passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Shmup Thread

spatular

radilgy noa massive on the 360 arrived the other day, i was trying to find the tate settings but there isn't any because it was on a non-tated screen in the arcades. doh.

played it a bit last night, started off not liking it, there's too much stuff going on to dodge coming from all angles, even quite early on, then i realised you need to use the guard barrier thing that recharges when you do stuff, like use it to cancel bullets, you can use the guard barrier and completely recharge it while you're using it, then use it again straight away - this gives a score multiplier that gets bigger each time, but also each time you consecutively use it without a gap it gets harder to recharge, this is quite a clever system i thought, was quite enjoying it then, but then realising that the main way to play is knowing when to use the guard barrier (it might be called abs? i'm calling it guard barrier because it looks a bit like the guard barrier in espgaluda) i prefer just dodging stuff, and don't get me wrong you can't use the guard barrier all the time so you do have to dodge stuff, lots of stuff, coming from all angles, sometimes from stuff that looks more like scenery. not enjoying it a massive amount anyway.

also accidently picking up the red X weapon is a disaster.

edit - also set hype levels to maximum for Guwange next week on xbla :D

Mushihimesama Futari is getting a Platinum re-release next week! After playing it at mate's a little while ago, I will be keeping my fingers crossed that this version is also gonna be region-free & that Play-Asia keep it priced around the £20 mark... If so, it'll be mine!

There's also a good chance that this version will contain all the bonus stuff on the disc instead of DLC :)

Mushihimesama Futari is getting a Platinum re-release next week! After playing it at mate's a little while ago, I will be keeping my fingers crossed that this version is also gonna be region-free & that Play-Asia keep it priced around the £20 mark... If so, it'll be mine!

There's also a good chance that this version will contain all the bonus stuff on the disc instead of DLC :)

http://www.play-asia.com/Mushihimesama_Futari_Ver_1.5_Platinum_Collection/paOS-13-71-br-49-en-70-3yu5.html

region free :D

only found out because of the shmups forum:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29164&start=1410

Also Guwange on XBLA today :D

Mushi = ORDERED!!! :D

Oh man, really sorry, i assumed play-asia had checked it, which they may have done, but it's all a bit up in the air at the moment, apparently the cave facebook page says it's not region free, so you might want to cancel the order and wait for confirmation either way :unsure:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29164&start=1410

Mushi = CANCELLED!!! :(

good job canceling - better safe than sorry and whatnot, there is still hope - that link i posted to the shmups forum thread is getting pretty funny, apparently cave now posted on facebook that they aren't actually sure if it's region free or not :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

^ did it get reduced here? ~£5 for 3 games is a bargain, i thought they were pretty good too. didn't play them much mind.

loads of exciting shmup/cave news today, all info from the shmup forum:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32742&start=360

dodonpachi daifukkatsu black label dlc announced for "02/03/11" (not sure if that's feb or march) - 1200 points, and it's getting an add on disk release with an extra arrange mode that's based on ketsui!!!11

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32718&start=60

and the pink sweets/muchi muchi pork double pack has a release date 24/2/11 :)

To be honest, I don't know why they don't just release these badboys on XBLA (or even PSN). I can't see them being huge in terms of filesize, and they'd probably reach a wider audience...

I've always wondered that as well. I can only imagine its some odd stigma associated with download titles not being "proper games".

To be honest, I don't know why they don't just release these badboys on XBLA (or even PSN). I can't see them being huge in terms of filesize, and they'd probably reach a wider audience...

I've always wondered that as well. I can only imagine its some odd stigma associated with download titles not being "proper games".

people discuss this all the time on the shmups forum, fans will buy them regardless so they'll probably make more selling them at £50 a time (only that high because of the weak pound) than £7, but then like Rob says they aren't expanding their market like that. they have given it a go with Guwange on XBLA so i guess we'll see more on XBLA if that sells well. i've been trying to get everyone i know to buy it but only think i've persuaded 2 people who wouldn't have bought it anyway to get it, which considering imo it's one of the best games on XBLA, is quite a poor result. also over here these games aren't really considered worthy of full retail releases but i guess they are deemed worthy in Japan, where their main market is, which would explain the full disk releases. i deem them worthy of disk based release because i usually spend more time playing them than i do most other games. still think i'd prefer they were XBLA as they'd be easier/cheaper to get hold of, although in the distant future the disk copies could be a good thing.

either way the current situation is a miracle compared to no ports at all a few years back.