passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dead Space

HandsomeDead

• 1 year later...

Finally got around to playing this! Finished the first chapter there in exactly an hour.

It seems like Dead Space shares a lot of dna with Mass Effect (and possibly assets?). The sound effects, presentation and voice overs reminded me of Mass Effect. Either way, a big positive! The health display is a great touch.

Looking forward to seeing how scary the game gets. Bring it on! :lol:

Chapter 2 done! Up to two and a half hours in total now. Very smartly designed game - respawning to the point just before you died keeps the game moving forward nicely. Picked up the level 2 suit and the plasma rifle so far. With the intro and setting Mass Effect was the first game that came into my head but you can't play this game and not think of Metroid Prime.

I'm playing it in 2012, it's hard to believe the game came out four years ago...same time as Fallout 3 and only a year after Bioshock and Mass Effect. Man this generation got off to a flying start!

Chapter 2 done! Up to two and a half hours in total now. Very smartly designed game - respawning to the point just before you died keeps the game moving forward nicely. Picked up the level 2 suit and the plasma rifle so far. With the intro and setting Mass Effect was the first game that came into my head but you can't play this game and not think of Metroid Prime.

I'm playing it in 2012, it's hard to believe the game came out four years ago...same time as Fallout 3 and only a year after Bioshock and Mass Effect. Man this generation got off to a flying start!

I reckon you'll be looking at around 15ish hours to do your first run through... take it your playing on normal?.

The game holds up incredibly well looks wise, i recently replayed both games on our new led tv and they both looked stunning.

Yeah, playing on medium. Yeah it looks great, i'm glad i left it until now to play, i didn't have a hdtv back then...

I would've recommended playing it on Hard tbh. It's only when walking around the Ishimura on your last notch of health and precious little ammo, coming face to face with a black necromorph, that you realise the true horror of your situation. Doing the One Gun achievement on Impossible is on another level of what survival horror can be.

My god Dead Space is awesome. I could go on and on about all day. Sci-fi horror is my most favourite thing, and the Dead Space series nails it completely and utterly bar none.

On to chapter four now, loving it. Is it weird to say that this game is a lot of fun? :lol: It just keeps getting better and better.

Is it worth keeping one power node in reserve at all times for the locked doors? (the ones locked by power nodes).

I've bought all the weapons and currently have about 30,000 credits. Should i start splashing credits on power nodes or should i keep it for more expensive stuff that becomes available...

Yeah I had one spare Power Node with me at all times, it's worth it for all the useful stuff you find in those rooms.

I'd recommend going for the "play with only the Plasma Cutter" Achievement/Trophy, had a lot of fun with that. Favourite gun had to be the Ripper though. Getting a necromorph to walk towards me, then tear him limb from limb with a saw blade never got old.

Ah, Dead Space 1, an absolute classic. Shame DS3 seems to piss all that out the window...

Starting chapter five, playtime five hours! Mmmm symmetry.

I wasted a stupid load of ammo on the first brute when he appeared. I had the good sense to use stasis the next time i ran into one. :facepalm:

Two more guns have become available in the shop (the force gun and some energy gun i've forgotten the name of)...i didn't buy them because i have not as yet come across any ammo for them. Does ammo only start appearing after you buy guns? I'm quite fond of the line cutter/plasma rifle/flamethrower/line gun combo...

I don't see how a game like this couldn't be amazing in co-op.

Yep, you only start seeing ammo for guns once you've bought them. The Force Gun if I remember correctly acts like a shotgun, it's useful when you're surrounded by enemies and need to quickly shove them all back. Doesn't dismember though so I used it to buy myself a few seconds while I got another gun out to dismember them.

I don't see how a game like this couldn't be amazing in co-op.

From a gameplay standpoint it would be awesome indeed, the only problem is that it destroys any sense of atmosphere having someone else there with you.

Totally agree with Nag about the Force Gun, hasn't left my inventory over both games and numerous playthroughs. It's an incredible weapon when powered up a bit. When fully upgraded one shot will blow a Necro apart, at the very least a couple of limbs, if you let them get close enough of course :D Definitely worthwhile pumping a load of nodes into it.

I am also playing this, and its always nice to play a good game after pish. Just finished lvl 6, and its all been a fun giggle so far. Quick playthrough to unlock the difficult level and then the horror should start. As someone said 5 pages ago Dead Space = The Thing + Event Horizon + Alien.

10 hours in now, just boarded the ship that crashed into the Ishimura. I don't think i've come across these "black necromorphs" yet... I did encounter one tall slow enemy who i haven't seen before but he died in about three shots so i dunno...

With regards to the addition of co-op, I think that they needed to do something different, im actually really glad that they are churning out new ideas, if it works like some of the parts in DS2 did then that could be cool. Like, you have a partner that can help you but in the meantime you are on your own getting all kinds of fucked up whilst your partner goes off and does their own stuff. I dont see it as having to be like a Halo style co-op, maybe you combine on some great boss fights, but otherwise it could be two people playing solo style gameplay, sometimes combining to help further the gameplay.

The main problem with this would be that if the game play is dependent upon both players being alive, as youd expect, then some of the series 'insta-kill' or near unavoidable deaths might get very annoying. Thats something that I felt very much playing through Gears co-op.

It could work really well, theyve got a good track record and to assume it will just be crap is a little bit harsh considering how much love the games have received, and is still receiving. Having said all that, if it does turn out to be straight co-op then I wouldnt even mind that so much.

10 hours in now, just boarded the ship that crashed into the Ishimura. I don't think i've come across these "black necromorphs" yet... I did encounter one tall slow enemy who i haven't seen before but he died in about three shots so i dunno...

I think by now you would have seen them.... you must just be a natural badass with your Necro killing skills.

I obviously honed my fps skills in Mass Effect. :lol:

On to chapter 10 now, "End of Days", sounds like i'm nearing the end... Chapter 9 was quite scary, probably the creepiest chapter so far i think.