passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

PS Vita

Sambob

Not had a ton of time on it so far, but pretty positive so far.

The initial setup was a bit arse backwards but thats Sony for you. You go through loads of setup information, the standard stuff, region, time etc, before you can even get to the home screen eventually you get to adding your playstation network account and it says you have to update your software then takes you back a step to adding your playstation network account. If you say you dont want to do that it asks you to set up a new playstation network account(Which I didnt follow through with initially because ive just been told i cant associate a PSN account until ive updated the software). You have to basically do the initial setup of a new account, like region etc then you are able to update your software and then eventually associate your account. If you ask me then they should probably just take off the initial option to add your account, because its not possible to do.

Nothing minor but it really stumped me, probably because im stupid. Anyway once it all loads up nicey I didnt do much with the built in features just loaded up Fifa and started pressing buttons woot. It does look really great but it being Fifa it doesnt really show off how good things can look, and also with it being Fifa you can guarantee that its been lazily copied over and in about a years time will probably look as stunning as it should do. Gameplay wise it feels exactly like the bigger console version, but with the extra controls its even better. You can use the front touch screen to choose a player to pass to and also to precisely pass into space but the coolest feature is that when you are taking a shot on goal you can press on the back touch panel to choose where on goal you want the shot to go. Power and suchlike are determined by how long you hold the press, but its something that when you get the hang of will really improve the game.

I immediately went online to see how it could handle that aspect of it. It was quicker to find a game than it was on the bigger consoles, there wasnt any lag, it was smooth, all the shit you would want. I resorted to default controls most of the time as I didnt want to miss a gilt edged opportunity by trying the new controls from the off, but did get one really pleasing goal by using the fancy touch pad, but I was 2-0 up and it was worth risking it. The best thing about this is that the standard non touch controls work perfectly, the dual analogue sticks are ace, great placement, great feel to them very comfortable to use, and there was no horrible transitional period that I actually find I get when I switch from 360 to PS3 cotroller (im majority a 360 player). The face buttons are ace, they are obviously smaller, but dont feel like they are too small. The one problem I did have is that when I was playing in the dark I couldnt find the Start and Select button that easily, it doesnt stick out, so whether thats to your tastes or not is up to you, but because I didnt really have a clue where it was (under the right analogue stick) I was fumbling around like Jim on a Japanese subway.

Ive got to be honest and say that I did get a little bit of Handheld Claw, which came about because I was awkwardly trying to keep my hands out of the way of the back touch pad because id occasionally blast off a shot when I didnt mean to, caused by my finger straying to the very bottom of the touch pad. I think this is because the pad extends further than I thought it did across the back, it goes almost the whole length of the Vita. I dont know if this will be a long term issue, at the moment I think its just because im not used to it, it does disable itself if it senses both hands on the touch pad, and therefore not a precise, intentional touch.

It feels lighter than the 3DS but I really dont know if thats just the honeymoon period and me thinking its amazing, but I do remember getting a surprise first time I picked it up that it felt light. I actually thought when I got it out of the box that it didnt have its battery in it, part of the plug looks like it might be a battery so when I was unpacking it I set it aside but when I realised that it was just that light I was surprised.

Will add more impressions as I use the other features and when Wipeout turns up, but so far ive been as impressed as I could hope to be, the potential for the Swiss army knife approach to controls to have a genuine improvement on gameplay is still there, but I think its going to take devs a little while to master it. Shooting with the back touch panel really is an improvement when you get it right in Fifa.

The initial setup was a bit arse backwards but thats Sony for you. You go through loads of setup information, the standard stuff, region, time etc, before you can even get to the home screen eventually you get to adding your playstation network account and it says you have to update your software then takes you back a step to adding your playstation network account. If you say you dont want to do that it asks you to set up a new playstation network account(Which I didnt follow through with initially because ive just been told i cant associate a PSN account until ive updated the software). You have to basically do the initial setup of a new account, like region etc then you are able to update your software and then eventually associate your account. If you ask me then they should probably just take off the initial option to add your account, because its not possible to do.

yeah i'd read about that so was prepared, but i wasn't prepared for all the other problems/annoying stuff that happened, took about 2 hours to get playing on it properly with system/game updates. then it wouldn't download stuff from psn, had me stummped for a while, it looked like psn was broken as the download buttons just did nothing and it wouldn't show my download history - a reboot fixed that. and then the dlc code with ridge racer wouldn't let me download it and now says it's expired. spent more time playing on motorstorm rc on the ps3 than vita stuff tonight, but did have a little go on some stuff.

lumines is ace but it's the same as it ever was so glad i got it cheap - good (maybe new?) timed modes though as the main game was always too long for a quick go.

similar for ridge racer - looks/handles nice but it's just the same as previous versions but worse because of less content and if reviews are anything to go on it's really badly structured. so again glad it was cheap.

