passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Heavy Rain

HandsomeDead

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by the podcast I'm here just to say I must be the only person who didn't mind the characters accents, they never became a problem. I could understand an American hearing it and thinking it isn't quite right but not to me, I'm pretty bad with identifying them anyway. The kids ones are shit, I noticed those but the kids were shit full stop.

I didn't understand why Scott's brother had this attempt at a southern accent yet Scott had what sounds like a New York one. Maybe they were seeing how many bits af America they could get in.

I think it was GiantBomb that sai it should have been set in the UK or France since that's where the creators are from, they would understand the setting better and be able to do it more convincingly. Trouble is I don't think America would buy that game.

My friends finished their play through the over day, they seem to have enjoyed it so I guess it does work for those that aren't hugely into games, they even got the happiest ending which I didn't. They never did get used to those controls, it was such an odd choice, really. It was funny seeing my cousin who is a girl be a complete girl on The Taxidermist DLC when..

.. Madison is being chased around the house she found it so terrifying she threw the pad at her feller and ordered him to do it 'cos she couldn't take it. I think the finger scene had a similar effect, she did that but didn't look at the screen while doing the QTEs, they had to be dictated to her. :lol:

The power of video games.

I started this properly last night, again after hearing it mentioned on the podcast. I've played through the first 18 acts now, and am engrossed. It is a bit awkward at times controlling your character, but I'm managing fairly well on the whole. I meant to turn the trophies notification off, as it seems out of place here and I can fully understand why Cage didn't want them put in at all. I got one called Blunder earlier, and it made me think if I'd done something wrong or not. I think I did in retrospect, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'll only be playing through this the once, as intended. I think it's going to be a memorable experience.

This just froze up on me whilst loading the next chapter. It stopped with Scott's face moving around on the screen. I left it for a couple minutes, but in the end I had to press the PS button to quit the game. The PS3 made three beeps and rebooted on its own. I've loaded it up and managed to carry on as normal.

I'm a few more chapters in now, and still loving it.

:o

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Finished this game today, and blimey its good. I really can't remember the last game where i cared what happened next and the plot line, great story. I really liked the controls in the QTE they just worked for me. I really hope they make not a sequel as such but another game in the style maybe? it just felt like an interactive film but just better made.

My finish storyline was the happy one i think, but everything turned out ok in the end, its not a game i will play again for a while, im sure the core ending will be the same?? but i may play again at some point.

Overall great game! and i haven't said that about a game in a while.

• 6 months later...

Finally finished this. Thought it was fantastic, I can't remember having played something that made me so tense.

When you find out Sam is the killer and your sitting at his desk burning the evidence, I was still refusing to believe it. It really is the masterstroke of the game to have you playing as the killer.

I only wish now I'd carried on playing it instead of leaving it for a month to finish. Some of the details felt a bit wolly, but i think i got most of it.

Had a happy-ish ending, FBI got mulched, but he was pretty fucked up anyway and i pretty much screwed up everyone of his QTE. I expected him to be dead on about three separate occasions, although still gutted when he finally bit the dust.

I think the only issues i had are the ones i mentioned on the last podcast. All of the QTE stuff seems like a clever interoperation of what the characters are attempting to do, but the movement and camera controls are terrible. Also some of the dialogue is a bit ropey, mainly the kids and Ethan's wife.

• 2 months later...

The controls are absolute arse and some of the voice acting is appalling. Especially with the flashback of the two kids. I know one of you is going to die and I only wish it was both of you.

I've done my best to avoid spoilers for this but quite by accident I found out who the killer was so it was interesting enough playing just to find out how this all worked out and if I could spot clues and hints.

WARNING! Extreme spoilers below, do not read if you haven't finished it.

The only problem I had with Sam Spade being the killer was that in the scene with the old guy in the clock shop, I was in control of him and he never went into the back room so I fail to see how he killed him when I was in control the whole time. That smacks of bad design, unless there was some mini-blackout that I missed.

My ending was pretty good - the boy survived, Madison called FBI Coke-head to the rescue and Coke-head killed Sam Spade at the end. Everyone survived really apart from Sam Spade and the prostitute, which looking back it made sense that he got himself out of the car and left her to drown, although at the time it was due to me pressing the wrong button.

They do a good job of keeping you guessing. If I hadn't already known, I would've thought it would be Ethan, then Coke-head, possibly crooked cop but never Sam Spade until the end. I wonder if the families really had paid him to investigate the case or he was doing it to try and cover his tracks.

On the whole I enjoyed it but as I said, the controls were often extremely annoying and the first two hours I found really dull but once it got going it really had me on the edge of my seat.

• 2 months later...

Heavy Rain won three awards at the BAFTAs last night, and to celebrate...

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>