passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Game Dev Story

Hendo

This has been gathering steam for a while now - Game Dev Story.

It's a simulation/RPG about making video games. You have a budget, hire staff, decide on your type of game, which machine it goes on (factoring in the cost of development versus the market penetration), decide to fix all the bugs or release it anyway, get magazine reviews and eventually make your own machine.

It's all very addictive but it's currently a bit pricey considering it's a port of an old phone game, and you can tell.

Really good though. :)

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it. It's not the deepest game in the world and I think it would be awesome if you could do multiplatform games and con punters with DLC (I'm imagining a Theme Hospital type thing, maybe GDS2?), maybe you can later on but the last console to come out was the 'Game-Box' so I'm not there yet. I recently posted something at GTM:

This is available on Android phones now, I've played it and it's awesome. I don't usually play games like this so it's a breath of fresh air. I am bollocks at it. I currently have no money as I put a rather large budget onto a solid fantasy action RPG, it was going really well, very good gameplay and graphics; but the GoTY awards came around one of my previous experiments (a romantic RPG) got the worst game of the year and that comes with a fee, a fee that sent me into the red. And since I have no in-house musicians I couldn't afford to hire one, so my awesome fantasy RPG got cancelled and I have no money. Back to making 'Game Kid' games I suppose :(

The world wasn't ready for Love Adventure I guess.

Since then I had a some relatively successful Game Kid RPG and shooter games since there are still a lot of them on the market and made some money quite quickly. So now I'm back on the PlayStatus, I'd like to make a Game-Box game but Intendro's licensing costs are astronomical; damn you Intendro!

It kept me playing until 3 last night (up at 7 :( ). I dont really feel that it explains it very well. My staff have improved a lot, I'm focusing on quality, but I'm still getting shit scores. Hendo says to keep hiring new people, but that feels like throwing away resources, especially as you've no guarantee the applicants are going to be any better than what I've got.

I've got a reasonable sum of money now, got by making game, then doing some paid work while promoting the game.

I'm really enjoying it, it could do with some serious work, but it's insanely addictive, as much fun as I've had in a while

Yeah the more you play it, the more you notice how much it could be improved.

The staff you start out with are pretty ropey and you'll be spending lots of time and money getting their stats up whilst you might as well pay to replace them with better staff in the first place.

The goal should be that you have staff members who are at least competent in all fields so you can rotate the jobs so they don't get burnt out. If you get to the point where you're offered a hacker, take it, their stats are insane.

Also, at every available opportunity, buy the career change items from the visiting salesman. Change a member of staff's career to every single type and then you unlock the ability for them to become an engineer which is how you make your own console.

I've kept all my old staff, even the musician I eventually hired was shit at music, I actually use my producer for that job because he's much better. But I don't want to fire them all.. It's my team! Even if we can't score more than 26 in Famitsu.

Though I have just had my first number one selling game; Hugglez, a virtual pet simulation game. It sold 1.5 million.

Need to stop, dont want a repeat of last night. I'm doing well, £14mill in the bank, a decent team (changing jobs regularly as Hendo says), started to review well and pick up awards, and can now make a couple of sequels

The 7 Smiths game history (so far)

Baku Mika - animal puzzle

Baku Baku Shin - animal puzzle #13

Wood's Wood - golf puzzle #14

Baku Titan - animal puzzle #13

Caddy Golf - golf sim #18

Persona Baku - high school puzzle #16

Baku Portable - animal puzzle #9

Smile Baseball - baseball puzzle #7

OH! Sweet @ - romance rpg #7 Worst Game Award Winner!

OH! Beautiful @ - romance rpg #5

OH! Tantrum #10 - romance rpg (worth mentioning the OH! trilogy was made very late at night)

Baseball King - baseball sim #5

Mining Force - dungeon rpg #4

Mining Force 2 - dungeon rpg #3 (not a proper sequel) Award Winner!

Borrowind - dungeon action rpg #3 Award Winner!

