passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

'Splosion Man [XBLA]

David

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The goings starting to get a little toughib the 2nd set of levels. There's bastard hard jumps and perfect accuracy required on some bits. I'm refusing to use way of the coward, I want to finish them all properly.

Yeah, i was going to ask what film, but it's his rant. I've still not heard any of these lines :( (edit: me neither Bmac)

I'm not far from the end, I'm on 3-10, or will be tomorrow. I can see what Eurogamer were saying about the repetitiveness in their review, it throws new ideas at you for a couple of hours, then it just reuses stuff for the latter levels almost in themes. And the difficulty can be a bit sporadic, there's times where im waiting for something to happen because it's just too easy compared to the section that went before.

Still loving it though, definately one of the better xbla games

This game is shit. Trail and error gameplay FTL. Sometimes the platforming reminds me of that of LBP, the inertia of man seems pretty random. There was one instance where there were loads of ships firing lasers at me, where you had to get up the top switch. So you would use first explosion to big wall, then to the block with the switch, then back to the wall. Thing is, then you had run out of spodes and couldn't get back. If you pressed right you ended up in the big wall, but if you pressed left, he bounces off the big wall and onto the switch. :blink: The constant grabbing of things pisses me off, especially when he decides to grab on when you don't need to. When you want him to grab he wont. The windows where you have to do things are way too short, I find myself often dying just to see how I can avoid it next time.

I really loved the start of the game, but everything after the boss sucks rhino dick. I'll finish it, but I can see myself really fucking loathing this game for been badly designed with the checkpoints and difficulty.

This game is shit. Trail and error gameplay FTL.

AND

I can see myself really fucking loathing this game for been badly designed with the checkpoints and difficulty.

This. Without the thinking its shit part yet because i havent got far enough in, just done the first boss but i do hate the trial and error gameplay and some of the checkpoints are bollocks.

Y'see I can see that, there are points where I've set off knowing I wont do a section just so I can see what to expect. There's also been a couple of bits where I've had to do 2 or 3 nightmarish sections before hitting a checkpoint. But I still like it, really like it even. It's a proper hard game like we used to play, and for the most part there's plenty of checkpoints to help you along.

It's got a proper retro challenge to it which is what I like, had it been easier I think I'd have been bored by now

I wouldn't call it trial and error at all - there's been no part of the game where I've had to experiment or just get lucky, because it's always been pretty obvious what to do, at least in my opinion. Practically every time I've died it's been my own fault. The checkpoint have been fine for me too, maybe some a bit long but nothing hideously unfair either.

I liked chapter 2 as well, there was little new gameplay ideas, but some really nice platforming sections. The boss was crap compared to chapter 1, mind you.

My only real complaints are sometimes the camera can pull out a bit too far or pan a bit too late so you can barely see where you're jumping. There's maybe too many levels as well, actually, it's like they've decided it needs 100 levels before they made them and a lot of stuff is just reused.

Other than that, I really like it for some old school platforming stuff. Definitely worth the 800 points.

I hate when games use hardness to pad themselves out. Its exactly the point you make Ben that if the game were easier youd be bored, so they make it hard to complete rather than changing stuff so you dont get bored.

Despite the high scores from lots of places I didnt get this and im quite glad because I think id just not play on it much and regret spending the points, its good to see this kind of thing on XBLA but id rather play Marvel Vs Capcom or that robot one, shadow complex or something.

Moan moan moan, out.

Dont misunderstand me though, I think it needs to be hard for it to be fun, not that the mechanic itself isnt fun.

I'm surprised you havent found it to be a bit T&E David because you're far enough in. It was about the point where I had to chain together exploding barrels and beat rising coolant, choosing which direction to explode in and which ledge to grab etc seemed to be something that needed to be learnt. Mind you there are points I've done first go even though I know they're supposed to be hard.

I do aree with you about that camera, and I sometimes lose splosion man too (when the screen zooms out) in amongst the other explosions

Sadly, I think I'm stuck on the first boss. :(

I can get 3 missiles to hit him and then he fires his laser as the platforms come down the side. It's a bit hit and miss whether I avoid his laser, do I have to stand in one spot or do I have to move as it swings round? I think the second time it comes, I have to stand further back but I'm not sure. That's as far as I can get.

Sadly, I think I'm stuck on the first boss. :(

I can get 3 missiles to hit him and then he fires his laser as the platforms come down the side. It's a bit hit and miss whether I avoid his laser, do I have to stand in one spot or do I have to move as it swings round? I think the second time it comes, I have to stand further back but I'm not sure. That's as far as I can get.

You're supposed to splode off the walls while his laser fires and reach his head then splode again next to his head.

Not boasting (well maybe a little), but i didnt struggle on that first boss at all. I was expecting a knightmare after reading this thread but i nearly did it first go, inevitably after doing really well the first time i fucked up on the second and third, got flicked on the fourth but did it after that no worries. Actually 5 goes makes me sound shit but it only took about 15 mins overall.

Are there any more bosses?