passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

PSN being rebuilt

Hendo

It's been down for 6 or 7 days at this point, looks like Sony are rebuilding PSN from scratch.

Rumours suggest it's been an attack, other rumours say that Sony took it down themselves because of a chance of an attack, others say it's because of some fake credit card scam.

The current PlayStation Network outage started when Sony pulled the plug on the service to thwart hackers who had found a way to steal content using faked credit card numbers, according to a new report.

As detailed on VentureBeat, a poster on Reddit.com called chesh420 has claimed that PSN went down shortly after new custom firmware hit the web.

Called Rebug.me, the mod let users access a developer network where they could enter a fake credit card number and download content at their leisure.

The latest version of Rebug.me went live at the end of March, with guides explaining how to use the credit card exploit appearing a week or so later – shortly before the PSN downtime began.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It really is a bit of a mystery, no one is being straight and it's just all speculation. But I'm not going through a PS3 games at the moment, certainly not anything online, so I'm just ignoring all the nonsense.

I didn't know it may be a credit card thing, I've certainly not had any strange transactions on it so I'm unsure that is the case.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/26/psnqriocity-service-update/

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the current outage of PlayStation Network & Qriocity services. We don’t have an exact date to share at this moment as to when we will have the services turned on, but are working day and night to ensure it is as quickly as possible. We are currently working to send the following message via email to all of our registered account holders regarding a compromise of personal information as a result of this malicious attack on our servers, so please look for this information via email as well. Please note that we are as upset as you are regarding this attack and are going to proceed aggressively to track down those that are responsible.
Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer,

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity passwords and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please check www.eu.playstation.com/psnoutage should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment Teams

Sony Network Entertainment Europe Limited (formerly known as PlayStation Network Europe Limited) is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited the data controller for PlayStation Network/Qriocity personal data.

Is that the sound of shit hitting the fan?

I'd like to think that this is sony being ultra careful, but at the same time I reckon I could live without my card for a few days while I get a new one.

I've seen a lot of people saying they're going to sell their ps3's or never use psn again, laying into sony for it. That's a bit overboard if you ask me. Yes they have a responsibility to keep your details safe, but this loss was a result of the hack and the ps3 was the last console to get hacked. Sony went after the custom firmware pretty hard, and have took fairly drastic action with this

Still shit like, but the amount of idiocy and fanboyism I've seen already (like within an hour of the announcement) is :facepalm:

Most annoying thing is they waited 7 days to tell us this, instead of holding their hands up and saying data had being compromised and users should change any passwords and be vigilant about what appears on their bank statements as soon as this power down happened.

What contract? The Qriocity thing?

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened

Also, best comment goes to Zombie Cow Studios:

The worst thing about this PSN hack is that I'm going to have to think up a new password.

It's been all over the news today, it's one hell of a cock up. They made it sound like doomsday or something, it worked because I'm now a little worried. Stupid media.

Anyway, everyone with a PSN account got sent an e-mail that goes like this.

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at www.eu.playstation.com/psnoutage should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment Teams

I've just changed the password on my e-mail account so far, I'm sure it was different to my PSN password anyway but just in case.

same, although I've not had the email yet

I might change my amazon password too just in case. Although it looks like I changed my ps3 password fairly recently, but I don't know what to. It could be different from anything else I use. If only I could get on psn to check :unsure:

I've just had a major password update as everything was rather stupidly the same. All done now apart from PSN.

I think my card details should be fine - I havent bought anything from PSN since I got a new card.

So we're going to get a month of PS+ for free, as well as some other goodies. PSN will be up this week apparently, with the store up 'within the month'. We'll be prompted to change our PSN password next time we sign in.

0117_kn7c.gif

Why would they do that? There's bound to be someone pissed off that region X got something they wanted.

I can't see anything they can offer being enough to be honest. I might be lucky and my credit card details might be my old card but I'm still gonna go to the bank tomorrow and see what they say.

I guess different regions like different things, but yeah I can't think of much across the regions that I'd want and we don't have. The only other thing is that Sony Europe get to set there's, Japan there's etc, so you could end up with all the same anyway.

I've heard enough from the security firms to suggest our cards aren't in danger. Famous last words and all that, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. I do agree though, there's no single act that's going to make people forget this, same reason some people still avoid shopto, gawker and ebay

I hope they dont skimp on the freebies though. The one microsoft gave was shite (different cause like) and I dont think Sony can afford a token gesture.

Also I've got 4 accounts so I'll post what the options are (assuming I can sign into all of them)