passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

retroed

I've only done the first two levels so far, but I've got all the gold coins in them both, and have 14 lives. On the second level you are introduced to platforms that you can tilt with the Wiimote. It works well, and is handy for reaching places you couldn't quite get to before.

It's 2D Mario. I can already tell this is going to be leagues ahead of the DS version. :wub:

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

It's funny really, I loved the old 2D Mario's, thought all the recent Yoshis Islands were fantastic but then never bought the DS Mario. Also, I was put off of this by the ads pushing the multiplayer aspect but I reckon I might really enjoy it having read some reviews. Especially if it has lots of cool little bits like you say, its is strictly 2D or are there some kinda psuedo 3D bits?

It will all be strictly 2D as far as I'm aware, like the DS version.

Level three has Yoshi, and when you jump on his back he does that noise he did in Super Mario World. :wub:

There's secret areas too, I had to find one to get one of the coins in the third level. Brilliant stuff.

Ive got this today and rarely i get a game on release, but i had to get this and yep loads of fun in 2d i thought the graphics could be a bit sharper they seem a tad dull and the gameplay is fun, although its frustrating my brother loads! and its not a game for the casual game as its tough in places!! or im just really bad at gaming.

My last thought is i may be moving the wii to the bedroom, as after work shifts im knackered so i can this being a bedtime game, just like the ds version was!

Oh my tin has a scratch on as well!! not impressed with Game!

my tin has a dent.

took me 3 lives to get past the first gumba :lol:

edit, played some more and got past the first world now but i'm loosing lives all over the place, it's too hard for me and i've never got very far in a 2d mario game (best i've done is the last level on the DS one) but i'm enjoying it so far, maybe the new feature that plays it for you will be really good for me. it's a bit oldschool with the checkpoints too if it had more i'd like it more, maybe a trials HD style setup would work well.

On world 4 at the moment. I know some people have said it's not all that challenging but I beg to differ - Team Useless has gone through about 20-odd continues so far.

It's fucking brilliant though. :D

On playing the ice world I was a bit sad that I maybe should've held off on playing it until Christmas because it's that sort of a game.

I honestly recommend this to everyone, even Ben could enjoy this.

On world 4 at the moment. I know some people have said it's not all that challenging but I beg to differ - Team Useless has gone through about 20-odd continues so far.

glad it's not just me, i'm finding it really hard, on world 4 too, pleased to make it that far. it's pretty frustrating, especially when you die with the mid/end level flags in sight, but also really satisfying when you get through a level :D

i wish it auto saved after every level because there's some cool stuff i'd like to try but need to conserve lives at the moment, and if you use a continue you can loose a few levels worth of progress, and a few levels can involve a lot of blood, sweat and tears :unsure:

wonder how bad you have to do before the auto play thing makes an appearance? because i've been doing plenty bad but not seen it.

Im loving this aswell, its just more of the same but its fucking addictive. Nice and colourful and happy which makes it in odds to some of the frustration it hands out. This is definately one for the old school platformers, its going to require some epic skill to 100%.

i'm on world 6 now i think and i'm not sure i can take too much more of the punishment it's handing out, i sort of want it to end soon :unsure:

anyone got any tips for the guys that throw stuff (like hammers) at you and jump up and down? i usually have to run past thoes unless i can throw something at them.

Im loving this game, but im struggling with this!! really frustrating at times when you die over and over at the same point! that little green box pops up this is how your supposed to do it, i know i just can't quite make that jump!!

But its bright cheerful and i will beat that boss level today!!

Got this today, finished the first world with no real issue then hit World 2 those fucking dessert worlds or any sandy level in a Mario game always get me! Whether its the Sand Bird in Mario Sunshine or World 2 in Mario Bros 3!

Anyway, theres so much here I'm loving, I've always enjoyed the 3D Mario's but not to the extent I used to the 2D ones, and for some reason the DS one left me rather cold I just didn't enjoy it and I could never put my finger on why. This however feels like an updated, polished blend of Mario World and Mario Bros. 3 and is just excellent.

The Super Guide features are never really in your face and I think their inclusion has allowed Nintendo to make this old-skool challenging which is no doubt a good thing as I feared they might dumb it down and make it easy for their new market but they appear to have got the balance just right. It's right on track to being in my end of year bitparade Staff Picks.

just finished this, well pleased as i found it really hard and didn't use any help :D not done level 7 as i warped past it somehow, hardly got any big coins and not done

level 9

but i don't think i'll be going back to it for a while now (except for some coop). overall i really enjoyed it, can be too annoying at times though, only had one problem with the controls, which really are spot on, just activated the shake/spin jump once by accident.

Tell you what, New SMB on the Wii is great, im on a really Christmassy level (World 3) and its helping to ease me into seasonal joy but f*ck me its annoying.

The controls are just off perfect (and perfect means the original NES Super Mario), there are a few deadspots ive noticed. For instance where the scenery slopes and your running at speed, i suppose Mario technically leaves the ground for a split second, therefore he wont jump and you end up running off a platform to your doom. Also, the pixel perfect jumps off the edge of a platform or pipe isnt quite as acute as it used to be

My main beef is with walljumps, i mean its easy to do but only after he's been against the wall for half a second. I know thats not a long time to wait, but my old school brain demands instant reactions to navigate such treacherous scenery and im not getting it, i press the button as soon as i hit the wall because it feels right but nothing happens.

I dont feel im being givin the control over Mario the game demands. Its like asking you to eat a meal without making mess but giving you a saw and a hammer instead of a knife and fork. I still love it despite these niggles but the bad stuff always comes to the forefront of your mind.

On the plus side i love the music, the challenge, just did my first ghost house and they are a welcome addition, its truly a great game no doubt.