passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mario Kart Wii

Jimboxy

there are loads of cases for it, a few posts up like leeray said, there are just too many stupid fucking items, its always been something that haters of the series have picked on but for the first proper time I really agree that there are too many items. There are too many waving your arms (which obviously = fun!!) moments to get constant boost, and this one more than any of the previous versions has that stupid thing whereby you can absolutely guarantee that on the final corner before the finish you will be hit by some kind of cuntish item, and overtaken just when the extra points would have assured victory on the third race. The rubber band coding is rediculous and makes it absolutely pointless to be in first. Again, Im not saying that this is anything new, its always been a feature of mario kart, but in previous versions its been well balanced somewhere between cheeky and cheaty but in the Wii version of the game its lost the balance to where its got to the point where you can guarantee that you will be fucked over and end up in fifth, its as if its scripted.

Its a bit too frantic for my taste, and I feel that this is where its been toned down for the casual gamers, not to mention the way its been marketed. The fact that snaking has been taken out (which i hated anyway) also levels the playing field between the hardened karter and casuals.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't really buy the whole Mario Kart has gone casual argument TBH.

While I don't doubt Nintendo have catered for the casual market a lot more recently, I just don't see what about Mario Kart has been changed to favour casuals? The wheel's perhaps it, but they still give you the option.

I don't think they've toned down the difficulty either, 150cc on the later tracks is still an absolute bitch, and any so called casual gamer that can get round Rainbow Road without a hitch is awesome.

So yeah, I just don't buy the dumbing down argument at all unless someone actually makes a case for it.

Agreed.

On the surface, like almost all Wii games so far, its very accessable to everyone. But there is a depth for veteran MK players too. Anyone who says that it is dumbed down needs to proove so on the track.

I've noticed a trend here - everyone that is ready to give up on it hasn't played much online!

Like Ed says in the GTM #69 thread, I read every word of the MK Wii review and I agree with it all (bar them saying it doesn't look any better than the Cube one). The single player is dull in 50cc, you're forced to using bikes in 100cc and then it gets the right speed and choice of vehicle in 150cc but the AI is just cheating bastards! Plus, the lack of Mission Mode or some decent offline challenges is baffling.....

....until you take it online! Seriously, the Time Trials are fun enough by adding a load of people to your friends list (I've got about 20 now) and downloading their ghosts and trying to beat them. Then you go online with the best lobby system yet used (maybe bar Clubhouse Classics with its pictochat goodness) and playing real people in a 12 man/woman race really evens things out.

Maybe it's because I wasn't super-hyped for it, but I'm very impressed with it and it's been a struggle to play anything else. Though I completely agree with the single player, I still can't get the motivation to finish 150cc, let alone get some star ratings!

Seriously, before you guys consider trading it in, add all the friend codes in the list and let's play some matches first. :)

Yeah really, My only real gripe lies with the single player at the moment. I haven't played enough online to form an opinion on that yet. But I have to say, the game is geared to helping the casuals. It is. There is no denying that fact, whether you like it or not, the inclusion of the blue shell that you cannot ever get away from now, is only an attempt to level the playing field and please those, who simply haven't put in the time and effort into playing the game. I'm sure online will be different (well I hope anyway). But playing single player is a chore...

... Ripping the track apart for the first 2 and a half laps in first with some distance...

... Bang. Blue shell, Lightning, POW, Red shell, Bullet bill, Mega Mushroom...

... Last.

OK, the amount of items can be unfair, but it is in no way as bad as leeray makes it to be IMO.

I've certainly never been pummeled that much, and rarely are made last due to an unexpected blue shell.

I do think the blue shell should be removed though, it is stupendously annoying, but from what I've noticed while playing, is that these items don't really help bad players that much. If you can't drive the karts, you can't really win unless you get lucky.

I don't think they should be removed but possibly a way of getting away with being bombed by them put in.

I don't know what, but something either very skillful or very lucky to stop you from getting hit. Maybe, collect 3 item blocks in a row without using them once you're in first place? As soon as you drop down to second it resets, but if you have picked up 3 items in first place you can fire off a neutraliser or something.

