passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Secret of Monkey Island

stoobie

After waiting over two hours for this to download I had a quick go on it last night. The updated graphics are all very nice but I dont think they look like how I expected the characters to look if you see what I mean. I think LeChuck is the worse for this - he doesnt look anything like the VGA version. The voice soundtrack is OK so far - Ive never played a talkie version of it before (was there one?) but so far there are no shit voice actors. Guybrush isnt how I expected him to sound but its not bad at all.

The transition between HD and VGA is brilliant tho - all you do is press the back button and it immediatley switches between the two - stopping or starting the voice acting and disolving the graphics into each other. Its nice to do it every now and then to see what everything looks like in both styles.

The new interface is a bit clumsy. You have to press the left trigger to bring up the commands menu - or press a direction on the crappy d-pad and your inventory is the right trigger (i think thats the right way round). I much prefer playing it on the old style with the commands along the bottom and the inventory on display. To combine items in the new style you have to open the inventory, click the item, then open the inventory again - a bit faffy I think. There may be another way to do it but I didnt read the instructions :)

As for the game - its the exactly the same. Although I do seem to have forgotten how to solve all the puzzles!

I downloaded the 360 trial, but decided to buy the PC version. I don't think the hi-res Guybrush is very good, especially when seen front on. He just looks utterly gormless, and what the hell is that on his head? I have to say the Tales of Monkey Island version of him looks much better.

It took quite a while to get all the 1's and 0's down the Inter-tron, so I didn't really have much time to try it out, I just got as far as talking to all the pirates in the Scumm Bar. The difference between the pirate's faces in the new version and the classic version was pretty funny.

should i get the 360 version or should i pick it up on steam (is it on stream?) instead?

I've got a feeling this would be better played on PC.

that's a good point, i suspect your right, i forgot it was on pc too and bought it last night on the 360 but didn't get chance to try it. still £5.71 isn't bad, how much is it on pc?

should i get the 360 version or should i pick it up on steam (is it on stream?) instead?

that's a good point, i suspect your right, i forgot it was on pc too and bought it last night on the 360 but didn't get chance to try it. still £5.71 isn't bad, how much is it on pc?

$9.99 so...£5.99?

I'm going to finish Indy FoA, and start and finish The Dig then buy this on the PC i reckon. Point and Click FTW!

$9.99 so...£5.99?

I'm going to finish Indy FoA, and start and finish The Dig then buy this on the PC i reckon. Point and Click FTW!

£6.99, just checked.

I had a quick go on this before work yesterday and I really like the new style. It's a bit of shame that it isn't completely full-screen though. It's good to have full voice acting now, too.

and what the hell is that on his head?

His new hair is crap isnt it. Guybrush used to be a cool sprite but now he looks really nerdy. I suppose thats more in line with what he is meant to be.

I turned on my 360 last night to download the trial of this and the trial of the shitty cycling game and I accidentally pressed "buy" instead of trial. Ooops, oh well I was gonna buy it anyway. Luckily, I was very careful with the other one.

played some of this last night, switching back to the original graphics is a shock, i didn't realise how old it was :blink: got a bit stuck early on, which i guess i was expecting, the hint system seems to work pretty well, giving you a more detailed clue each time you use it, although while working on what the hints were telling me - messing around i randomly used

carrot cake with a barrel and got a file

which i needed for a completely different part of the quest so, unless someone tells you to do that later, it's pretty stupid. it is funny though which makes up for any annoyances so far :)

I've never played this game before! Or any of them, I think I watched a mate play this or one of the Monkey Island games back in the day so I know the sense of humour and puzzle style but never actually sat down and played it myself.

I only did the first few minutes last night, talking to a pirate in the "SCUMM bar" ( :rolleyes: ), and I spent all my time switching between the old and new looks, because I can't decide which I prefer. The old is really charming to look at and has the subtitles which helps when you're playing it late at night, but the voice acting on the new is good and I prefer the newer gameplay system which is context sensitive, rather than manually change the verb yourself.

Even still, the new graphics are gorgeous, and when you flick between them you can see how much work they did as it's been made completely from scratch and the backgrounds are stunning and then you go back to the old one and it's just a distant moon in an empty sky.

I concur. I've been flicking between the two as I do love the old graphics and then seeing how things have changed. The voice acting is excellent though, better than most full-price games, so I've been sticking to the new updated graphics mostly.

I put some more time into this last night and thank god for the hint system or I'd be right royally fucked.

How exactly was I meant to work out that to get rid of the dogs I'd have to steal the meat from the kitchen, pick the yellow flowers from the part of the island which is less than obvious that it exists, and then combine them? The meat bit I can see, but the part where the flowers grow doesn't even show up on your map at first.

I did the insult sword fighting though, that's really good fun. :D

How appropriate, you fight like a cow, etc, etc.

I think I'm pretty much gonna hang on the hint system at all times in order for me to enjoy the story and humour, otherwise I'd be using a guide, or I just wouldn't get anywhere.

Mind you, I've played Discworld and that's just nonsense.

How exactly was I meant to work out that to get rid of the dogs I'd have to steal the meat from the kitchen, pick the yellow flowers from the part of the island which is less than obvious that it exists, and then combine them? The meat bit I can see, but the part where the flowers grow doesn't even show up on your map at first.

i did that by pure luck then - i put the meat in the pot in the kitchen, then put the yellow flower in the pot too, then recovered the meat from the pot and fed it to the dogs - i have no ides why i did it but it worked, although i thought it was cooking it that made it work and not the flower, so errr yeah i'm glad of the hint system too! last time i played was a while ago but i'd just started the insult sword fighting, the training machine is ace.