3. Call of Duty

4. The Sims

5. Grand Theft Auto

6. Sonic

7. Star Wars

8. Need for Speed

9. Lego

10. Pokemon

And the winner is: FIFA, GfK Chart-Track shared with Eurogamer today (copyright UKIE).

FIFA wins both in terms of copies sold and money made. There are 35 FIFA games (not all major releases - every SKU counts), the first being FIFA International Soccer on Mega Drive in 1993. But it's the most recent game, FIFA 12, that's the brand's best seller.

Mario is second by copies, third by revenue. There are 76 Mario games and they date all the way back to 1987, and Super Mario Bros. A large swathe of those Mario games were released outside of this report's focus. The best selling Mario game is Mario Kart Wii - and it's also the best selling single-format game in the UK.

Call of Duty is third by copies, second by revenue. COD only dates back to 2003, and there have been eight major instalments. But the game count numbers 17 due to Game of the Year editions et al. The best selling Call of Duty game is Black Ops.

The Sims is fourth by copies, fifth by revenue. The brand arrived in 2000 on PC, and there have been a whopping 73 games released since then. Plenty of expansions, then. The best selling Sims game is The Sims 2. It's also the only boxed PC game to sell over 1 million copies in the UK.

Grand Theft Auto is fifth by copies, fourth by revenue, and first appeared on PC and PS1 in 1997. There have been 18 releases since then, the best selling being San Andreas from 2004 - also the third best selling game in the UK ever.

Sonic is sixth by copies, eighth by revenue, and dates back to 1991. The game-count numbers 57. The best selling actual Sonic game is Sonic Heroes from 2004. But the best selling game featuring Sonic, however, is Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games - released in 2007 for Wii and DS.

Star Wars is seventh by copies, sixth by revenue. An enormous 96 Star Wars games have been released in various guises since 1983. Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2005) is the third best seller of these, behind Lego Star Wars 2: Original Trilogy (2006) and Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga (2007).

Need for Speed is eighth by copies, seventh by revenue. The series began on 3D0 in 1994, and numbers 19 releases today. The best selling Need for Speed game is Carbon from 2006. Let's hope Criterion's upcoming Need for Speed: Most Wanted can topple that.

Lego is ninth by copies, 12th by revenue. Lego games existed a lot longer ago than many realise; they began with Lego Island on PC in 1997, then there was Lego Chess, Lego Creator and Lego Loco. The first Lego Harry Potter game was actually Lego Creator: Harry Potter from 2001. But it wasn't until Traveller's Tales released Lego Star Wars in 2005 that a new powerhouse brand was born. Lego Batman is currently the best selling Lego game, then it's Lego: Indiana Jones and the Lego Star Wars games. And all of those have surpassed 1 million sales and raked in £25 to 30 million.

Pokemon is 10th by copies, 11th by revenue. The first Pokemon Red and Blue games of September 1999 remain the brand's number two and three best sellers. Another 62 Pokemon games now exist. Pokemon Yellow (2000) is the best selling Pokemon game, bringing in over £20 million.

If the top 10 was calculated by how much money a brand had made, Lego and Pokemon would fall off to be replaced by WWE/WWF/Wrestlemania (46 games) and Pro Evolution Soccer (12 games).

Since 1996, a collective £18.6 billion has been spent on video games in the UK, and 796 million games have been sold.

I think the only one I'm surprised about is Star Wars. There are plenty of Star wars games but most seem to disappear without a trace. But I suppose The Lego Star Wars games are bigger sellers than I assume and I wasn't online yet when Battlefront was out so I missed the bandwagon; I didn't realise it was such a big bandwagon.

I enjoy quite a few. I still like the original Sonic and Mario games are still some of my favourite. I have enjoyed Call of Duty 2 and 4. GTA4 is a thing I like and Pokemon is great as long as I'm in the mood for it.

And I suppose Star Wars is one I really enjoy. Knights of the Old Republic is one of my favourite games ever and Rogue Squadron on the GameCube was a blast, but they're exceptions to the quality of most Star wars games to be honest.

Need for Speed is the only one that baffles me. I just don't think it has ever had good driving physics. The MSR/PGR games which occupy a similar space between simulation and arcade racing was always infinitely more fun.

From that list I think Fifa has been exceptional the last 4 years (although they might need to start freshening it up), Mario has been pretty good recently (with the new 3DS one being my most looked forward to game at the minute), there's been more good Sonic games over the last few years than people think (although a lot of them, like the karting and olympics have generally passed me by), and I've enjoyed the 2 mainline Pokemon games I've played.

I don't think I've ever played a Need for Speed game, nor The Sims, I've never really been a big fan of GTA and Star Wars isn't a brand I associate with quality generally. Lego and COD I've nothing against, I've played the odd bit here and there, but neither are something I'd drop money on

Must admit the fifa thing is me, i have a box set from the first game on 5 3.5" discs for the pc, then i remember when we first got it on a disc, the setup in graphics was awesome! this year is the first year i haven't brought a fifa game fifa 12 just passed me by. Maybe i will get 13 on the vita this year.

I don't think there has been enough iterations of Halo for it to make the list. Battlefield has just really had modest success in the larger scale of things until BF3. Since this is UK only then FF wouldn't hit it either as I think only VII and X have been big sellers here. If it was worldwide it probably would be in the list.

I'm kinda surprised Resident Evil isn't in there.

Most of those games in the list have 10 years on Halo and Battlefield. I'm not sure Final Fantasy actually sells that much here in the UK. I know it has its fans but comparing the copies sold here to the amount sold in Japan it must be minimal.

Did they mention any notable titles just outside the top ten?

just seems a little odd, especially so for battlefield,

If the top 10 was calculated by how much money a brand had made, Lego and Pokemon would fall off to be replaced by WWE/WWF/Wrestlemania (46 games) and Pro Evolution Soccer (12 games).

Since 1996, a collective £18.6 billion has been spent on video games in the UK, and 796 million games have been sold.

I'd love to know where they got their numbers from and how they worked it all out

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that Sonic outsold Pokemon simply astounds me. Even with the data taken from 1991. The fact that Sonic Hero's sold the best is only a minor surprise as it was the first ever of the series to go multi platform . Still though I thought the earlier games would have done better...