passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Critical Acclaim +: Open Mic

Sly Reflex

I love Gitaroo Man more than the next person. The shark level is the reggae track and the timing is way of beat so takes some getting used to. I tried it on the hardest difficulty and couldn't make it past the shark...

@Bob

I'm with DC in that I absolutely loved running around doing stuff in the game so I didn't mind taking long trips or doing fetch quests.

Oh you're talking about the special cut-scenes between party members. I didn't mean that, I meant talking to npcs and trying to build up a 5 star affinity chart for each location, that's my favourite part of the game.

I like Xenoblade but it's also the epitome of where jrpgs have gone wrong over the last few years. Good battle system, good idea for a story, outstanding game world, but so drawn out. It's not just the time it takes to finish it, it needs to be truncated, the same points to hit just take a third of the time to do it

I hope X ends up being a tighter game

It's a smart and original game that you get more astute at playing the more you play. I've come back to it several times and I'm always noticing something new - that being said you can only use what you're given and success will be heavily influenced by loot from fights and especially by what stores are selling. Of course, FTL is a roguelike and factors outside your control have always been a pretty huge part of the genre - in this respect I think the game has an excellent balance between what you can control and what you can't, and how much all these factors influence the game.

Other than that it's addictive as hell and looks and sounds great (although I tend to listen to my itunes while playing now).

I've only really one criticism to level at FTL. Normal mode should be hard. Easy mode should be normal. A new mode that acts like a tutorial and lets you do so many sectors where your cooldowns are vastly superior to the stuff you're fighting.

Apart from that I cannot really say anything bad about it. Yeah, it's sort of random but as many times as the game shafts you it rewards you, it just seems that you always get the shitty end of the stick more often than not. I find it kind of compulsive when I start playing it. That sort of real time micro management really appeals to me. I believe if it got any more complicated than it is when things started stacking up against you, you'd never be able to keep up with it once you had a few obstacles get in your way.

The randomness of it makes for some interesting stories too. I had one run where I was really up against it. I was constantly repairing and putting fires out, eventually it got too much and in a last gasp I opened all the doors to try and stop the fires from fucking me up. The only problem was that two of my guys were still in the armoury and engine room, fire blazing around them as I try to repel my attacker. With my last laser attack I cause a fire in the enemy ships piloting area. I pull my 2 guys out and send them to the front of the ship, running them through the fires and a quickly decreasing oxygen supply. Meanwhile on the other ship the pilot is forced to retreat to the medical bay, fire steadily pushing its way through the ship forcing all crew members to concentrate on it. On my ship the fires were dead, but so was my oxygen supply, I send my two strongest men in to repair it all the time I'm trying to send my guys back to their proper station watching the HP of them tick down. By the time the oxygen whirs back into life all of my crew are under 20 hp. In the enemy ship the fires are still raging, I watch as the last of their crew struggle to hold back the flames. I was going to open fire and finish them off, but decide to savour in watching them burn to death.

Not many games can unfold stories like that in front of you randomly. FTL does it regularly though.

Yeah, FTL is a fine game. I like it, at least.

I don't think I love it but that's because it's a kind of game I don't get that attached to.

I've noticed lately that a lot of indie games have this Rogue-like element to them. A few years ago they were all some kind of platformer but lately it's all about the Rogue-like, but I was in my element when they were all platformers as it's a type of game I like a lot but these new games are fine. Perma-death is an interesting idea and they all seem to explore genre pretty well. They're not all some guy in a monster filled maze.

So FTL is a cool take on the formula and it is good enough to keep someone, like me, who isn't that into the formula that much interested in the game..

I think of the acclaimed indie games released in late 2012 (To The Moon, Hotline Miami, FTL, Retro City Rampage, Torchlight 2, Thomas Was Alone...that I can think of) - FTL is certainly the best. I think the best indie games came out earlier in the year - Fez, Legend of Grimrock, Dear Esther - but FTL is definitely next to those.

I was reading Gamesradar's recent list of the best indie games and it made me think how I'm really not that fond of most of the "indie darling" games. I mean Limbo's alright but I could take it or leave it. Braid I've uninstalled from my computer because it looks like an artsy platformer but really it's a puzzle game and I can't stand those. Super Meat Boy is really good, and whenever I do play it I can appreciate the genius of it, problem is I just hardly ever play it. I've started Bastion and it seems ok, but I can't see it turning into a game I would love. Minecraft again, I can appreciate the genius of it but I've just no interest in the creative side of it. The mining is hypnotic though.

Even Cave Story, which I played this year, it's a great game in a lot of ways but would I play it again? I don't think so.

Indie games that I would call "favourites" are few and far between - Audiosurf, Fez, Kentucky Route Zero, Machinarium, Scratches, Super Hexagon. I'm sure I'll add Amnesia to that list I just need to play it.

I have a feeling that this year has seen an improvement though.

Well done Ben. I knew you'd do me proud here, even though you didn't explain anything other than it being the best game of the year so far. Everyone else that's played, boo to you, you fucking scoundrels.

I'm actually in fear of starting this game up. I only have so much time and I don't want this to eat it all.

Well done Ben. I knew you'd do me proud here, even though you didn't explain anything other than it being the best game of the year so far. Everyone else that's played, boo to you, you fucking scoundrels.

I'm actually in fear of starting this game up. I only have so much time and I don't want this to eat it all.

It's actually paced pretty well, it's very simple early on (a little too simple so you assume you're missing something) but it starts to get a bit more involved, and it's the right amount of complexity from there. The levels aren't too long, and if you do have to put it down for months or whatever, there's always skirmishes to quickly jog your memory if you need it

I remember having some really fun games with the guys from GTM on the broken, laggy as fuck 360 version. Never played the proper version though so outside of that and that the visual style is lovely I don't have much to add.

When I put together this list I was expecting to have played a bit of TF2 on its native platform. It's not happened yet sadly.

I did play the hell out of it when it came in The Orange Box, it was my most played game out of those games included. I really really liked what I played. I like the visual style and the general presentation. I liked the thick end of the classes too, something that I don't usually do because I feel ambiguity to everything apart from my favourites. The way the classes are balanced means that you have a versatile set of tools at your disposal without any of them being massively OP. It's also the only game that the sniper is actually tailored to fit. He's still a proper bane if you get on the wrong side of someone who is playing as him, but you know that by playing in that style they are really opening themselves up to players that prey specifically on them.

I dabbled in the PC version ages ago when Gamerdork was a thing and I can't say i was best pleased with the way they had loot drops in the game. I'm sure there's some fine balancing going on there, but it irritated me a lot that certain guns could trap you into getting killed and other bad stuff like that. Seems unwarranted when the base game was so good.

I'd like to get back into it, especially the Mann vs Machine stuff. I'm not so bothered on the PvP stuff in it anymore as I know I'd get crucified by the people that have been playing for ages and have all the best loot drops. I doubt it'll happen though, you really need to play it with a mouse and keyboard and the person I've been playing with on PC does nothing but whine like a bitch whenever he's got to use this method of input. :P

Controllers for shooters really are the poor substitute

Mario Galaxy is probably the best game of the generation, it's certainly up there. It's rare that a game feels special and I can't think of a game that felt more special. Absolutely packed with ideas, presented wonderfully, controls perfect, ideal difficulty