passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

retroed

AngMr-hCMAA9pGKjpglarge.jpg(taken with my Vita)

Uncharted: Golden Abyss is really rather spectacular. It's by no means the straight-to-DVD game that some reviewers would have you believe. It's proper Uncharted, but with more exploring and a lot of quirky use of the touch screen and back pad, that I don't think is tacky at all. Sliding your finger up on the back pad to zoom in on your sniper or camera lens feels intuitive, you can even tilt the Vita slightly to help fine tune your aim should you need to. There's tons of collectibles, you also have a camera with you throughout the game where you take pictures of certain areas that match up with photos in your journal. Sony Bend have done a superb job bringing one of my favourite franchises to the handheld, I'm on chapter 15 right now and if it carries on as good as it has been, it'll easily sit happily under Uncharted 2 and above 1 and 3. And I haven't even got to Sully yet. wub.gif

I just can't believe that this is a launch title. I can only imagine what developers will be pulling off on this machine in a year or two, given the chance.

I have to get this for all the great stuff said about it, but I dont agree with the price point at the moment, if I can find it cheaper, and im sure I will be able to, then its a definite purchase because it just looks amazing. :toss:

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure I like this. I'm not sure I even like Uncharted. I'm feeling very down on it. I don't like the shooting in it. It feels very light game wise too, I was expecting the full on PS3 style experience but if feels like I'm playing an extremely gutted edition. I hate the touch stuff in it.

It does look absolutely amazing however. Some of the visuals are jaw dropping.

I played and finished this over the Christmas period, didn't dislike it entirely but was meh at best.

The main problem I had with it, aside from the shoe-horned touch controls, was that it didn't feel like a proper Uncharted game. It had Nolan North, set pieces, a female partner, Sully, climbing, ridiculous jumps and shooting (the aiming of which is hellish on that tiny right stick), all the stuff you'd expect from an Uncharted game, but it ended up just feeling like a cheap imitation.

I guess Naughty Dog bring a certain something to the table that Bend couldn't replicate.

... Feeling like a cheap imitation.

That's the best way to explain it. It doesn't feel authentic. Plus I really cannot explain how horrible the touchscreen stuff is. The last thing I want to be doing is obscuring the screen with my greasy thumbs or fumbling the touchpad.

Finished it. So much shooting. It's the worst aspect of the game as a whole anyway, why do they need to keep putting in all these shooting sections? A dissapointment for me.

I'm just going to have to conclude with the fact I really don't get Uncharted. The characters are great and all that, but I do not like the game they are set in. As a series I think it might be The Emperors New Clothes for me.

By the end of it I'd gotten really awesome at clearing out the bad guys via stealth or hand-to-hand just so I didn't have to shoot them.

Of course, the hand-to-hand stuff has the stupid touchscreen gestures to wade through, but it was the lesser of two evils.

• 1 year later...

got it free on PS+

Couldn't get on with it.

Controls are slushy and no amount of tinkering with the setting seemed to help this.

Following a trail of golden bricks took away any sense of exploration, and having to touch the screen every 5 seconds kinda spoiled it for me.

I've never played an uncharted game before, and I really don't feel this was a good entry point to the franchise.

• 4 months later...

The actual game itself is fine I think and yea, I could do without the touch screen stuff as it bring nothing to the experience at all but I dont hate it. My biggest problem has been the story, by about Chapter 15 it was starting to bore the shit out of me. Ive turned it off at Chapter 20 because I could be arsed to sit through anymore story today. I'm pretty tired though, I'll try again tomorrow.

After the rowing level which was one of the most pointless experiences added to any game ever, things have picked up again. I like climbing and shooting in the jungle, feels like where you should be in Uncharted games.

All finished now. I was considering going back though on a higher difficulty but after replaying a couple of levels looking for some extra treasures I decided not too. It's fine for a single play through experience the game play isn't varied enough to justify another, there aren't any great set pieces a la Among Thieves so you are either climbing or shooting for 34 chapters.

It sounds negative but I did enjoy it, certainly worth downloading for a buckshee.