passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Next Generation

Hendo

It's that time of year when everyone looks to the future so with that in mind, bar the obvious like better graphics, what would you like to see in the next generation?

I think one un-tapped potential is the messaging system. I thought this when the Wii came out that consoles message systems could be used for optional subscribable content like an email newsletter where you could get weekly newsletters of what's out that week, or patch notes messaged to you of games you have an interest in, when they get updated.

After using and abusing Netflix, I'd like a fixed fee a month and you can play anything you like by streaming the games, as long as the tech is there. Supposedly, Gaikai have better tech than OnLive and Sony have since bought it for most likely use in the PS4 or TV sets so hopefully that will happen.

UHDTV's with 22.2 surround sound are around the corner (Westinghouse Digital will release their first UHDTV set 1Q 2013) so I like to see next-gen game running native 2160p (4K) and 4320p (8k).

Better narrative and structure with in single-player game. I also love to see more single-player epics next-gen too.

Google TV built into the PlayStation 4. This feature would make PS4 a day one buy for me.

Anything that uses someone other than the platform holders servers should. EA use their own so they should just tell Microsoft and Sony to fuck off if they say they can't do it, especially with time trial stuff and score attack stuff

Beyond that I don't know really, I'd like them to be faster in the OS, and be able to access its features without having to shut down the game. Although I think the console that would be most useful for is the 3ds and it's too late for that

I think the streaming idea Hendo mentioned would be good, seems to make most sense with ps+ even if it's just a way to emulate ps3 and ps2 games

On the actual console itself.

No bright lights.

Fan noise should be at a minimum.

Optical out should be on the console. No cables should be needed to give an optical out.

Wireless in as standard.

Minimal moving mechanical parts.

No proprietary HDD. You can buy any compatible HDD, put it in the system and it'll format.

Ability to read all media file formats, with an option to update should newer standards emerge.

Wireless charging mat for charging peripherals.

Ability to control system with smartphone.

Controllers.

No obtrusive lights.

Programmable grips or shoulder buttons as standard.

Adjustable tensions on analogue sticks.

Adjustable lengths on analogue sticks.

Ability to recharge rechargeable batteries by plugging in or standing on charging mat.

Operating system and configuration.

Web browser.

Camera and video recorder.

Facebook, Google, Twitter photo sharing and Youtube integration.

Community walls within friend lists.

Friend wall for open messages and comments.

Message chaining similar to how text messaging works now.

Theatre mode so you can watch others play.live.

Less intrusive notifications.

Standard controller loadouts for the most popular genres.

Clean user interface with no adverts.

Cross platform play between consoles.

Ability to play games purchased on previous iteration of console.

A better feedback system for undesirable players.

Clan support.

Notifications from games you have followed. News on updates and new DLC.

Cloud saves as standard.

Game framework.

Games must run at 60fps minimum.

Games must have full ability to customise controllers.

Games must have a colourblind mode.

Games must have standardised theatre modes.

Games must have a standardised lobby system.

Games with cut scenes must skippable and have rewind functions.

Games must have subtitles.

Games must have tracking for unlockable rewards.

Games of a violent or mature nature should have an option to turn off mature content.

UHDTV's with 22.2 surround sound are around the corner (Westinghouse Digital will release their first UHDTV set 1Q 2013) so I like to see next-gen game running native 2160p (4K) and 4320p (8k).

Couple of points with this.... 1. Most games can't even handle 1080p and keep a solid frame rate this Gen, i don't want a repeat of that on the newer machines... 1080p looks lovely when done right and the newer machines should be able to handle that with ease at a solid framerate. 2. Can't see those 4k/8k tv's being particularly affordable to most people for a few years yet.... so why bother?.

You could say the same thing about the current-gen in it first couple of years. Everyone still had CRT TV's and then upgraded to HDTV. They can do it again and most likely will do it again. The rumor is Sony will have 4K out of the box with PS4, which seems likely so they can push their 4K UHDTV's that will hit the market in 2013.

Sly Reflex, you are a fucking genius. I agree with everything you stated above, and have given you a plus point for it. It's a well thought out post, with almost all the bases covered. I'll just add one or two other things to it if I may.

Operating System & Configuration

With the main consoles having the ability to store card details for online purchases, a more secure way must be found to protect the customer. This year I heard of many people having their Xbox Live accounts hacked, usually with the FIFA exploit. Maybe something as simple as a PIN for purchasing, or static console purchases.

Game Framework

Cut scenes must be able to pause. The amount of times I've started watching a cut scene within the game, and I've been called away, or otherwise distracted is huge. This, along with the skip and rewind function Sly mentioned would make cut scenes a joy.

Games must have a volume levelling function. I can only hear on my left side, and I play most games wearing headphones. I would like to hear what the hero whispers to the romantic interest, just before the earth shattering explosion. And yes, I've said that about movies too.

