passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fallout: New Vegas

Jimboxy

Mixed emotions! I play for hours having relaxing fallout adventure fun and then it'll freeze, I'll get stuck behind something or worst of all its bugged and I can't get a character to do something they're supposed to.

Jeannie May won't follow me to have her head blown off by Boone. This is after trapesing around to find out what happened to his wife and he's promised me answers once I've done it

So I'm stuck.

I've not done that bit yet, I've just reached an ncr outpost towards the bottom of the map and am moat of the way through the sheriff quest.

same as you I've lost progress to freezes and glitches, although to be fair to it its not broken for a good few hours now, and it autosaves whenever you enter/leave a building.

Shoot the fuck out of the lottery winner.

I thought of doing that, I got him in my VATS and everything, but I let him run, I thought I'll get him later if he's up to something.

I've played it quite a bit, I'm level 6 I think. I didn't bother starting a thread because my thoughts were Fallout 3. I want to play it a bit more, see what the strip is like, how the story pans out, if the regional love/hate thing is meaningful. Once that is taken in I'll have a better opinion on it. So far so Fallout 3.

Oh, and I've had no bad bugs so far, just a few amusing ones.

The bugs have dried up for me now, aside from my frame rate dropping for no reason every now and then.

A word of warning though, when you're told not to go north of the starting town, listen. I'm on the verge of level 6 and got moiderised by some radscorpians, then some giant flies. Think I might just have to follow the main story quests for a bit, and those handed to me along the way, rather than wandering off and exploring like in Fallout 3

Either of you done a mission for a farmer where you have to watch over his cattle at midnight because something has been coming and killing them? It shit me up...

Something invisible starts using a mini gun and when you approach it starts walking off but you see it a little, like predator. So I shot it which disabled its camo and what appeared was a big bulky blue beast. Huge thing. I'm playing as a tiny skinny young woman. I beat the cunt though. He should have used McDonalds like everybody else.

Shoot the fuck out of the lottery winner.

Done. had a word with his mate too to get the skinny on what was happening, then I went back to Ghost. I'm wondering what would have happened if is gone up to the town hall, maybe even killed them all, I suspect is have got slaughtered ticket or not

Either of you done a mission for a farmer where you have to watch over his cattle at midnight because something has been coming and killing them? It shit me up...

Something invisible starts using a mini gun and when you approach it starts walking off but you see it a little, like predator. So I shot it which disabled its camo and what appeared was a big bulky blue beast. Huge thing. I'm playing as a tiny skinny young woman. I beat the cunt though. He should have used McDonalds like everybody else.

Did this the other day, and the bit where you have to deal with loads of them. I like them, they're nice and mental, although one did scare the crap out of me because he came from behind my radar suddenly appearing as my follower shot it.

I think I'm right near the strip now, I've spent the last few game hours just exploring and wiping out enemies. Consequently the Legion hate me, which hasn't been a massive problem yet if I'm honest, especially as I have 2 followers with me who can spot things much earlier than I do (and are better shots at long range). I'll be honest though there's been points where I've been pretty Fallouted out. I think it's the long treks between missions sometimes, at the minute I've only really got the story mission that I can do, so unless I find lots of stuff on the way it's a long boring trek to the north of the map. There's lots of locations around, but some of them are literally just holes in the ground or flat ledges.

For anyone who's done the Primm section of the story and spoken to the shop owner who runs the courier service, I found a nice little easter egg / nod to the plot not a million miles away from Prim

post-73-018757200 1288542397.jpg

post-73-006455800 1288542417.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've put a chunk of time into this over the past few days, and discovered a few vaults

In terms of the story I've caught up with the guy once

he's now fucked off to hide under Caeser's place, while the Yes Man (Dave Foley) has filled me in as to what to do after I've caught up with him. I've got Boone in my party, although I might sack him off, though not until I help him get his revenge and kill Caeser. And until I've done that I dont want to do some other missions which involve getting some slaves back from the legion. I'd rather walk into Caesers camp without them gunning for me

As for the vaults I've found Vault 3, Vault 22 and Vault 34

Vault 34 was a bit of a pain in the arse as it's full of ghouls. There's some survivors somewhere but I couldn't get to them and I'm not sure you can, although you do get a choice as to what to do with them. There's some decent weapons down there but you need a fuck ton of rad-x and radaway.

