passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Grand Theft Auto IV

retroed

Well the game has won me over and it's the first GTA that I've ever properly enjoyed.

The only downside is I've barely gone off the beaten path and caused devastation and I've stuck to the main missions largely but I'm still only about 26% in! It feels like I've been playing for ever, it's just a bit too big for my tastes.

Good fun though,

Too much value for money? some people are never pleased, go and play your cheggers quiz with five questions until its finished....grumble grumble casual gamer grumble

I've unlocked the second Island over the Bank Hol - mind you I haven't even properly explored the first!! :lol: Unlocking the second island also gives you access to Happiness Island - which yes, has a viewing tower! Love watching the sunset during the early hours out over the harbour - and the water effects are SO realistic! - and when you consider the games size, thats quite an achievement.

I still can't say I'm any more gripped with the story than I was with the last games although Niko is certainly more likeable and the sometimes much improved visuals make the experience so much more enjoyable. 40+ missions in and theres still so much I've yet to see and the game is only 30% complete!

Too much value for money? some people are never pleased, go and play your cheggers quiz with five questions until its finished....grumble grumble casual gamer grumble

You'll never let that lie will you? <_<

I'm stuck on a mission at the moment, it involves deciding on the fate of one of your, um, acquaintances. It also ends with a massive police presence and it's a tough 'un.

This unlocking 2nd island thing, the only main part of the city I haven't been to is the far left island. I don't think it's ever told me I've unlocked any part of the city yet.

The only way it lets you know you can explore the final island iswhen you gat an achievement for 'exploring liberty city' or something like that. Any way when you get it you can go anywhere.

Ive just done a mission that involves nicking a chopper. Boy,its funtrying to land one of those :P

You'll never let that lie will you? <_<

I'm stuck on a mission at the moment, it involves deciding on the fate of one of your, um, acquaintances. It also ends with a massive police presence and it's a tough 'un.

This unlocking 2nd island thing, the only main part of the city I haven't been to is the far left island. I don't think it's ever told me I've unlocked any part of the city yet.

Its not the one where you have to decide to take down either Dwayne or Playboy X? I must admit I took down Playboy X - you also get his rooftop penthouse afterwards! Nice. I was so glad to rid of those flea pits! :lol:

Mind you I did a toughie last night - I had to go to the harbour with Packie to get some money from a warehouse on the quay - thing is you have 3 other acomplices and they seem to run everywhere - I actually had to restart 3 times because I accidentally shot one of them! The boat escape's good thou.

I'm finding keeping my social life up to date something of a chore - specially when you get a call from Roman to go drinking or bowling and he's way off in some far & away location - and getting through the traffic in an hour can be more harder than it seems. If I'm in the mood I often just spawn the Coptor - it gets me across quicker.

Anyone watched the hilarious TV shows? I love that one on CNT "I'm Rich" :lol: You'll also laugh reading up about Burger Shot on the fake net! :lol:

Its not the one where you have to decide to take down either Dwayne or Playboy X? I must admit I took down Playboy X - you also get his rooftop penthouse afterwards! Nice. I was so glad to rid of those flea pits! :lol:

Nah it was after that. I think I've bypassed it now as I turned the game back on a day later and that mission hasn't come up.

I decided on taking out Dwanye. My logic was, he's fresh out of prison and an angry, bitter man. Do I want him around me? Nope.

At the moment I'm roaming around in police cars doing some good old fashioned vigilante missions.

Nah it was after that. I think I've bypassed it now as I turned the game back on a day later and that mission hasn't come up.

I decided on taking out Dwanye. My logic was, he's fresh out of prison and an angry, bitter man. Do I want him around me? Nope.

At the moment I'm roaming around in police cars doing some good old fashioned vigilante missions.

You animal, killing dwayne was the bad thing to do, that guy was trying to go straight, he'd lost his empire and his woman and he'd been completely humbled. Playboy was a dickhead anyway.....

I have been absolutely LOVING the missions with brucie, the dialogue absolutely cracks me up and the missions are alright too, he is a really good character and is a really good source of comedy.

yeah brucie is awesome. once you do the race mission for brucie and he becomes a friend you can ring up to go to races, is there really any point in him anymore? or is that it, no more funny missions or story involving brucie's ridiculous bull shark testosterone fuelled antics?

You animal, killing dwayne was the bad thing to do, that guy was trying to go straight, he'd lost his empire and his woman and he'd been completely humbled. Playboy was a dickhead anyway.....

I have been absolutely LOVING the missions with brucie, the dialogue absolutely cracks me up and the missions are alright too, he is a really good character and is a really good source of comedy.

I actually killed Playboy X as he was quite arrogant saying "I didn't get where I am without killing fuckers like you". To me the result was perfectly clear - and you get his tasty penthouse as a pressie!

I'm on the third Island now - Alderney - so have now unlocked the whole play area. Don't get me started on that Three Leaf Clover mission - talk about angry swears & thrown pads! :lol: Completing that unlocks the last island anyway.

My only hope is that the novelty doesn't wear off, although it is a tad. I've switched off my mobile and am off now exploring, so for now screw the last missions!

I finally picked this up, actually traded some stuff in which is a rarity for me!!

Ive never played a GTA game, ok i lie i played the top down 90's game which was great fun but didn't play the others, well this version is just superb!! ive played only about 3 hours in which im guessin is a tiny amount and im enjoying it, infact its the first game in ages where ive come home from work and just popped the xbox on and played for an hour or two!!

