passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Shmup Thread

spatular

Whooo, nice work on giving it a go guys :D

I picked up Ikaruga yesterday. I thought the first level was fucking solid. Then I played the intro to the second level and I cried at the difficulty of it all. I will stick to Parodius on the Saturn for my shmups I think. :(

the start of the second level is pretty tricky, i find it's best to stick to one colour and move from side to side taking out the enemies before they get near the middle, when you go to the edge watch out for enemies from the bottom of the screen too. after that bit when some baddies circle round you it's best to kill them slowly to avoid the next, much harder, pattern. like illdog says it'll get easier with practice, also worth pointing out that it's best to start off on easy mode, it's still far from easy but you don't need to worry about when you kill anemies like you do in normal mode. watching some of the replays will help too :)

i brought Ikaruga last night when i got home after playing it some more over the weekend, Love it, so intense but when you fuck up it feels like it was your fault.

Tried playing it with the controler, but i find it really awkard for some reason, so i've brought this

633682218844263769.jpg

With a bit of tinkering it'll work on PC as well.

Tried playing it with the controler, but i find it really awkard for some reason

Yep, the 360 pad is horrible for ikaruga imo. I think i'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a street fighter pad (havent the space or the money for a stick)

the stick is £47 of amazon

I'm glad I got my EX2 VF5 edition in Gamestation when it was £19.99. :ph34r:

*shakes fist*

whats it like anyway, some amazon reviews say it looses sensitivity after a while cause the buttons are soldered directly on to the board instead of connecting via a wire.

that stick looks pretty cool Jimbo! should work on a pc no problem. let us know how you get on with it. i've tried various sticks but never do as well as with a pad.

i don't like the streetfighter pads for shooters (great for fighters mind), prefer the standard one, but maybe that's just because i'm used to it. i tried playing deathsmiles for a while with the streetfighter pad and started to think it was ok and i'd gotten used to it, but then tried it with dodonpachi doj, which is much harder and requires much more precise movement and i was finding it difficult and was blaming the pad for a lot of deaths so ended up going back to the standard 360 pad, which is still not ideal, i'd prefer a saturn pad any day. maybe i just need to stick at it with the streetfighter pad a bit more. as it's probably dependent on what your used to rather than what's better as there's a dude on the smups forum who has unbelievable scores on dodonpachi using a keyboard and someone else who uses a standard ps2 pad.

Ive spent alot of time in the past couple of days on Ikaruga. Even after extended play its still very hard, but there are slight signs of improvement in my gameplay and im finally down with the chain scoring system. I even managed to get an A rank in the first chapter which i was extremely chuffed with, it took me nearly 4 hours and just as the achievement popped up, Spatular appeared online so i had to tell him even tho he's pretty awesome at this game.

Some of the downloads are utterly unbelievable, anyone who owns this game needs to hit the leaderboards and download the No 1 entries on each level and see how well this game can be played - fucking jaw dropping. Seriously tho, the time those players must have spent getting that good...

See now im down with the polarity's and killing enemies in three's im seeing this game in a whole new light. What at first appeared to be a mess of black and white bullets and ships is actually an incredible mathematical playing field which hooks into your soul and MAKES you want to get A grades or higher on every level.

And Spatular dude, i cant believe you've done a 1cc in this, hats off man.

it is almost like a puzzle game as much as it is a shooter. I'd second Mr Dog on the replays, worth the 800 points alone. Makes you approach the game in a totally different way as well. I think instead of trying to play all the levels, i'm going to work on it a level at a time.

Going to film some stuff with the Hori stick later running MAME playing some barmy shooters (very badly)

nice work on the A rank illdog, great to see people talking in here, makes me want to go play a shooter of some sort :D

how did you go on using the arcade stick with mame Jimbo? i thought it would work no problem as i used to use a wired 360 pad for mame, but i tried my arcade stick recently and had problems, ended up just using joy2key to sort it out which works fine but isn't ideal.

yeah it does work, but not natively. I had to download XBCD and faf about with some drivers and a .ini files to get it to map correctly. The stick works and the colour face buttons work but not the LT/RT buttons and the start/back/LB/RB buttons, or the guide button. So not perfect i guess.

With a bit of work using XBCD you could probably re map the buttons so something can be used to insert coin, player one start etc etc. Overall i would say its worth the cost, less than £50 for something that is excellent for the 360 and pretty decent for the PC.

• 2 weeks later...

every year the shmup forum runs a tournament, anyone can enter and it's usually good fun, works similarly to the wii sports tournies on here but it's team based.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27515

if a few people are interested we could even enter our own team, although probably no one's interested but it's worth a try :)

i'd be up for that dude. What do i need?

i brought Ikaruga last night when i got home after playing it some more over the weekend, Love it, so intense but when you fuck up it feels like it was your fault.

Tried playing it with the controler, but i find it really awkard for some reason, so i've brought this

633682218844263769.jpg

With a bit of tinkering it'll work on PC as well.

Holy crap man, £50?! Ive been looking around for 2 months now and i dnt wna spend over £40 for the 8 button layout.

i'd be up for that dude. What do i need?

not much really, usually all the games will be playable in mame. to register you just need to reply in that thread, or if you want to play but don't want to sign up to the forum i think i can register you for the tourny? i signed up with no team this year so i'd just get put in a random team, if you want in we should try and get on the same team, maybe the underdogs, as anyone can sign up for that team and it's the one i've been in previously - what says you Jimbo?