Baseball God - baseball sim #2

RoHipLove - dating sim #1

Super Baku - animal puzzle #3 Award Winner

Mining force 3 - dungeon rpg (not a proper sequel) #1 Award Winner!

ML Baseball - baseball sim #1 Award Winner

Torchfight - dungeon rpg #1 Award Winner!

Forced Love - dating sim #1 Award Winner!

Baku Love - romance puzzle #1

Highsona - high school rpg #1 (Hall of Fame, sequel due next year) [cost £2.5 mill made £18.5 mill :) )

Home Run God - baseball sim #1 (Hall of Fame, sequel due next year)

I'm going to see if I can remake the OH! series and turn it into a success

I love seeing the first week sales come in. I got to the point where I wouldn't start developing a game until the previous one had completely stopped selling so I got pretty good with the contract jobs. Once your stats are high enough, you can just burn through them.

Though I think I read somewhere that you'd probably make more profit from churning out a cheap PC game, even if the market share is very low.

Doing pretty well. I've got £400 million in the bank, 2 hackers on staff (so a wage bill of 5 million a year), and pretty much every game I'm releasing now is scoring high enough for a sequel... apart from my OH! DS port :fist:

OH! Online #@ will change that though

I've took to making a couple of sequels a year to boost my finances, then something new that will eventually nab me a couple more stat points to spend, and so make better games. The problem I've got though is that one of my hackers is showing as having hardware engineer experiences (level 5 no less), only I can't select it as a job to change to and it's still not letting me make a console

i'm doing crap at this, probably my insistance on trying to make my realistic ninja racing game a hit. even if i try to pick more sensible combinations there just doesn't seem to be any sensible combinations avaliable :unsure: won the worst game of the year award twice now :( when i give my staff jobs they just keep saying "this again, not sure i can do anything with this". losers.

so i "finished" this yesterday, did pretty badly really, never got a game in the hall of fame, got close a few times mind. never had enough money to develop for the big consoles, stuck to pc, game boy and DS, which served me well i guess, i think i didn't train my staff enough and hire new people enough...maybe. it is very addictive but i'm sort of glad its sort of over :)

I'm just about coming down from a week long Game Dev Story crack high, finished my second 20 year run though whilst on the toilet at work today.

Some stats for y'all

Game#312 swimsuit cardgame 2,997,046 units 33/40

Game#49 Trivia Architecture 11,167,862 units 35/50

Game#402 Motion Golf 27,797,687 units 38/40

Game#353 Music Dance 25,840,469 40/40

Game#382 Online Sim Dungeon 23,632,085 units 36/40

Game#45 Music Swimsuit 14,591,593 units 37/40

Game#44 Adventure Spy 14,429,187 units 33/40

Game#262 Simulation Architecture 13,480,997 units 33/40

Game#194 Puzzle Architecture 24,980,634 units 37/40

Game#183 Motion Dance 25,487,763 units 38/40

Game#40 Motion Golf 12,019,552 units 37/40

Game#352 Music Dance 19,940,743 units 38/40

Game#38 Online sim Dungeon 9,154,678 units 33/40

I could go on, but I won't.

I'm most proud of my perfect for my music dance game. Still haven't managed to get game of the year. Also I can't figure out how you re-name your games. Second time round I was generating so much cash I started developing for the new consoles as soon as they came out, think the DS was most profitable for me. Also focused a lot more on training staff and hiring better people instead of keeping people for sentimental value (sorry Mister X). This time round I never used external people for development, so everything after initial development was pure profit, and everytime I'd finish developing a game, I would start on contracts to keep the money coming in.

Spent a lot more on advertising second time as well, it really does pay off to use the more expensive advertising. I'm currently using "Lunar Writing" and its giving me massive stat boosts.

Dont be too hard on yourself Jim, it is pretty hard to find. I still cant work out how to pull my trousers down when i need a piss.

This game is awesome, its one of the most addictive games ive ever played. Had to drag myself of it yesterday to watch the football marathon.

• 4 weeks later...