Oh and i got the Xbox version over the PS3 spent ages weighing up the pro's and con's of which version!

I got hold of this yesterday as well, well my awesome girlfriend brought it for me :rolleyes:

Only been playing for about an hour and a half so far, but all is good. There are something i really like about it, and something i'm not so keen on (yet). I'm loving the much darker, serious tone to the game. I know the others covered graphic subject matter, but it was always a bit tongue in cheek, this one seems more serious which i think is a must for the series to survive. I also think the characters are the best the series has produced so far. I love the fact Niko is a reluctant criminal trying to make a new life in the promised land, only to get into the same shit. Obviously i've no idea where the plot is going to go (and i don't want to know until i play it..) but i can envision a Scarface like rise to power, but i'll have to wait and see. The few negs a have with it are with the graphics. It might be because i've not got my telly set right, but everything seems a little foggy and the graphics seem to lack that real next gen punch i've become accustom to, not that they are bad by any stretch of the imagination. Also i'm not sure about the fighting system, seems a little haphazard but once i get some some guns i doubt i'll be using the meat hooks much anyway.

So yeah, glad i got it, looking forward to playing the single player, and also the multiplayer as well.

I got hold of this yesterday as well, well my awesome girlfriend brought it for me :rolleyes:

Only been playing for about an hour and a half so far, but all is good. There are something i really like about it, and something i'm not so keen on (yet). I'm loving the much darker, serious tone to the game. I know the others covered graphic subject matter, but it was always a bit tongue in cheek, this one seems more serious which i think is a must for the series to survive. I also think the characters are the best the series has produced so far. I love the fact Niko is a reluctant criminal trying to make a new life in the promised land, only to get into the same shit. Obviously i've no idea where the plot is going to go (and i don't want to know until i play it..) but i can envision a Scarface like rise to power, but i'll have to wait and see. The few negs a have with it are with the graphics. It might be because i've not got my telly set right, but everything seems a little foggy and the graphics seem to lack that real next gen punch i've become accustom to, not that they are bad by any stretch of the imagination. Also i'm not sure about the fighting system, seems a little haphazard but once i get some some guns i doubt i'll be using the meat hooks much anyway.

So yeah, glad i got it, looking forward to playing the single player, and also the multiplayer as well.

Yeah some of the graphical qualities do look a little "San Andreasy" at times. I don't like the way Niko controls sometimes - like when you turn the stick and he kinda bends sideways! You also can't run when using the mobile, so if the cops are on your tail its a case of "ouch"! :lol: Some mags have said the game feels a little "claustrophobic" and that some of them missed the sense of freedom in San Andreas when you broke out of Los Santos into the countryside. But I've found there is some nice coastal stretches & beaches - specially round Alderney where you can get away from the bustle - the water effects are amazing (specially given the games size) so a walk on the beach makes for a relaxing sjorn.

i thought the country side of San Andreas was lazy and i bit boring IMO, it was just too big.

I've not really touched on the scope of the game yet, only just taking out the girl for bowling, i think she is a rat though....still gonna try and nail her though

The few negs a have with it are with the graphics. It might be because i've not got my telly set right, but everything seems a little foggy and the graphics seem to lack that real next gen punch i've become accustom to, not that they are bad by any stretch of the imagination. Also i'm not sure about the fighting system, seems a little haphazard but once i get some some guns i doubt i'll be using the meat hooks much anyway.

Graphically, I don't think it's the most impressive game I've played this generation but stuff like that doesn't really bother me, but I'm right there with you on the fisticuffs. The gun fights are done really well (bar some times when you're pissed off that the game has chosen your target for you <_< ) but the hand-to-hand is appalling and I always try to make sure I have enough ammo as I can't bare the thought of fighting using the random-mash-your-buttons-and-hope-for-the-best technique that seems to be used here. If anything, the reaction times are way off.

Having said that, it's gonna take a miracle to oust this from game of the year, for me.

The graphics aren't that great, but then they never were in GTA.

Incidentally, I was watching the PS3 version at a friends the other day, and in some ways it does look better. The 360 version has a weird filter going on, which is normally what the PS3 versions of 360 games have.

I really have no idea why.

hmmm that is a mystery... I'm not really bothered by the graphics, they are still good and so long as the characters and plot carries on the way its going i won't even notice.

I'm looking forward to some multi as well if anyone is up for it? Prob tomorrow assuming your not all playing mario kart.

ah ok, i took her out for darts last night, and was gonna try my luck, so to speak, but instead i left it, didn't think she would be that easy. Tonight i'm gonna take her out for a burger, then gonna get some...

who says romance is dead.

I'm just enjoying exploring at the mo - phone switched off - sometimes its just nice just watching the world go by standing on the balcony at the top of PlayboyX's apartment - steam coming out of vents - the twinkle of lights in the skyscrapers. Alderney is very heavy on industry - oil refineries, docks and theres a Prison (the game calls it "a correctional facility"). Its very relaxing finding a nice vantage point during the early hours and watching the sunshine shimmer over the water. Very hypnotic in a way. I also like walking the Promenades on the middle island just watching what people are upto - theres no other interactive city out there so brimming with life. I've also been exploring the railway (subway) and the two interchanges at Easton & Huntington St. The viaducts are fun to explore on a motorbike. I've also tried climbing The Screamer Rollercoaster at the Funfair - a great shame its not running.

Oh, and of all the things you MUST do when exploring is to take a sightseeing trip to the top of the Empire State Building - the view from the top is AWESOME! No other view in the game (apart from flying) give you such a sense of empowerment.