passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Heavy Rain

HandsomeDead

So far, I really like this game. So much more than Fahrenheit.

I should really read Gamecentrals review because I'm interested in what the problem is with this game, what I have played has been nothing short of immensely entertaining, in a depressing sort of way. I only have one criticism so far, the dialogue can be awful, but the voice acting, graphics, animation and general atmosphere and tone do make up for it, maybe they need to play more Bioware games to get the knack for conversation.

Now we come to the gameplay, action sequences are made up of QTEs as we know, they also can't be failed. Now this is my first play through so I don't know the effect of failing them, important ones atleast. I did fail the one at the start, its a pretend sword fight with your son, I read in GTM that failing it is the fatherly thing to do (in their opinion) so I did the same, the original thinker I am. Detective work is also included and if I'm honest I wish some more thinking was involved, so far its just a case of checking everything and it falls into place, I would of preferred the opportunity to do the deducting myself.

Thats not to say the game is completely passive, sometimes it does feel that Heavy Rain could have been done in any other medium but there is still enough player discovery for it to warrant it being a "game". When you fail an action piece the fight often goes down a worrying path and you start to give a shit, more so if it was totally out of your control, even knowing your character is down and just proper down (this is a proper depressing game) and looking at yourself in a mirror really shows the tone, there are also parts that require some quick decision making that you know will alter the coarse of the story.

Maybe this thing could be played on a DVD player and a remote, I know Sony have been pushing it as the future of gaming but that is just bullshit. But I do hope aspects of this game are considered, in a sense it is a benchmark title, so, so many games are merely action games. I fucking love games, and I want them to go in as many directions as possible and while Heavy Rain isn't the best detective thriller game out there it is the only detective thriller. Maybe someone else can make a better one.

what I have played has been nothing short of immensely entertaining, in a depressing sort of way.

been playing this a bit tonight too, that's a great summary right there. agree with DC on all the good bits, i didn't notice the bad dialogue either but that's something i just wouldn't pick up on.

the thing i was worried about was the qte's - they're most unhelpful, but because of the way failing them can change the story i think they might have made them harder so there's more chance of failing so seeing a different story, if they were easy to read like in fahrenheit most people would probably see the same story - or maybe not, who knows. anyway the main point there is they haven't been annoying me at all, unlike the walking around controls which are aweful and not helped by the camera angles, but there isn't too much walking around so it's not a big problem.

thumbs up here so far anyway :)

edit - oh yeah it crashed on me once, didn't loose too much due to the auto save, maybe i need to get the update to fix the crashing? i didn't get it because i wanted to play it some time this year.

I was a bit dubious about this & was totally unhyped for its arrival but picked it up yesterday and after playing it for 5+ hrs yesterday evening I daresay I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Agree with what was said re the voice acting & sometimes the accuracy can feel a bit mixed (ie during a fight) but on the whole I think its terrific! :D Environments are hugely atmospheric & the emotions of the characters really draw you in

from Ethan loosing his son to Madison Paige being attacked in her apartment (yep, in her undies!)

Its also got that gritty urban feel I so often love in games. Chapter levels vary in size but are reasonably explorable.

In fact I'll be playing it again tonight!

post-73-12673813062954.jpg

Really enjoying this, it's amazing I dont feel like I've really done anything yet but it's still gripped me. The

park

scene for example had me chuckling, even though what you actually do is quite monotonous. Then the tome completely shifts, which I think is probably the games strength so far, it's paced just about perfectly.

Also

BOOOOOOOOOBBBBSSSS! ANGULAR BOOBS

finished this today, really enjoyed it overall, the plot/atmosphere whatever you call it was really good, some really tense stuff and some decicions i really didn't know what to do. some bits i didn't really understand

why was madison attacked in her appartment?

but maybe i just didn't choose the right dialogue options to find out. the character controls and camera angles do conspire against you to make the most simple things really annoying, and i see what DC was on about with the dialogue now i've come across some really bad bits but it's mostly ok. it's interesting regarding the ending how people had different things happen, bit like mass effect 2, i'd be interested in what outcome other people had, my ending:

all the main characters lived appart from the bad guy, and we all lived hapily ever after, apart from the 2 people i killed which the game didn't seem to care about. and i know someone who had them all die appart from the bad guy!

why was madison attacked in her appartment?

It was a dream.

Most problem with the dialogue is the stuff early on, I found the conversations with Nathan's kids and wife really cliche and boring, some much needed charm would of made it great, and would of gave more of a shit. His wife is a bitch. Some of it was pretty good when the plot got rolling.

My ending was worked out pretty well, I only lost Norman. I fluffed up some QTEs, Shelby twatted him with a sledge while knocked out on a conveyor he was moved into some nasty looking machinery. Ethen, Shaun and Madison lived and Lauren cought up with Shelby at the end.

What was the deal with Ethan's blackouts, they never explained why he would have a origami figure in his hand?

I'm not playing it again at the moment to see a different story but I watched some friends go through it, they got about halfway before leaving and they've done things quite similarly to I did. I though I'd be seeing a different game. They're really struggling with the controls, especially the movement, they could of done something different.

My cousin did manage to talk to the psycho religious guy, I shot him after he spouted some Christian mumbo jumbo about the anti-Christs and pointing a gun at a fellow police officer.. even though he is a cunt.

It was a dream.

My cousin did manage to talk to the psycho religious guy, I shot him after he spouted some Christian mumbo jumbo about the anti-Christs and pointing a gun at a fellow police officer.. even though he is a cunt.

oh yeah, i'm an idiot :lol:

i shot that religious guy too, but by accident, sometimes it's not clear what the different options will do - louren died because i left here, i was going to try and save her but pressed something else by accident

I'm up to the Emily bit and I think ive worked something out, dont imagine its that important though

the womans husband has disappeared, so did the dad of the prostitutes kid, its because rather than not caring about their kids they've gone off to do what the notes say. Not exactly Sherlock admittedly, but it was a layer of detail i wasnt expecting

I won't say too much other than I almost ended up in a butcher's lair last night!! :lol:

Some scenes in this game almost remind me of some of the Hitman games (but more detailed obviously)

I love the attention to detail - from the apartment blocks to Motels & industrial areas..

Some of our local game shops have actually sold out of this game already!

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/01/uk-charts-heavy-rain-reaches-number-1/

Karen went to get this for me today as an early Birthday pressie surprise (looks like the hints paid off :blush: ), and she had a right mission to find it! HMV, Gamestation, and all three GAME stores had no stock, and didn't know when they were getting more in. Luckily, Morrisons had one copy left, so she snapped it up. :wub:

I've played through the Prologue which was a great introduction. That's all I've played for now, but I intend to play it some more tomorrow. It looks amazing graphically, really impressive stuff. I can already see myself getting attached to the characters.

Completed, what a fucking game. There's one bit I'd really like to do over

As Nomnom I accused Carver, then I didnt call him with the journalist. Really wish I could change those things, see if it doesn't give him a bit of an upbeat ending

Great stuff though, really looking forward to the dlc

HMV, Gamestation, and all three GAME stores had no stock, and didn't know when they were getting more in.

We're not getting any in until the end of the month, there just weren't enough copies made. Might be worth selling this on eBay if you've finished it because the value should stay pretty high until then.