passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

EDGE 204

retroed

Cover: No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle (bright pink and yellow cover, definitely stands out!). 6 page preview.

Prototype - 8

Arma 2 - 7

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - 7

The Conduit - 4

Battlefield 1943: Pacific - 9

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings - 3

Overlord 2 (360, PS3) - 6

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - 7

Fight Night: Round 4 - 8

Red Faction: Guerrilla - 7

Killing Floor - -6

Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? - 4

Another Code: R - 4

Bonsai Barber - 7

Time Extend: Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap

The Making Of...: Bioforge

Massive E3 round up, around 45 pages.

A couple disappointing scores there for Wii owners, I've heard good things elsewhere about Another Code: R (I'm currently playing through the DS version), and the Conduit is low too. They also say the Wii version of Overlord is a disappointment.

I'll be getting Battlefield 1943: Pacific next week.

Drunky from 1up said the wii version of Overlord is better than the HD version... although he did then give it a lower score on the website :unsure:

I've not played any of those games so obviously aren't in a position to comment directly, but I've heard better things about Prinny

Beyond that all I can do is shrug and say "it's Edge". Shame that their reviews are treated with so much suspicion now

I thought most places would give The Conduit a bit over average scores at the least. what I like in games usually differs to what Edge consider to be good so it hasn't effected whether I'll get it or not, I was sitting on the fence with it anyway.

Drunky from 1up said the wii version of Overlord is better than the HD version... although he did then give it a lower score on the website :unsure:

I've not played any of those games so obviously aren't in a position to comment directly, but I've heard better things about Prinny

Beyond that all I can do is shrug and say "it's Edge". Shame that their reviews are treated with so much suspicion now

I really don't understand why they wouldn't like Prinny, it has all that niche "hardcore gamers" only stuff that EDGE normally love.

can someone insert my generic EDGE review response in here please.

In response to Jimbo's EDGE review response can somebody insert my response.

in addition to that:

Edge, meh.

EDIT: thanks ed for putting this up.

No probs. It's a good issue this month, E3 round up is brilliant.

Also, the No More Heroes 2 funky cover is for subscribers only. Shop copies are a generic cover with the new gaming stuff, Natal, Vitality Sensor (lol), PSP Go, etc.

iirc that prinny game got quite a low score on teletext too.

....it wasn't too bad actually:

http://www.teletext.co.uk/gamecentral/feat...inny+(PSP).aspx

This though:

IN SHORT: An almost heroic debut for the explosive penguins, spoilt only by a foolishly inflexible control system.

I don't really understand, its a Ghosts N Goblins clone, which itself doesn't have a very flexible control system, and with that in mind I feel GameCentral (and without reading their review, EDGE too) have completely missed the point.

Here's what I wrote about it:

Dood! It's a familiar cry for Nippon Ichi fans, it's the cry of the Prinny, a penguin like demon with wings from the Underworld, servants of Etna, character from the highly popular Disgaea series, and its these Prinnies that are the central role of Prinny! Can I Really Be A Hero? (if you hadn't of already guessed from the title of the game...).

But unlike the series of games they are most famous for appearing in, Prinny!... isn't a isometric strategy RPG. In fact it goes back to the old-skool, to a world filled with side scrolling brawlers and plays a gameplay tribute to one of the toughest and most fondly remembered legends of the side scrolling action genre, Capcom's Ghouls 'n' Ghosts/Ghosts 'n' Goblins, and in this respect it pays the perfect tribute in being a fantastic modern example of that genre whilst still having its own spin and the familiar Disgaea character.

There's only subtle differences between Prinny! and GnG though, on its most difficult setting (out of a choice of two) any hit on a Prinny results in instant death, the twist being that you have 1,000 Prinnies with which to complete the game, sounds easy, ja? Well, it isn't. You see, in typical GnG tradition, Prinny! Can I Really Be A Hero is absolutely solid, but not in a negative way, each time you attempt a level you feel yourself improve, it might only be by a minute amount but its enough reward to push you on, however it is highly dangerous that Nippon Ichi have decided to develop this for a piece of kit thats not hardwired to something and is pretty damn expensive, lucky for you then that you may just end up playing it in a padded cell before you finish it.

As you'd expect from Nippon Ichi, the game carries on Disgaea's tradition of being laugh out loud funny whilst also being beautifully presented. The sprites here are amongst some of the best I've seen in a long while, while the facial expressions of the characters, and the lines delivered in the dialog provide plenty of entertainment, and any fan of Nippon Ichi or the aforementioned Capcom series won't go far wrong in picking this up for a blast, worth investing in a PSP for.