passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dredd

shaolin_monkey

Some Dredd facts for you:

Dredd is being compared with the low budget movie The Raid that is similar to Dredd plot wise. However Dredd was in production months before The Raid was.

John Wagner, Co-Creator of Judge Dredd has given the movie the thumbs up saying its an excellent portrayal of Dredd, the only version of the movie Dredd he likes.

It cost around 45 million to make, and has over 800 effects shots.

It is not a reboot, remake or sequal to the 90's Stallone movie. It's a totally standalone production.

Independenly made, not a hollywood movie. British funded, with a British crew, British writer and a British director of a British comic book character. It is a British movie, although filmed in South Africa with help from the guys who made District 9.

Judge Dredd was inspired by Clint Eastwood and Dirty Harry, hence Urban's Dirty Harry like growling voice.

Karl Urban is a fan of Judge Dredd character and the 2000AD comic.

It's out in the UK on the 7th of September, a whole two weeks before anyone else! 21 Sept in the USA

Stallone isn't the law. Urban is the law.

:toss:

Sly, do you mean my enthusiasm for Dredd is rubbing off on you, or my persuasive charms are running out?

I didn't think he sounded anything like Batman. More like Clint in A Fistful of Dollars.

Some of the lines do seem corny, but I have heard in the context of the script, they fit perfectly.

There were test screenings last week, and apparently it was a huge success. When Dredd announced 'I am the Law' the cinema goers seemingly broke into appreciative whoops and cheers.

For me that trailer is a frikkin wet dream. I'm just incredibly frustrated I have to wait three months for the main event.

See, I don't know much about Judge Dredd, but doesn't Urban look far to small for the role. As much as people critisise Stallone, he did at least look the part.

Urban's jaw is tiny, which taking into account that's the only part of the face you see, it would seem crucial to get it looking right. It just looks like his helmets too big for him.

• 2 weeks later...

See, I don't know much about Judge Dredd, but doesn't Urban look far to small for the role. As much as people critisise Stallone, he did at least look the part.

Urban's jaw is tiny, which taking into account that's the only part of the face you see, it would seem crucial to get it looking right. It just looks like his helmets too big for him.

Yeah, the whole feel is very early Dredd. If you have a look at Case Files Vol 1, you'll see a remarkable similarity between the way Urban looks and the way Dredd used to look. This film is based mid-way through Dredds career, and the start of Andersons, which puts it at around prog 170 - when you look at it like that, you see the casting may have actually been quite inspired.

Anyway, Alex Garland, Karl Urban et al got together for a convention shindig yesterday. Here's a brief article about:

http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/film/dredd-the-lfcc-panel-alex-garland-reveals-sequel-ideas-for-the-18-certifica/

EDIT: and I have to disagree re Stallone - he did not look the part. Sure, he was big, but he was also an arrogant strutting cock, something Dredd has never come across as in the mag. Stallones interpretation of Dredd seemed to be that he had a massive fucking ego. The Dredd we know and love from the comics is far too married to the Law, and carrying it out to the nth degree, to have anything similar to that kind of ego. Some say he's more machine than man, having to repress his humanity to be faithful to the Law.

So yeah, Stallone did NOT look the part. Far fucking from it.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're passing by Smiths, pop in and have a gander at Empire's 9 page special on Dredd. Lots of luvverly new pics and stuff. So far it has got 100% on the critic reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Be warned though, everyone is saying it is a grotesquely violent film. To be honest, I'd be worried if it wasn't. If my parents had seen what was in the comic they probably wouldn't have let me read it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I first saw the trailer I thought it might be based on the ole Block Mania storyline, which of course leads to The Apocalypse War. Then again thats very Cold War based so I don't know how that would translate to modern film. Personally I wanted Judge Death over 'Mama' as Boyhood of A Superfiend was not only my first introduction to Dredd but one of my favourite comic storylines ever. Still very stoked to see this when its out on the 7th.

Haven't been on for ages - no Internet connection.

Anyway, I saw Dredd a week ago Thursday at a special preview screening in Soho Hotel. I met Karl Urban, and went for a pint afterwards with Alex Garland. I also met my heroes of the last 30 years, the creators of Judge Dredd, John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra. When my Internet is sorted I'll post photos. It was a Dredd fanboys wet dream.

Also saw the film again this afternoon, and am off to see it again in an hour. It's fucking brilliant.

• 2 months later...

Right, I FINALLY have a working internet connection, so here are the pics I promised!

Me and John Wagner, writer and co-creator of Judge Dredd:

061EA855-2BCD-4DA0-8ECC-0B909C4FEF5E-8466-000011F13EF57FE9.jpg

Me and Carlos Ezquerra, artist and co-creator of Judge Dredd:

0655f9b7eaea6b529f56047a2c8a7686.jpg

L to R - Wagner, Me, Karl Urban (played Dredd in the film):

00048afafdb357a5e057486f9ba6c6f6.jpg

Me and Alex Garland, who did the screenplay for the film:

8073d030848215f12e9095b9f535db4f.jpg