passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Giant Bomb Mega Thread

David

Yeah, just got to that bit now. Jeff was planning to go to Summer games fest with Giant Bomb, was fired three weeks before he was going to quit, was planning to leave after E3 to pursue his own thing, doesn't know why he was fired, tried to make it work beforehand but it was clear it wouldn't, writing was on wall for sometime that what he wanted to do would not happen at Giant Bomb.

Turns out when you sell your company to somebody they can ruin it, because it's theirs. ... I'm talking about Twitter. Umm...

Jeff Gerstmann in the opening five minutes of the latest episode of his podcast, talking about Twitter. 😬

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A thing about the US employment dystopia, employment is often at will, they can tell you to fuck off whenever they want, also healthcare is very difficult to access outside of employer schemes, which puts Jason in a particularly shit spot as his diabetes has advanced pretty bad in recent years (sight issues, neuropathy)

Gaming outlets seem to be the worst ran things in the world.  How do they expect it to grow without staff?  They're so personality based, what do they think punters come for?  What do they think their product is? to look at it cynically.

I think Jess could be okay going independent but Jason is a team guy.  It sucks that the worst people are in charge of those kinds of projects.

The thing with a site like Fandom is it sort of represents the terminus destination of this kind of media reporting. Their whole business model is to just traffic ads through farmed out content, the quality of the content isn't the point, it just needs to be monetized. Which smothers out individual voices, and is anathema to the kind of independent reporting that Giant Bomb was originally founded on when this whole thing happened 16 years ago 

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/11/30/the-new-games-journalism

kl.png

Ad tech just seems like such a scam, it's turned most of the internet into a SEO infested pile of rubbish, google is unusable now. It's hard to see the sense behind the business model. But people believe in it for some reason.

I always find it silly how people get on Jeff's case over him being cynical about the hype cycle in the games industry, like he's not completely justified in feeling that way about it, having been in the industry since the 90s and seen enough and been on the receiving end of such cynical bullshit himself.

I think I posted this before but it's a good writeup from Dan Snider, who was one of the lead engineers on GB back in the day

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=33066626

• 1 month later...

Bloody hell, that’s a big one. Im not a fan of him on shows but I know what a huge part he plays behind the scenes and when I needed help with my sub years ago he was very helpful so could be a big loss. 

Jess and Jason seemed to be the straw for me though, since they left I’ve let my Sub end and barely watched any GB stuff at all even though I love Jan, Grub and Dan. But it’s not the same anymore, it feels different when watching even when it’s those same  people I like.

Damn shame. Nextlander has no energy & tend to play games I’ve got little interest in. Love Gerstmann but carrying a show on your own is just tough, not for me. Need him bouncing off and winding people up, not just talking to himself and chat. GB is a shadow of its former promising self when they first got the new crew together - it’s been wasted really, wish Tam and Lucy were a bigger part. Just not got anyone I can watch anymore for games really. 

I would think that Jan and the two Jeffs are shipping their CVs around, but they are also swamped with work and it's really hard to make a move like that sometimes (unless you just let standards slip a bit maybe).

For games stuff I watch eurogamer sometimes and waypoint but there's no replacing giant bomb really, they were the best at that stuff

I think Jan to Nextlander is the dream. They really need someone so they don't have to rely on Brad for energy because he has none. They could also do with putting out more video content. I'm amazed they don't do a stream every weekday 

On GB, I've not watched anything of them in so long. But I was watching Waypoint and GB raided with something like 140 people. Giant Bomb used to have thousands watching, they must have topped 10k back in the day 

My issue with NXL is I'm just sort of burned out on watching zoom call style interactions. Fine for podcasts but the video stuff is just poor. Waypoint do that as well but they have some in person meetups relatively regularly, which helps I think. Similar with EZA who seem to have a hybrid thing going on these days

• 5 weeks later...