passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pilotwings Resort [3DS]

illdog

The inbuilt software is super cool and the gang but load up a game and shit gets real. Forever will my first 3DS experience be Plotwings Resort so i will officially love it forever.

Very early impressions:

The actual games good fun you start off buggering about on a little flight test round the island from Wii Sport Resort bt i kicked that into touch and went to Mission Mode. Ive only done the Novice challenges (18/18 but they are piss easy) but there are five difficulty levels each with 6 challenges each i think.

The analogue stick controls the all the vehicles perfectly and 3D gives it an amazing feeling of depth. The music is super sexy and relaxing just like the SNES version which is a great tradition to uphold.

I had a little trouble landing the Hang Glider on the final novice challenge, that took a few attempts but i nailed a perfect landing on my fourth attempt. On to Bronze! I can see this getting tough as two day old shit in December.

It's classic Pilot Wings. The only thing I don't like is that I would have preferred to have control over thrust when in aeroplanes instead of having the boost. Everything else is awesome though, all that's missing is online leaderbaords so you can see how you stack up alongside your friends. The game doesn't look very long, but you can bet that the later challenges are utter shits.

Playing without 3D actually makes the game harder, I was expecting it to play more or less the same, but without it I was clipping my wings on trees, alcoves and buildings. It also makes landing on the targets a lot harder when you are restricted to the 2D plain. Illdiggler was right when he says the 3D is stepped up from the GUI, it works flawlessly as long as you keep the screen straight on. No eye problems or headaches so far, but then again this isn't my first foray into the world of 3D. I can't really see why it would effect anyone unless they were constantly rocking it so the image flickered.

That whole keeping the screen straight thing is my only irritant so far, when Pilotwings (or all games) get a bit frantic i tend to move around and its hard to break a 30 year habit.

Ive been trying to 3 star each class before i move on and its proving a little tough, although iv managed it on Novice, Bronze and Silver now. I was trying to be too conservative with ammo on the Plane level where you have to chase the car and pop the balloons, turns out you can just go crazy, in fact that's what your supposed to do.

You get more points for hitting the target in the middle though. I find it best just to fire 1 aimed shot.

I know dude, I was referring a level where you have to shoot balloons that trail behind a car, you dont get time to aim one specific shot, you have to wipe them all out pretty damn quick to get 3 stars.

I keep going back to this aswell. Put half hour into Ridge, havent opened SSF4 yet but ive pumped about 3 hours into this i think. Im halfway through gold, its tough to 3 star but it feels doable.

Platinum is tough and each level is quite long, got a bit frustrated with it for the first time. Its really hard to see when your underground in a plane o a jetpack, hitting a wall or the ceiling feels like its the result of a coin toss, especially if you move a little and the 3D effect ghosts. <_<

Still, its addictive as hell.

A woohoo, Novice through to Platinum 3 star'd.

nice work illdog!

i've done all the missions novice to platinum but no where near 3 staring all of them, one of them i couldn't even get 1 star!

the free flight thing looks like it will take some time to collect all the stuff but not sure i care that much, although i do want to unlock a diorama just to see what it is.

Done almost all missions but like spatular I'm finding some rock hard. The 3 min handglinder is a bitch.

yeah i find landing the handgliders especially tricky. the one i was really struggling on was the poping golden balls one. i've gone back to the earlier missins to improve scores which was fun/less stressful :)

Got stars on every mission now. Got perfect for the easiest, working on the rest.

Me too, except for working on the rest. The problem is, especially on the hang glider, you can work your ass off for three minutes getting everything perfect and fuck up the landing by the tiniest amount and you get 29 points instead of 30 - thats your score fucked. No thankyou.

Oh but more importantly the 3D clicked with me and it's on full now :)

This.

A woohoo, Novice through to Platinum 3 star'd.

Diamond Class unlocked. Nice.

plugging away at it a few more stars every night i've just done that now :) the gold balloon one was so hard, got the 3 stars by 1 point!

Is there anyway to turn the clock off on the free roam?

don't think so, think you can extend the time by collecting more balloons though? i didn't think i'd play that mode but actually quite enjoy flying round collecting stuff now.

• 1 year later...

I've gone back to this, I was assuming that you could play it local co-op which is what I intended to do until I booted it up and found that there were no multiplayer features whatsoever. That's kind of lame.

So now me and the lad are playing alongside each other and comparing points and stuff, oldskool style like when me and my mates used to post lap times on Micro Machines for each other to break. When I got my 3DS it also came with Ghost Recon. As you can imagine, the game I bought the bloody 3DS for got played minimally before getting cast out for some turn based terrorist slaying.

Now I'm back on it and I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot. Some of the missions are a bit off though, I can piss through most things 3 star no problem, but anything including the jetpack just gives me a royal arse ache. There's the odd challenge that really stumps me too, I'm up to a 3 minute glider mission now and it is an utter fucking cunt. I spend most of the 3 minutes struggling like a twat with the thermal updrafts and then crashland on the target. It's most annoying because out of the 3 vehicle classes I'm usually the best with the glider.

I'm also enjoying the free roam section of the game this time around too. I didn't really understand it before, but now I've spent a bit of time with it I understand what they are going for. I'd rather they just had an unlimited mode in there where all the stuff was ion there for you to trick off of, but none of it counts towards unlocking stuff in the game. It looks beautiful anyway, sometime I don't even go for the collectables, I just take in the sights and the music while trying to have as many near misses as I can.