passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mass Effect 3

Hendo

This has been confirmed to be an Origin-Works game on the PC and Gaf have gone crazy. For those that don't know what it is, Origin-Works is the same thing as a Steam-Works game i.e. if you buy a copy at a store, or off a download site, you have to register it with Origin/Steam. It's a security measure to a point, but it also acts as though you bought the game from there, so you have it tied to your account and can redownload it any time you want.

really don't get the fuss over it. I've seen some people say that they don't want 2 download management programs on their computer, which as neither are larger than about 30mg is a nonsense reason. Some say they don't want 2 running at the same time, but if you plan on playing a modern PC game on a pc that is affected by Steam and Origin running then you've got bigger problems. The one reason I've seen given that makes sense is the issue with EA tying accounts together so that if you get banned from their forums you might end up getting banned from their games, that's bullshit and EA need to sort it, but for the people complaining it's never likely to be an issue (although if people are refusing to buy the game on point of principle over this then fair enough, but I doubt that's why 99% are against it)

I like Steam, I even set my non-Steam games to boot from steam if they aren't using another service, if they are I use that. Origin works fine in my experience, and I don't really trust EA, certainly not more than Valve, but complaining that an EA game requires you to use EA's service to the point you wont buy the game reeks of fanboyism to me

http://spong.com/article/26167/Mass-Effect-3-USD75-for-Random-DLC

See the lovely figurines pictured to the right? Yes, those ones of Shepard, Grunt, Thane, and Tali from Mass Effect 3. Well, if you can afford them, then you'll also get DLC from the game. Yes, got the cash, then get the advantage!

Indeed, the lovely figurines, according to Bioware, "contain codes that can be redeemed for a downloadable content pack for Mass Effect 3 multi-player."

Okay, what do you get?

"(the codes) are slightly randomized during the registration and could include powerful new weapons and new characters. The pack could also include character boosters, weapon modifications, and weapon upgrades to make your multi-player squad stronger. (Only supported on XBox360 and PC.)"

How much?

"This is a pre-sale item with an estimated ship date of April/May 2012 Price: $75.00"

Yes indeed, if you've got $75 and can bear to tear the packaging open on the figurines, then you've paid your way to a DLC-based, multiplayer advantage, which isn't cheating at all, no way. In fact, other players will probably be pleased for you.

_-Mass-Effect-3-USD75-for-Random-DLC-_.jpg

Oh man. What a terrible idea.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, ok, so maybe ive become overly cynical, i should never have doubted ME3 would be anything other than awesome.

after looking at the achievments (a shallow way to judge the game i know but still...) they way they have the multi & single player achievments tied together appears to be the new sliced bread and should summarily be copied by everyone else.

im sorry mass effect 3, please forgive me, i was ignorant & foolish and should have known better, you would never have made me suffer multiplayer gaming without good reason or making it optional without taking from the main plot in which i have invested so much.

post-41268-128903159681.jpg

(as a complete aside: i know the above hat eating pic is shite but really, when you type "hat eating" into google image search its 1 of 2 that come up, the rest oddly are of people wearing hats whilst eating - now thats fucked up)

(pps: @craymen - you were right and for that i will never forgive you!)

Have downloaded it for myself but watched a mate play it yesterday, to a certain point.

He had his Kinect plugged in so tried doing the conversation thing and it worked, not sure why you would though.

Looks and sounds great, the Reapers sound straight out of a Nine Inch Nails album. My boy Clint Mansell doing the soundtrack. :wub:

The announcement of the Day 1 DLC character is a bit shitty. Day 1 paid content always is.

This, the thing they did with DLC in Dragon Age, and the way the Bioware name is getting slapped on everything all give me a bad feeling about the path EA are steering Bioware down.

I won't be buying it. Perhaps later down the line, if it winds up heavily discounted one day same as all the ME2 DLC.

At least we can be sure any extra DLC characters won't be integral to the main story so it's not too bad. Day one stuff is always a dick move though.

I find a lot of this pre-order and day one DLC gives you weapons and armor that is usually far better than the equipment you'd pick up in a vanilla playthrough so I tend not to bother using it until a second play. The Dead Space games were both shits for this, some of the suits you got were ridiculously over-powered to start the game fresh with, flushed alot of the atmosphere down the toilet.

If you wanted to get all the pre-order bonuses and additional unlocks for ME3 currently available? $870/£550

http://www.destructoid.com/it-will-cost-you-around-870-to-get-mass-effect-3-s-dlc-222045.phtml (this is counting all the Mass Effect branded hardware/accessories that give you unlock codes for in-game content)

The marketing/tie-ins for this have been ridiculous.

The only thing i'm a little concerned about is the "From Ashes" DLC as it's been reported that the character featured in it may be more important to the storyline than I originally assumed. I'll spoiler it for people who don't want to know:

A Prothean. A goddamn PROTHEAN. One, maybe the last, of a race that's been spoken of since the first game and a race that's integral to the overall story.

I hope it's not the case and it's only fits vaguely into the main story like the characters from the ME2 DLC, but I don't see how that can be possible given the subject matter.

Also, the other night, around 1am I decided I really wanted a model of the Normandy SR2 so went off to the internet in search. Luckily Bioware had an official one and shipped to the UK at a reasonable rate. Went straight through the checkout and was about to hit confirm but decided to check some pictures on Google to make absolutely sure.

This is what Bioware have on their page: http://biowarestore....dy-ship-replica

Pretty sweet, right?

Well, this is the reality: https://lh3.googleus...ZE/SANY0004.JPG

And that's £30, all in.

I'll let Liara take this one...

Liara_disappoint.jpg

The only thing i'm a little concerned about is the "From Ashes" DLC as it's been reported that the character featured in it may be more important to the storyline than I originally assumed. I'll spoiler it for people who don't want to know:

A Prothean. A goddamn PROTHEAN. One, maybe the last, of a race that's been spoken of since the first game and a race that's integral to the overall story.

I hope it's not the case and it's only fits vaguely into the main story like the characters from the ME2 DLC, but I don't see how that can be possible given the subject matter.

Also, the other night, around 1am I decided I really wanted a model of the Normandy SR2 so went off to the internet in search. Luckily Bioware had an official one and shipped to the UK at a reasonable rate. Went straight through the checkout and was about to hit confirm but decided to check some pictures on Google to make absolutely sure.

This is what Bioware have on their page: http://biowarestore....dy-ship-replica

Pretty sweet, right?

Well, this is the reality: https://lh3.googleus...ZE/SANY0004.JPG

And that's £30, all in.

I'll let Liara take this one...

Liara_disappoint.jpg

Casey Whatshisface put on twitter the other day that the DLC isn't important to the main story and you can play it just fine without. Can't be bothered to find it as he posts like a million things a day at the moment.