passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mirror's Edge Catalyst - June 9th

retroed

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Just took the plunge and bought this on CDKeys for PC.

Obviously a bit risky, but DICE have good pedigree on PC and this was always going to be a Day 1 buy for me, so I went for it.

that's tempting, lot cheaper than the ps4 preorder I have.

Been delayed again to June 9th :(:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/21/11478858/mirrors-edge-catalyst-release-date-delay

Mirror's Edge Catalyst has been delayed a second time, with developer EA DICE announcing today that the game will be released June 7 in North America and June 9 in Europe.

That's two weeks later than the previously announced release date of May 24, which itself was pushed back from the original launch of Feb. 23.

EA DICE is running a closed beta for Mirror's Edge Catalyst starting tomorrow, looking to test the game's new online-connected "social play" features. Those elements include time trials and leaderboards, and the studio said it has developed "brand new online technology" to support them.

"We also want to make sure we have the opportunity and time to address player feedback from the Closed Beta," said Erik Odeldahl, design director on Mirror's Edge Catalyst, in a post on the game's website. "We're confident that these extra two weeks will make sure the game is as amazing as possible for you the players."

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is in development on PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One. You can check out 30 minutes of gameplay from the closed beta below.

This is a bit gutting, was desperately looking forward to this. Its been such a long time that 2 weeks wont really make much of a difference especially if it means the game is super polished and so on, but the main thing with delays this late in the process is that its potentially indicative of larger issues. 

You would assume that with this delay, there wont be a huge day one patch right? The discs will have already been printed and shipped and the work from this delay will probably all be in a giant patch that comes out on release, and then will re relatively untested.

Call me a cynic but this doesnt bode well in my opinion and so hence the opening comment of being gutted to hear the news of a delay.

i've been playing the beta/demo and i like it, it is a bit odd in the open world with collectables all over the place, and the unlocking of abilities seems a bit silly, but the 2 main ones you'd want (roll and quick turn) i unlocked pretty quick, maybe an hour.

there's this shield thing where if you keep moving it charges up and makes you harder for enemies to hit, which i thought sounded great - i'll be able to avoid combat...then the next mission forces you to fight. not that the combat was particularly bad, just not what i want to do in this game, except if there's just 1 baddie and you can jump off a wall and kick them in the face and that's it - those bits are pretty fun.

the runner vision is a bit over the top guiding you too much (apparently this can be changed in the menu) but i wouldn't want it off completely with the open world it'd be easy to get lost.

still the main thing, the running/jumping over stuff and whatnot and timetrials and stuff is still great fun, like in the first game. i only did one timetrial properly, following the arrows didn't even get me 1 star, played it quite a few times to find shortcuts and managed to get 2 stars - that was fun. it's a beta so maybe this is a bit harsh but something about the graphics looked a bit off, not sure how to describe it - but it ran pretty smoothly so that's good.

Yep. 

The purpose of the Closed Beta is for the development and operations team at DICE to test their servers, infrastructure, and processes ready for launch. One of our main goals as a development team is to ensure that our launch is as smooth as possible, allowing our players to have a great experience from day one.
The Closed BETA starts April 23, 2016 at 02:00 BST and ends April 26, 2016 at 17:00 BST.

I haven't played very far in (not entirely sure how much there is in this beta anyhow) but done the tutorials and a couple of missions.

It's been a fair while since I played the original and that wasn't very far in but this feels the same.

I guess this is that game with some more modern approaches, which does mean open world, for better or worse.

I should get more time with it tomorrow night, the potential is certainly there for a good game.

It took a while to get back into the flow, but now I've put a couple hours in I'm enjoying it quite a lot and my pre-order is safe.

I appear to have a glitch, though. My current mission, Michief Maker, has no marker so I have no idea where I'm meant to go. There was a marker there originally, but when I quit and resumed, it disappeared. Hitting left on the d-pad to display marker isn't doing anything either. There was an update this morning, but it didn't help with this issue. Other than that, good stuff although the framerate during cutscenes is a bit iffy on PS4.