passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

'Splosion Man [XBLA]

David

yep :D There's a bit where I fall off a ledge and roll onto a platform, but luckily it looks deliberate like I'm some sort of gaming god

I'm going to do higher quality next time, this was better than the Excitebots one, but given the various compressions it has to go through I reckon i can afford to make the file bigger. Also next time I'm properly going to write a script and stick to it, rather than bullet points than end up being a but convoluted

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USB thing from amazon (cant remember what it's called now). The default was stupidly big file sizes, though not as HD as you'd think, but it seems to have set itself to a smaller size now. It's really easy to use so long as you've got another program (moviemaker) to edit the videos togather, as the software it comes with is just to make a digital copy

Yes, or at least a very similar looking one. Seems pretty cheap but it works. You get nothing in the way of instruction either, and it hates pal 60 (you have to run it as some sort of ntsc thing) and non of the resolutions it picks are quite right.

What you need though is a way to play as you record, it shows you an image on screen but there's about half a seconds lag, so it's best to have it coming off your tv (I've got it coming out of my scart spliter, so i can play 360/ps3 on my monitor while recording.

I think the games good for what it's worth, Sly is just wrong

I completed chapter 2, and really it wasn't that hard. Just a bit more than the end of chapter 1.

I did regularly stop and take a break if I felt stuck on something. I would always pass that point and the next couple of levels relatively easily next time I tried. I just went through the last 5 or 6 stages and the level 2 boss in one sitting.

I think chapter 3 really suffers from the reusing of ideas (i dont mean that as a criticism as such), the difficulty isnt as severe if you know how to do the section.

Any way I've done a video review for this. This time though I've done 2 types, one is flash so it works on PS3 and Wii and there's a higher quality

video

That was a good review man, pretty much summed it all up. You said maybe for your next review you'd keep to a script, but you sound more natural talking from bullet points. Good effort man, really good i think.

Aye, good reveiw but stop the uurrmmm-ing.

I disagree with where you say the game's trial and error gameplay is its appeal because I think we've come to a point where you can make a challenging game without all that shit (Sonics simple roll attack made much of its levels much less trial and error-y, a simple mechanic), but maybe its not people like me 'Splosion Man is geared towards.

Good points well made though. :)

You just said they werent good points! :angry:

Thanks though, and yes I will stop the umming, but its the price of not reading from a script, which illdog wants me to keep not doing. Next one's going to be Shatter, which is very pretty so i really will do a good quality version

[/thread derailed]

Finished now. That ending was a bit WTF!?! The songs at the end were terrible too. I liked how it disencouraged you to do hardcore mode, I for one wont be doing it. I wouldn't mind seeing the co-op levels through, but I doubt it can be done because of how shit the lag is. I had really high hopes for this game since I first saw it, I guess the hype didn't deliver, as I thought it was OK at best.

I found that taking a break eased things.

I've found this.

I've been doing a few levels at once and then taking a break for a few days. I'm near the end of world 2 now. I still haven't found anything that I'd describe as evil, it's all been pretty fair so far.

I played the last 10 levels last night, and got up to the chapter 3 boss. I left it there because I was tired and kept misreading which animation meant he was going to punch the glass, and which meant he was going to punch the centre platform. I can see it being a challenge, but once I've got those telegraphed moves worked out, it's just a matter of execution.

From listening to people talk about it on podcasts, and reading comments from various places, I was expecting to find it much harder than I did. That's not to say it isn't challenging, it certainly is, and I got offered the Way of The Coward more times than I can count.

But I never found it particularly unfair, and very rarely did I not know what to do to get through a section. Failure was more often than not due to a mistake, or failure to mentally process what was coming up quick enough.

I went back through and collected all the cakes today (well. yesterday now, I suppose) :D a couple of them are really tricky. I also did a bit of 2 player co-op over live.

It was so much fun, and worked flawlessly. We didn't encounter any lag people seem to have had problems with just after release.

Finished this this morning before work. Altho still frustrating in places i quite enjoyed the last few levels. The end boss was a bit of a pain in the arse, wasnt sure what to do at first so i died a billion times finding out. The in which he saw defeat everything seemd to go my way, everything lined up just so and thus the credits rolled.

Ultimately i was left feeling frustrated by the game, i always felt it had no room for errors but demanded them so that you may progress. Whilst i enjoyed a level once i had it down it wasnt enough to make up for the annoyance that led to it. The camera zoom out was a constant annoyance as Splosion Man didnt stand out enough and even after 50 levels i couldnt always work out how far an individual Splosion may take me. And dont get me started on those fucking robots... Luckily Splosion Man is a funny little fucker and rescueing The Maw was a great touch, plus the fact the the game is addictive (and like some i found i enjoyed it more in small bursts). Still, needlesly irritating.

Anyone not tried the multi who fancy's a go?

EDIT: Anyone seen Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends? Splosion reminds me of Cheese. Alot.

I haven't touched the multi at all, you wanna give it a bash?

I'm currently going back through getting better times and finding the cakes I missed. I've got everything up to the first half of world 2 and it's been a piece of piss so far, it really isn't anywhere near as tough as people make out. Ok, world 3 gets pretty hard but the game is easily completable, whereas something like N+ is genuinely close to impossible at times.

People moan that games are too easy or too casual and then they moan that this is too hard. <_<