Games must have a volume levelling function. I can only hear on my left side, and I play most games wearing headphones. I would like to hear what the hero whispers to the romantic interest, just before the earth shattering explosion. And yes, I've said that about movies too.

Another thing I forgot to add.

Games must have a standard when it comes to sound levels. I hate that when I put certain games on I have to turn the tv/surround sound right up or down to compensate for the sound levels in a game. Gears 3 is loud as fuck, seriously too loud. When the Brumak comes out to play the sound shakes the house. On the other hand I need to turn up games like Iron Brigade and Rock Band Blitz. It's silly.

I'd like a happy medium with mmo games, so that they are meaningfully MMO. Something like a Pokemon mmo, where you can't just go and catch a million mons, and the ones you've got are actually personal to you. But also so you can play it for a few hours a week or days on end but still get something good out of it, smartphone interaction will be important in doing that, so you can keep a check on stuff that's happening easily without needing to spend an hour each time you play having to do that.

Couple of points with this.... 1. Most games can't even handle 1080p and keep a solid frame rate this Gen, i don't want a repeat of that on the newer machines... 1080p looks lovely when done right and the newer machines should be able to handle that with ease at a solid framerate. 2. Can't see those 4k/8k tv's being particularly affordable to most people for a few years yet.... so why bother?.

You could say the same thing about the current-gen in it first couple of years. Everyone still had CRT TV's and then upgraded to HDTV. They can do it again and most likely will do it again. The rumor is Sony will have 4K out of the box with PS4, which seems likely so they can push their 4K UHDTV's that will hit the market in 2013.

I think the rumour is that it can output 4k images, I'll be amazed if it can do games at that, even at the end of its life. It's very rare you hear of anyone playing a pc game at 4k, and I can't see the huge uptake of new tvs happening for a long long time. People, over here at least (because I think electronics are cheaper in the US), tend to buy a tv then that's their tv until it breaks, it's why I think 3d is going to struggle, but eventually everyone will have access to it. This gen hd games came together with tv and films to push hd, I'm not sure the next level will have that critical mass for a while

TV's in the USA cost more from what I've seen. They look like a good deal until you add the tax on.

America is a lot more expensive than people think. You have to pay for literally everything. Stuff that we take for granted here or consume because it's cheap isn't available like it is over there.

I think a lot of yours are very optimistic, Sly!

The chances of no ads on the next Xbox I would say is zero. They've pushed harder with more and more ads and the community have bitched about it but no-one has spoken with their wallet, which is what counts.

I'll probably be going PC primarily for the next gen. I depends how the games and the consoles turn out.

I'm already spending less time and money on the consoles now as I don't like the way the base experience feels. If it wasn't for friends wanting to play together on xbox I probably would have only spent a few hours on it. It's the social aspect of it that reels me in more than anything.

I'm guessing it'll be a micro PC of fixed spec. If they do that they can code the games available on their library to say this game runs on steambox 1.0 etc. Every 6 to 12 months they could look at the cost of manufacturing a steambox and put better equipment in it, a bit like the console manufactures offset reduced costs by banging bigger HDD's in.

Microsoft has bought a home automation company called R2, which they merged into the Xbox division. The start-up R2 was working on an app that let's you control AV equipment, lights in your home, your home security system, the thermostat and other electronic goodies from Smartglass.

While reading this I reflected back on this generation and what next-gen holds for us ...... I think next-gen will put the final nail in the traditional gaming consoles casket. We've been on a path of merging console into all in one set-a-top boxes since PSone and it ability to play music CDs. The last traditional gaming console - video games only, no multimedia - was the Gamecube, but even Nintendo is going the all in one set-a-top box route now.

This generation also saw games not as products people buy and hoard on a dusty bookshelf, but as services, thanks to the ever growing and more sophisticated networks that Valve, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Google and Microsoft have built. Those networks will only get more advanced that games as a service not as a product people buy and own will be the standard not the exception. Sony today patented an anti-piracy RFID tech, other wise known as electronic content processing system for the PlayStation 4. Tech like this and cloud base streaming would further cement gaming as a service and not a product people buy and own.

I kind of pine for the days when you plopped in 25 cents to an arcade cabinet or blew on a dusty cart to get your gaming fix.

http://www.gameinfor...t-start-up.aspx

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/01/03/sony-patents-anti-piracy-rfid-tech-for-ps4.aspx

@ Hendo

Gabe said the Valve set-a-top box will be closed like a traditional console with fixed specs, so that all so gamers don't have to worry if a game will work or not.

This is what MS should be aiming for with their next controllers.

I don't know why MS don't buy Razer and get them to do all the ergonomic stuff for their gaming outlets. Maybe with the financial backing the Razer pads wont be so fucking fragile. The Onza was the best pad I've used in ages, but the fucker broke not long after I'd got it.