passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Game in Trouble

DANGERMAN

About 10 years ago they built an ASDA near me and it had a games section, which was one half of the whole side, with the other half being shared with DVD's, CD's and books. Now you look at the game section and the desk I am sending this message from is larger. It's just moved on. It's essentially a selection for people that don't play games and a few kids games, along with tokens for stuff like Roblox.

I do wonder that when they eventually go, who will sell the next consoles on the high street? Or will it be a case of buying stuff like chromecasts where you just buy direct from the company and fuck you, you'll pay the price they ask?

My local store moved from a proper shop to inside the Sports Direct nearby. My biggest brick and mortar store now is Smyths just down the road from me, they are way better than GAME anyway.

I haven’t bought anything from GAME in donkeys years, maybe some cut price game in a Black Friday sale a couple years ago?

I don’t see them going under as they’re owned by the Frasers Group though. They’re mostly irrelevant already, I guess Frasers don’t want to deal with the hassle of pre-owned games.

I’ve always been a physical guy but almost without realising it the past 2 years I’ve slowly gone to digital, with cut price gift cards from ShopTo etc. you can get them for almost the same as physical and don’t have to rely on the increasingly unreliable Royal Mail.

For must play games, to not have that worry and be able to play at midnight right away, it’s worth it.

I don’t really buy enough or play enough games anymore for physical games to be worth much at retail the time I’m done with them too.

Still majority physical for me - either online or places like Smyths and Curry’s. While I can still buy physical for ~£15 less than on the digital store and able to sell on via eBay or whatever I don’t ever see that changing. Especially these days where I need to watch my pennies more. 

Even I have started buying more digital though. Sales are a lot better than they used to be (although Sony are getting tighter with their 1st party games) & if its a game I properly hyped for and sure I’ll adore (reviews pending) like Like a Dragon and FFVII Rebirth I’ll get them digitally. 

I’ve just bought the new Prince of Persia digitally too as I was able to get it for £35 from CDkeys in XSX so I’m happy with that price. I would normally have waited for a sale on that but since it’s already kind of budget and I do want to show support for these smaller, focused titles when they actually do them. That’s the kind of game I’ve been wishing bigger companies would go back to doing inbetween their huge releases. Much more my kind of thing these days. Only thing Ubisoft have done of interest in years. 

Im another for physical, i would love to see proper breakdowns on yearly reports of phy vs digital figures. 

They never tell us what %  of digital is dlc & currency/ mobile / sale ites

I bet if they actually compared sales for traditional titles it wouldnt be as skewed as they have you believe. 

As for game I have tried to use them, I have said many times in the past the death of the high street will not be good for consumers that being said its hard to justify game pricing, That being said I do try to actively avoid amazon but the likes of thegamecollection get most of my business these days. 

It’s official then. They’re ceasing it from the 16th of February.

Have to laugh at the part where they “remain committed to continue to give our passionate gaming fans the best customer experience”.

How the fuck is stopping people trading in, the best customer experience. The only reason I ever bought games from there, and admittedly that’s not often these days, was to trade games in to get the new releases cheaper. When you can’t do that, well there’s no reason to buy from them. 

They also sent me an email saying “Last chance to preorder Prince Of Persia from us, at £45”.

It’s £38 at Shopto, for the exact same version. 

Yeah. They’re fucked.

IMG_0301.png