I don't know, I'm very tired. :(

I have to say that I completely agree with whats Leeray says, the amount of times of ended up anihilating the entire pack until the last half lap and then ended up in 5th or 6th because of the recovery times, there is no merit in actually being first, the best way to win is to just drive slowly and then use the items, which is exactly what a five year old would do. I know im only really argueing, and i dont actually dislike the game, its just not as good as I hoped it would be, and part of thats my high expectations, and part of that is the slight change in focus.

The games that ive played against humans have been alright though, so fair play to that side of it.

Sambob and I are the same.

OK I was exaggerating a little when I said 'last'... What I mean though, is I actually feel robbed the majority of the time. Simply put, this game is unbalanced. I do enjoy the new tracks though, and I shall be playing online.

But, I have to say I am disappointed with the game, it really does seem like the worst one of them all.

It's a real shame Nintendo won't just add an online feature to the virtual console 'Super Mario Kart'.

I wasnt going to post in here and deleted what i was going to write before in fear of starting an arguement, but as you've all started :)

I havent played the new one so i cant side with either side on how good it is, but I will say that all the criticism could have been levelled at all the Mario Karts, bar maybe the first (and the GBA one by default). The single player has always been a bit arse and it's always been more about casuals than teh hardcore(zxxxzzzxz). Multi has always been where it's at and it's never been all that serious, it's Mario in a kart after all.

Still hope you all enjoy it and have a smashing time, unless you dont like it then i hope you trade it for something you enjoy more :)

I think I may have unlocked my ultimate driver/bike combination!

Care to share?

I've only got one gold medal left to get and then I'm done with single player. Unfortunately, it's the one with Rainbow Road in it so that may never happen.

I wanted this to be great, and i hate to say its not.....

Played last night with mates and yep good fun, beer drinking mario karting just as good as any other multiplayer game can't argue with it.

But today was playing single player and its just too busy, how i can go from 1st to 12th, 20m from the finish line is downright annoying and really wound me up!!!

Yep the wheel is challenging and fun, but for me its not as good as it could of been, i hate to say i actually prefer MK:DD the DS version was a simpler game but was fun and i know ive not played the game online yet so im hoping for the game to get better, but i am bitterly disappointed this should of been great ah well thats just my thoughts.

The wii being a great idea is becoming for me (and im sorry for saying this) a disappointment, i hope Smash Bros can reclaim the wii's status under the tele.

I was a big cube fan, and i am probably the casual gamer most people think about, only a hour here and there to play games, lots of consoles and quick game bursts now and then, but so far the wii has yet to really give me something (except SMG)

There are some very good reasons why Mario Kart got a 6 in both Edge magazine and in Gamesâ„¢. And there are also some very good reasons why Smash Bros. got a 9 in both Edge magazine and in Gamesâ„¢.

Ok, ok, ok. My other half loves this game but the number of times she has sworn at the screen and refused to play due to the amount of blue shells hitting her little head is uncountable on one persons body. It's mental! The game s good but it ain't the best it could have been. I'm still unconvinced of the farness of controller v wheel. I did say before that th wheel is great, which it is, but the controller is a lot easier to race with.

:(

What I hate on the game:

1 - Bikes never seem to go where I want them to.

2 - 50cc is just too damn slow

3 - Rainbow Road is too dificult, especially on bikes

Thinks that really annoy me:

1 - Computer always throws 50 red shells, 2 blue shells, makes you small and stomps on the ground right at the last curve of the race thus making you fall off the track or slide into sand or race and you end in 6th place instead of 1st.

2 - Blue Shells

3 - Never getting the rocket when I'm in the last place of a race except in Rainbow Road where the rocket ends right at a curve and I end up falling off the road

Things I love:

1 - Everything

2 - Turbo through grass or sand and ending up in 1st place

3 - Using green shells or bananas to stop an incoming red shell

How does the online matches on this work?

I notice on the advert that you use a mii,but do you still select a character or do you play as your mii?

You can select either your Mii or a classic Mario character and either a bike or a kart. Its not disimilar to Xbox Live after that, you can just join in a large online race, create a room and invite some mates or join a pla who's already online. Look for the smiley purple faces...