rayman - looks really nice, seems like a good fun platformer. some instant death stuff - not sure how annoying that will get later on.

wipeout - the game i was most looking forward to - for some reason i only played one track, it looks amazing though, and seemed to handle well with the stick (as did ridge racer).

motorstorm rc - nearly finished this on ps3 so thought it'd be a hastle to play on vita (syncing etc.) and probably wouldn't play as well. i was wrong, i had to do a tutorial again but then everything i'd done on ps3 was seemingly there without me having to do anything and it played/controlled pretty much as well as the ps3 version. really enjoying this game (still mostly played on ps3), and trying to beat the gold/silver/bronze/friends times is really addictive because of the way it loads these "ghosts" in. handling seems pretty good too. good price too.

the system itself is really nice, the screen is lovely, really bright and colourful and the analogue sticks seem to work well. d-pad seems nice. i didn't find it uncomfortable but then i haven't used it extensively yet. it's not really a pockatable size but that doesn't bother me.

the user interface for both the games and OS i had some peoblems with, it's largely touch screen only - why can't we use the buttons? (seems stupid). and there's lots of icons and stuff that isn't well explained. i had to look in the manual to work out how to close a game (swipe it like turning a page from the top right corner). and some games it wasn't clear what you could/couldn't tap on, it generally seemed a bit odd, never really had many problems with game UI's before. anyway once you know what you're doing it won't be a problem. just initially i found it pretty annoying.

Wipeout turned up, it taken me a few goes to get the hang of it but as the levels ease you in and you get better they then start to test you. Just when you think you know what's what, bang they throw in Zone mode. It's nothing new, your vehicles speed gradually increases and you keep going round the track until you can't keep good control and start to bump into the sides and your health goes. What makes this mode is the way it looks, find a clip on YouTube of the Wipeout 2048 Zone modes, it's some psychedelic shit.

The game looks stunning and if this is a taste of what the Vita can do then I am fucking excited and can't wait for stuff like Gravity Daze to come out.

Had a play around with a few other functions, the PS store works very nicely, looks lovely, the demos are really easy to get, they download in the background whilst you do whatever. I'm still not sure what I think about this online pass shit, apart from anything else it's confusing as shit as to where you enter your codes, you've got to go to the PS store and then redeem them against your account, but can't do this anywhere in the game.

yeah played some more wipeout too, looks amazing. still getting used to the handling, always takes me a while with wipeout games as they're usually pretty hard imo. the standard controls layout is odd too without the usual l/r air brakes, and some assistance (think it helps you not hit the sides as much) is on by default, not sure if i should turn that off.

what's your psn tag sambob? (mine is spatular--)

also got the golf game everyone seems to like from lovefilm. can see why people like it, it's fun, putting takes some skill (which i don't have).

http://spong.com/article/26449/Sony-PlayStation-Vita-Sales-Figures-are-In-Over-One-Million

We've all been waiting for them, now they are here: the sales figures for the Sony PlayStation Vita portable that went on sale in Japan on December17th 2011 and in the rest of the world on February 22nd 2012. It's sold 1.2 million units worldwide.

Well, according to Sony it's sold "over 1.2 million units worldwide as of February 26, 2012". Of course, the figure is not broken down by territory but what the company is saying is that "sales have exceeded expectations".

It also took a few words to have a stab at the Nintendo 3DS (with no much reading between the lines required), saying that, "firmly establishing PS Vita as the must-have portable entertainment device across the world..."

We've checked over some figures and you might like to know that, without any editorialising, of that 1.2m figure Japan was at total 578,812 for the week commencing 13th Feb.

That's not entirely spectacular. I think the success of the Vita will pivot on whether it has a good winter like 3DS did last year.

I had no idea that buying used games on the Vita denies you access to earning the trophies in-game. I read on Joystiq that there's currently a way around it, but that's thinking outside the box right there. Although, considering they're effectively meaningless I don't think it'll have the impact they're expecting somehow.

It may be a way towards arriving at some kind of standard though, rather than publishers picking random bits of game to lock up unless you buy new. If they made achievements/trophies mean something, like you could use the points you've earned to dress up your avatars etc., locking access to the points earned could be a good incentive.

managed to cancel my online case order and get the starter kit...i don't like either case included in the starter kit (i'm quite picky), might try and take it back to asda, not sure they'd accept it back though :unsure:

getting a bit annoyed with wipeout, the zone and time trials are ace even if i'm not very good at them, but the races and combat events are just annoying, and i keep having to play them over and over to just have to try and pass them. fortunately if you keep failing it does let you skip events.

Yeah Wipeout gets hard pretty quickly, when they take the edges away it takes a lot of practise to learn the courses. I had one particular Zone that took me a few goes, the hardest course I've found though was one where you have to race one on one to win a new vehicle, that took me ages and was just a case of doing the course over and over until I remember exactly when to air brake and when to sidestep etc. still, felt good when I did it.