passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Max Payne 3

retroed

I think with shaving the head it was meant to be all cathartic and shit. A clean slate so he could go save the girl and stop fucking up. Didn't he stop drinking as well?

It think the fact he managed to screw up his own buzzcut was a beautiful moment showing just how useless he is. That whole scene was excellent. He is all motivated to clean up and kick arse. Then he realises he is still the same old Max, same old fuck up.

At least, that is how I remember it. Correct me if I have anything out of order.

Pretty sure I'm right at the end of this. Had someone in the game hint that there's more twists to come so look forward to that.

I have massively enjoyed it and I think it's been overlooked but I do have a complaint and that is that I've died far more than I would've expected on the standard difficulty. I won't play through again on a harder one but I'd like to run through and collect the things I missed and finish the grinds.

I did all the single player grinds and I enjoyed every second of it for reasons I'm not sure of. Didn't stop till I was done.

Been playing A New York Minute mode, it's an arcade run of the levels , you start with one minute on the clock and you get extra time for headshots. Great twist on the action, loving it.

Finished it, every time I felt I was at the end they chucked something else in there.

I missed the graphic novel style but I think they did a superb job, it helps that the old voice actor was in there and the flashbacks had old style Max in there.

If I had played this last year my end of year list would've been a little different.

• 6 months later...

Well this was an experience. Me and Max Payne 3 really got off on the wrong foot, I think. I spent most of this game hating it; despising it and playing through bared teeth. But the reason why that was is because during the airport level, which is the final chapter, I discovered you could click in the right stick to slow down time... I played 90% of this game not knowing and using a crucial mechanic...

I thought the slow down time ability was just tied to your dodge-dive thing and that isn't a thing that is smart to use often. I did wonder a lot why the bar would fill up so quickly for a move that only had so many situational uses but to be honest I was coming to the conclusion that this was one of the poorest designed games I'd played in a while. I dunno if anyone has tried to play the game without ever using the clicky right stick but its' not nice.

First off the enemies are incredible accurate and can hit you when you're in cover and even when you're moving around so the game felt incredibly unfair to me for most of it as I just didn't know how to get out of some situations. I did the harder sections with the combination of my awesome aim and a triple helping of pure luck. It really wasn't satisfying to play.

I didn't take out the disc and frisbee down the street because it did show promise very occasionally. The set pieces are good and diving around as a sweaty old fuck is kinda cool.

But then I make my discovery of the right stick and the game starts to make a whole lot more sense. I actually start enjoying the firefights for the most part and enjoying the layer of strategy that the slow down time thing brings. Managing that bar and killing a room full of naughty cops while barely getting hit felt pretty good.

Now I know this I think I want to play the game again because I enjoyed the last 30 mins.

Looking back at the thread I see there is the thing with the game's story and writing. I remember Grahem Lineham critising the writing. I do see what he means and totally agree in some parts. Rockstar and Dan Houser do have a habit of over-writing dialogue but it is usually done so with a flair that does make it acceptable, I think. And Max Payne 3 has that, too, especially in the dialogue between characters. But that narration? Nope. That annoyed the shit out of me. It's awful. It's repetitive, full of shit metaphors that are often out of context and is just plain cringe worthy.

I think it's meant to be a poke at the caricature of the hard-boiled cop but he doesn't carry this kind of bullshit into his interactions with other characters so I dunno what all this shitty narration is about, other than to annoy me.

Overall, the game is fine. It might be more than fine but I need to play it again to see because I didn't read the manual.

• 10 years later...

I’ve been playing Max Payne 3 which is on gamepass (I didn’t know at the time I was downloading it and was really confused when it just booted up without a financial transfer).

It’s good in so many ways. The voice acting :(, the gun play. The animations are fantastic. Like when you land it’ll look realistic as to whatever you land on or around or against.

You have to care about the story though, which I have been, as about half of my time with it has been cut scenes.

On 22/05/2012 at 13:31, retroed said:

Pro-tip: crank the control sensitivity up to 6,6,5 and it plays a lot better imo.

I’ll try this. Also unfortunately screen recording or image taking appears to be disabled for, presumably all, backwards compatible games. 

30 minutes ago, mmmark said:

I’ve been playing Max Payne 3 which is on gamepass (I didn’t know at the time I was downloading it and was really confused when it just booted up without a financial transfer).

Max Payne 3 is not on Game Pass.

1 hour ago, mmmark said:

Also unfortunately screen recording or image taking appears to be disabled for, presumably all, backwards compatible games. 

Not sure what's going on there either... I've took shed loads of screenshots of backwards compatible games... wierd.