passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

XBL Indie Games

Hendo

Now on youtube for those not able to see it:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Anyone else have Weapon Of Choice?

Yeah, it was the pretty much the first title out on the indie marketplace that I picked up. Last time I played it, I got lost wandering a desert and died in a hallucinatory boss battle against the sun.

I tried out a few trial versions of recently released games the other day:

Decay - part 1 (240 points)

This is a horror/psychological thriller point-and-click adventure pointed out to me by Bob. It's very PS1 in style where the screens are photos or 3D modelled screenshots and you zoom in on points of interest, or press a direction button to view another side of the room, etc.

It has some of the worst written English I've seen in ages (one of the clues is a newspaper article pinned to a wall), so I assume (or hope) it's made by a non native English speaker, or was auto translated. That was the only example that stood out in the trial. I may buy it sometime in the future, unfortunately I've heard it's incredibly short.

HomeSlice & the Zombie Bunnies (80 points)

A twin stick shooter, with added melee elements. It's got a good style, and the isometric angle works well, but it felt a bit shallow. Worth a try though.

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (80 points)

A kind of parody of 8-bit/16-bit JRPGs, with an appealing retro style to it. It's got an interesting combo system to the combat, and a fast levelling system where you chose what power-up to take each time. I liked it, a possible buy.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

BlindGiRL (80 points)

I did buy this one. It's a puzzle/adventure where you have to make your way around pitch black levels. As you make noises, sound waves propagate out and bounce off walls and items to help you find your way around the maze.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I've tried all of those bar BlindGiRL.

I got Breath of Death VII : The Beginning (lol, etc) after seeing it on the latest Independint Charles Show. It's an absolute steal for 80 points, even for people who aren't massively into RPG's like me.

It's made by 2 guys except for the music which is done by a variety of artists and it's really well made.

The script is funny and has references to Resident Evil, Fallout 3, Zelda, Castlevania and probably loads of other games that I didn't notice.

Only problem I have with it is the random battles. :(

I've also been trying out Moon Taxi which is a basic dodge and collect game but the point is more about delivering you radio plays while you play the game.

It throws words at you that the speaker has just spoken (like in that Bob Dylan video) and you have to drive into them and avoid the asteroids.

The Independint Charles Show is actually making me want to spend money on these. I downloaded his recommendations last night to see what all the fuss was about and that. Apart from the Jesus game. Fuck Jesus.

BlindGiRL (80 points)

I did buy this one. It's a puzzle/adventure where you have to make your way around pitch black levels. As you make noises, sound waves propagate out and bounce off walls and items to help you find your way around the maze.

I had a go with the trial and then ponied up for the full thing. I really like it but I'm proper stuck on the 6th note.

It's the levels that introduce the different coloured lines to show you the way, but on the 3rd or 4th level there doesn't seem to be an obviously right exit so it looks like I'm gonna have to randomly pick an exit and fail each time till I get the right one.

BlindGiRL (80 points)

I had a go with the trial and then ponied up for the full thing. I really like it but I'm proper stuck on the 6th note.

It's the levels that introduce the different coloured lines to show you the way, but on the 3rd or 4th level there doesn't seem to be an obviously right exit so it looks like I'm gonna have to randomly pick an exit and fail each time till I get the right one.

I got stuck on there for a bit. I think it's the one where the sound of your footsteps highlight a trail in red, but there are gaps in it, which you have to reveal which is the right way by playing the tune with the A button, and they'll be revealed in green.

I'm not sure if that's the right one, there's red and green lines but there's also red and green ticks and crosses all over the place too.

Oh yeah that one. Every time there's a branch, go towards the tick, following whichever colour path the matches the tick, the X leads you to a dead end room.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm nearing the end of Blind GiRl now, it's getting quite stressful in a weird way by introducing new stuff as you go and then adding new things on top of them. Like the enemies that can't sense you unless you walk loudly, but you can sing all you want and they won't move. Then you get the ones that are the opposite - if you sing to "see" your surroundings then they come a-running.

Bought Breath of Death VII and Along Came A Spider on the recommendation of Charles. It may be an acquired taste comedically, but it does at least actually show some Indie games, whereas before Microsoft just left them to die in a back corner of the marketplace.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Along Came A Spider and it didn't click with me, the traffic one was alright though.

New recommendation:

Apple Jack (80 points)

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Haven't tried it yet, but getting a lot of praise.

It is very good, but gets very hard pretty quick. It's more puzzley than you'd think, though it's more of a platform game than Braid is.

It's very impressive for just (pretty much) the work of one dude.

I bought it since Mr Florence told me so and it is bloody good. I'm not sure about the jumping physics, I do die because of stupid things but it is a bit special.

I like that the levels are named after towns, I'm still in Suffolk but I hope to get to Wales soon enough. Games like this really are like the ones in the 80's, games that are just the result of one persons imagination with no compromise.

Don't know if any of you lot have played the trial of it yet, but Prismatic Solid (80 points) is a pretty kewl shmup that came out on the xbox indie games last week... Whether it's better than 'Shoot 1UP' for that price is another question, but it's worth a look...