaccine anyways, and even if there was, there was no way to mass produce it etc.)

So a good game overall? Yes. Did I enjoy the ride? Yes. But I'm still not accepting that it's a perfect '10'. Nearly a decade ago now I played a game that had a hard hitting storyline, the most tense stealth sequences I'd experienced.clever use of the environment to take out enemies and decent enemy AI. That game was Manhunt, and whilst it made an impact for certain reasons, reviewers weren't falling over themselves to heap praise on it. (even though it got decent reviews). To me, TLoU is only really a slight evolution of that style of game, but with much better visuals and a more mainstream storyline. But it does what it does well and I'm still glad I picked it up.

I've started my Survivor playthrough and it hasn't been too bad. I have had a few troublesome bits but only slightly more than I did on my first playthrough.

You take around the same amount of damage and you do a similar amount of damage to the enemies, too. The difficulty comes from the absolute lack of ammo and materials; they are pretty stingey as it is but it gets pretty silly at times. That bit when...

you get separated from Ellie when you fall down the elevator shaft and the basement is full of Infected, Clickers and a Big Thing? I did it with a shotgun shell... a single shotgun shell... and lots of panic-y running.

I don't know how I've survived so long

(I've just got to Henry and Sam).

All I know is I've had to get pretty fucking good with a brick.

what stuff can you do with a brick then? can you damage bad dudes with them? i barely ever used them, occasionally trying to distract someone and failing.

what stuff can you do with a brick then? can you damage bad dudes with them? i barely ever used them, occasionally trying to distract someone and failing.

Bricks are versatile as hell. Bricks are cool.

You can use them to distract people but I wouldn't advise it. They're pretty good for distracting clickers since on Survivor you don't have the bullets to take them all out so shepherding them around with bottles and bricks is fairly essential.

But when it comes to normal guys you can do damage with a brick and bottle. Throwing them at a guy will stun them for a bit and you have two options while he staggers: you can sprint up and take him hostage (useful as his mates won't shoot you right away and you can line up a head shot, saving ammo) or you can melee attack him while sprinting to knock him straight to the ground, which then you can finish off with a boot to the head which takes a lot less time than a normal melee which is like 7 or 8 noisy punces (also, if you do this with a plank or pipe you can take his head off with one hit with a sprinting melee while he stagggers, rather then the normal 3 or 4).

Bricks and bottles are also an upgrade for your melee attack. If you're holding the brick while you press square to attack you use the brick to cave someone's skull in in like 2 or 3 hits (with the bottle it smashes on the first hit but knocks them down for a boot to the head)... again, much more effective than the 7 or 8 normal attacks which takes too much time and leaves you way too open.

So I say again, bricks are cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had a scan through the thread but haven't looked too deeply for fear of spoilers. So apologies if I am just repeating stuff.

I have been pretty pumped for this and started it earlier in the week. I have played it for about four hours and so far I just don't get it. I don't get all the praise and hype around the game. First of all it looks absolutely amazing. Really incredible. Not only is everything very technically impressive but the design of each character and enemy fits the world perfectly. Joel is about as generic as they come but he looks like a survivor, his design is simple but he looks like he belongs there. Same with the other characters.

Gameplay is solid. The stealth stuff is good, although hiding supplies in these sections makes them longer than I would like. I had a similar problem with Dishonoured where often the difficulty didn't come from avoiding the enemies. Rather avoiding the enemies while searching every nook and cranny so you could upgrade your equipment at the end of the level. It isn't quite on the scale of Dishonoured but I would have rather they kept that sort of thing for the exploration sections only. Exploration is my favourite part, much like in Uncharted, I sigh whenever I have to fight. I just want to be a tourist in this beautiful world they have created.

On to the bad stuff. The story, or rather the characterisation. I have just met up with the chub chub in the gas mask and so far I am wondering what all the fuss is about. Joel is the typical washed up type which I can understand, but I feel like this is the character he instantly became 20 years ago and in that time not much else has changed. I like him, but I want more of him. So that isn't really the major gripe I have, the major gripe I have would be with Juno.

Juno is. Fucking awful. Her characterisation is lazy, plagiarized and almost offensively adorable. I don't want to spoil anything and since I haven't been able to get spoiler tags to work properly since I got my Chromebook I will give a warning here to stop reading and then be kinda vague. Up to the capital building Juno was just kind of there, she had a bit of an attitude but she didn't really do much. She was just dragged around by Tess and Joel and that was that. I actually liked her at this point, I liked that she was kind of quiet but then had a couple of annoyed, teenager outbursts if she got sick of something for long enough.

After the capital building, almost instantly. She has started being all care free and jokey. We come across a building with banging inside. "I don't want to go in" she says, too scary. No doubt man, I am nervous as well. But we go in. Ten seconds later I hear some sort of strange lip farting noise and she is apparently trying to whistle. While there is a mysterious banging sound and creatures that can rip our faces off. Then she is singing, humming, asking stupid questions. We are stopping to look at video games and talking about her childhood. Why? Where did this come from?

It is a little bit insulting. The game is telling me to like her, but it isn't making any effort to make me actually feel anything. Look how adorable and Juno-esque she is guys! Look how she did this as a child and look how light hearted she is in the face of danger! The cutscene where chub chub came into it, if I had closed my eyes I wouldn't have known the difference. The way she spoke, the way she moved. It is like they have skipped building her character because we all know about that one time she got pregnant and how charming she was. And I'm not just talking about her face and honestly, it isn't even about the fact that I feel like they stole a character from a movie I didn't like. Her characterisation is just bad. She is a bad character. She doesn't feel like she grew up in the apocalypse. The game is trying to pull at my heart strings and so far I feel like they expect this to work because she looks adorable. Every cutscene starts or ends with a close up of her face looking startled while Joel stands behind her.

But I am glad so many other people like it. The intro was incredible, real edge of the seat stuff.

• 3 months later...

I quite liked Ellie's character, although she reminds me of the lad from The Road. He was born and grew up after the end of the world, like Ellie, but he was also the audiences 'in' to the story, so he and Ellie both end up coming across as more naive than they should be considering they've never known anything other than this hyper dangerous world

I can't decide if taking a break from the game for so long was a good thing or not. For one thing I can't really remember how much I was enjoying it back in the summer, but on the other hand I could still remember the story, it didn't take long to get back in to the mechanics, and I stopped at an ideal place in terms of gameplay and plot (the dam). With that then I'm not entirely sure how good the game is, certainly in the back half there were only a couple of moments of frustration, and one of them was because Joel is incapable of jumping

There was some great bits in the back half too

The bit where you play as Ellie, the siege bit when you're in the factory and the infected are spilling in from the roof aside, everything prior to that was cool. After that it's back to being tense, just about as tense as I remember the game being, except for whatever reason I felt more able to handle it. I felt like I was taking the piss out of the guys who chased me in to the snowy village area. I also think the end of that chapter is a good coming of age moment for Ellie, a brutal one, but by that point she's looked after Joel and saved herself. From then on Joel is more attached to her

Even thought it doesn't end on a cliffhanger or anything, I still feel like the story had more left, like it's only part way through their adventure. I'm not actually sure I'm itching to play another of these though, I'm sure I will, and hopefully the new generation will give them the power to sort out the framerate to make shooting better, and they smooth out the stealth