passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gregory Horror Show

Hendo

Lent this off Ben a few weeks ago and just started it today.

It starts off with a man's and woman's voice speaking the same phrase until you choose your character name and then male or female and then (in my case) the man's voice takes over.

You've been granted a body by Death in order that you go to the Gregory Hotel and find the lost souls and bring them back to him when you sleep, through your dreams.

It's basically a 3rd person survival horror with elements of stealth as you creep round the hotel, looking through the keyholes on the guests as you try to figure out what their weakpoints are so you can steal the souls that they possess. I think it's more souls that they have rather than their own souls.

So far I've done the first two. The first was super easy as it's a basic training mission but the second took a while to figure out.

I really dig the art style and humour, and it's especially aged well because of the style.

Here's the first bit of the game to give you an idea:

Incase it hasnt been made clear in the past, i think this is one of the greatest games on the PS2, its a real experience that stayed with me for quite a while. Its really different to anything ive played before, its dark and gritty but manages to be humorous. The characters are insanely evil and when they're chasing after you i always shit my pants.

Like Hendo says, the aim is basically to steal souls the other guests possess and this involves stalking them and learning their daily routine, then picking the ideal oppertunity to pinch your prize. The game combines a little bit of exploration, a little bit of stealth and a little bit of action but doesnt come across as one of these games thats sets out to mix genres as its 'thing', i always felt what i was doing was necasary to complete the task at hand.

Hmmm, i want to play this again now, curse you Hendo.

Incase it hasnt been made clear in the past, i think this is one of the greatest games on the PS2, its a real experience that stayed with me for quite a while. Its really different to anything ive played before, its dark and gritty but manages to be humorous. The characters are insanely evil and when they're chasing after you i always shit my pants.

Like Hendo says, the aim is basically to steal souls the other guests possess and this involves stalking them and learning their daily routine, then picking the ideal oppertunity to pinch your prize. The game combines a little bit of exploration, a little bit of stealth and a little bit of action but doesnt come across as one of these games thats sets out to mix genres as its 'thing', i always felt what i was doing was necasary to complete the task at hand.

Word for word.

GHS got in my top 10 games when we listed them a couple of years back. I'd liken it to Touch Detective in it's subtle (or not so subtle) sideways counter look at the world

played this ages ago, i really liked its style but got a bit bored following people round to find weaknesses (i think i might have just been useless) so kept resorting to a guide, which in turn made it feel a bit pointless, so i sort of ruined it for myself and gave up about half way through :unsure:

I completed it earlier this year, after it had been sitting untouched in my collection for quite some time.

It surprised me, it was so much better than I was expecting. It's stylish and entertaining and there's very little else like it. In many ways I'm actually surprised it got released outside of Japan at all, but I'm glad it did.

The way it juxtaposes the cute visual style of the game with the actually pretty dark atmosphere of the house and it's residents was really impressive. 'Lost Doll' in particular is surprisingly disturbing.

I played this a few years ago, although I didn't get incredibly far into it. It's proper freaky though, especially that nurse with the mahoosive syringe. :o If I ever get round to setting my PStwo up in the bedroom, I'll give it another go after playing ICO.

I just finished the first night, so have done the first 3 guests.

I have to admit that I had to use a guide to steer me towards what I had to do for the 3rd as I didn't think it was obvious what I had to do.

The only real downside so far is that you feel pressured with the time limit which is rarely a good idea, especially when it's a game where you spend your time spying on people, waiting for the right time to strike and all that.

I started this back up last night and got proper annoyed at it as I died (or lost my mind) and turned off the machine.

I could tell Lost Doll was the next soul to go after but I couldn't figure out what to do (because of how she looks, I figured I'd need a mirror but I was wrong), so I went to Gamefaqs, followed what the guide told me and she still attacked me even though I had

her doll

in my hand.

I also kept getting attacked by various hotel guests and that time limit isn't looking any better of a gameplay mechanic.

I would argue that if you came to this game later after hearing about it being raved about, or if it was a more mainstream hyped up title, then yeah, you would have a problem with it.

The time mechanic is completely unnecessary - only there to extend the life of the game, even though it is at odds with wanting you to take your time investigating different rooms to find clues to the puzzles.

Funnily enough I was trying to read books last night, I tried in my room but it wouldn't let me read them, and I tried by pressing Start and finding them in my inventory and no dice.

I can't remember, don't you have to be at the desk to read a book?