Game of the Year 2012

HandsomeDead

Game of the Year

• Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  • Far Cry 3
  • The Walking Dead
  • Dishonored
  • Forza Horizon

Best Handheld/Mobile Game (smartphones, DS, PSP, 3DS, PS Vita - download and retail games)

• Gravity Rush
  • Rayman Origins
  • Need For Speed: Most Wanted
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • WipEout 2048

Best retail/disc Game (PC, 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U - games you buy that come on discs)

• Far Cry 3
  • Dishonored
  • Forza Horizon
  • Sleeping Dogs

Best Download-only Game (for PC, PSN, WiiShop, XBL)

• The Walking Dead
  • Journey
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Gotham City Imposters
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail

Best Multiplayer/Online Experience

• Journey
  • Gotham City Imposters
  • Halo 4
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Most Wanted Game Of 2013

• Dead Space 3
  • BioShock Infinite
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Tomb Raider
  • Pokemon X/Y

Disappointments

• New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • DiRT Showdown
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Overlooked gems

• PlayStation Vita
  • Max Payne 3
  • Binary Domain
  • Gotham City Imposters
  • Asura's Wrath

When this thread went up I was excited. Picking through what games I enjoyed most is the typical thing to do at this time of year.

However, when I was collating the information it struck me that using the bracket of time between 1st January to 31 December doesn't really work. As it stands I have a ridiculous amount of retail games to play. In my downloads I have games like Fez, Spelunky, Stacking, Alan Wake's American Nightmare among others. How can I have a grasp of what is the best of 2012 when I'm missing stuff like that. Not to mention I've played some fairly old games this year, ones that would have taken GOTY or be praised by me whenever they came out.

I think we need a better way to do this. I'm not sure how, but there must be a better way to do this. It's a system that works fine for music, film and tv, but for games it doesn't.

The difference with music and films and that is there's much less time involved (generally) so can listen to a lot of albums or watch a lot of films easily but games are more expensive but also can take 10's of hours to appreciate.

I think one difference for next year is to dissolve the download category, have top 10 overall, maybe even drop handheld/mobile distinctions. You could have top 10 games of 2012 and then top ten games you played in 2012 but might have come out earlier.

The nature of the beast is that everything drops at the latter end, making it hard to squash everything in. Films tend to release all the big stuff in the summer. Music doesn't take up as much time as you can consume it while doing other things. The time and money factor goes against games.

Someone should look up the average dry zones for games and run the game year between those. That way all the big hitters are confined to the front of the gaming year. Gives people at least a chance to complete the most important stuff. Whatever we do, it'd be better than this. Saying that, most of us still wouldn't have time and shit would still get pushed out. Maybe have a "One that got away" category.

I'm not sure we'll be ready to get rid of the segregation between download and retail games by the end of next year. And I say that as someone who voted Flower as his goty a few years back, and I think we're one of the better forums for it. But when you look at what's out in the first few months of next year, then think about GTAV later in the year, something like Anomaly Korea doesn't stand a chance

So we're in agreement that the way things are now isn't a great way of doing it?

I'm in agreement with Ben with the download and retail thing. Something like GTA has a hell of a lot more market penetration than say, Godus or Defense Grid 2. Even with people like us, AAA titles can demand more sway than something that could push way more boundaries than any of those AAA titles do. I mean, what has Blops2, Halo 4, Borderlands 2 really pushed. They might be bigger and better, but they're not really offering much over the previous games they took over from. It's all well and good doing something great, but I think doing something different is just as desirable.

I'd probably rate Deadly Premonition as my title of the year, but it's exempt as it didn't come out this year. Hmm.

I don't have a problem with there being a section for old games, but I think we should keep the main thing for games that came out this year. If it was just stuff you'd played that year then the top 4 would be Streets of Rage 2, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Metal Slug and NiGHTS every year

I do agree that it being done at some point in the following year would probably give a better reflection of what was the game of the year, but then if you look at 2013, if you're buying new games then you've got until the 11th of Jan before games start coming out again

Game of the Year

1. Fez
  2. Far Cry 3
  3. Mark of the Ninja
  4. Dragon's Dogma
  5. Sniper Elite

Best Handheld/Mobile Game (smartphones, DS, PSP, 3DS, PS Vita - download and retail games)

1. VVVVVV

Best retail/disc Game (PC, 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U - games you buy that come on discs)

1. Far Cry 3
  2. Dragon;s Dogma
  3. Sniper Elite
  4. Sleeping Dogs
  5. Syndicate

Best Download-only Game (for PC, PSN, WiiShop, XBL)

1. Fez
  2. Mark of the Ninja
  3. Spelunky
  4. Hotline Miami
  5. FTL

Best Multiplayer/Online Experience

1. Call of Duty Black Ops 2
  2. Halo 4
  3. Syndicate
  4. NFS Most Wanted
  5. Minecraft

Most Wanted Game Of 2013