Vault 3 is pretty cool, it's full of Fiends (a drugged up raider gang), but so long as you're wearing neutral armour they shouldn't attack you. Once of the odd things though is that you can kill their leader and the fiends elsewhere in the building wont attack you.; I used this to work my way through killing all the Fiends before freeing some prisoners.

I'm now in Vault 22, it's a bit creepy. There's muttering coming from my rear speakers, which actually sounds like a Godspeed track, and a fairly foreboding sign out the front. I've not seen any enemies yet but a computer report has filled me in on what to expect. As tense as anything I've done in the game so far I think.

I'm level 20, I retried fighting the Deathclaws at the quarry a few levels back, didn't really work out too well, so I might leave it until I hit the level cap. I might see what perks are available next time I level up, see if there's something that will help me with them

• 4 weeks later...

put a ton of hours into this over the past few weekends and am right on the level cap and have just arrived at Hoover Dam.

I've loved some of the stories in this, at points the missions are miles above what's on offer in Fallout 3. However all the reviews that gave the game 9/10 and all that despite the bugs were wrong. If the bugs didn't deter from gameplay, and it's hard to see how random crashes mid-mission dont deter from gameplay.

The worst thing though is what happens with the quests. I'll put this in spoilers, but it's all going to be quite general, just names of some people you meet on your journey

It's too easy to glitch a quest, leaving it half done. I was coming towards the end of 2 duelling quests for the Brotherhood of Steel when my little robot ED chirps up. The BoS get on the radio and tell me that if I bring ED back to see them they'll get some data files off him but boost his weapons and armour.

I've got to go back anyway so accept their offer. The problem was that the person who wanted to see ED was also the person I needed to talk to to finish the part of the quest I was on (and so bring tie up loose ends so I could do the final part, which I'd been sat on for a while). I hand Ed over and the scribe I was talking to vanished, for hours and hours and hours. I lost patience and went and did the final part of the full quest quest, assuming it had either glitched or he wouldnt come back until I forced the end of that quest.

I did, and pretty soon he and ED returned, but now the quest is marked as done even though it's not finished. If I go and talk to the guy again he asks me to go and talk to his boss, but his boss isn't his boss any more so I can never get that to progress. Which also means I can never get them to become my allies

Returning to the strip I had a similar problem. I was warned that if I carried on helping someone then one of my allies would refuse my support. I was also set on a path to fuck those allies over despite not really wanting to (I suspect the ultimate decision on that is still some way away). The problem is the game would not move on unless I helped this person. My quest log was clear of story missions apart from working with that guy, meaning I had to do it

It is still good, and I do like the tone of this one. There's things that really need to be improved for the next one, chiefly the menus. On the map screen there needs to be a way to remove things/highlight things on the map, put things into categories. Trying to get back to somewhere when you've got a full map is a fucking ballache, as is trying to sort your 'aid' between food and everything else, especially in shops.

The last patch I installed, no, but there's a new one I havent tried yet. I dont know if I ever will. I've still not finished Fallout 3 and its DLC, so I might do that before even thinking of coming back to Vegas again.

The end of the game suffers from the same fate as Fable 3 (as I understand it), in that you get forced along a path you can't stop, making choices you dont want to, and basically fucking over people you wanted to help. Somewhere down the line I must have made a bad choice, but I dont know where, it certainly didnt seem to be in the last 10 hours of play. I also dont think it ever really wrapped up your character properly, it feels like you should have some grander cause than just being a courier in the wrong place at the wrong time

To a point yeah, but the ending I got is way too big for a courier to aim for. At least in Fallout 3 it was tied to your dad, then finishing his work/getting revenge, here you just do it ... because

Also, and this is a little spoilery

I found out that I wasn't originally hired for the courier job, that someone else was supposed to deliver the chip but saw my characters name next and passed on the job so I'd get it. I never found out who that was, or what the message in the spoilered picture a few posts up meant

I might have missed a few things, it is Fallout after all, but I'd like to see it more as a revenge story. Helping one side or the other works (3 endings = NCR, Legion, Yes Man [the one I got], but to rule the wasteland yourself with your robot army, when it doesn't really feel like you've solved who you are yet just doesn't sit right

Maybe that stuff gets covered in the DLC, but the end I got is pretty shit (I wanted one of the others)