passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Grange Hill is dead!

Hendo

The BBC is axing children's TV school drama Grange Hill after 30 years.

CBBC controller Anne Gilchrist said: "The lives of children have changed a great deal since Grange Hill began and we owe it to them to reflect this."

The series began on 8 February 1978 and featured some tough storylines about social issues including drugs and teenage pregnancy over the years.

There will be one more series this year, in which producers want to focus on the younger children of Year Six.

Ms Gilchrist said: "We have to not confuse our own nostalgia for something that we loved for something that children will want nowadays.

"We think we have got a lot of exciting new shows coming up that will please them and challenge them equally as well as Grange Hill did in the past."

Grange Hill's creator Phil Redmond was reportedly unhappy with the strategy and felt the programme was losing its gritty purpose.

"I don't like keeping things going when the point has been lost," he told the Observer recently. "I do now think the point of Grange Hill has been lost, and 30 years is a nice time for it to hang up its mortar board."

The show's most controversial story was in 1986 when Zammo Maguire began taking drugs. It led to the Just Say No campaign and a top 10 single.

But it was not all gloom and doom.

Gwyneth Powell, who played headmistress Mrs McClusky from 1981 until 1991, said: "I don't think Grange Hill was just about issues; it was about characters, there was lots of humour in there and I think it was a very entertaining show.

"Most people watched it for the fun."

It was also a nurturing ground for young talent. Among its stars were Todd Carty, Susan Tully and John Alford.

Jon East, head of CBBC Drama, said: "For 30 years, Grange Hill has become a byword for realistic and contemporary children's drama.

"It's now time to apply what we've learned over the years to some of the new ideas we're exploring."

The BBC has announced a series of new shows to fill the gap.

They include Half Moon Investigations, about wrongdoing in the school playground, and Paradise Cafe, described as a beachside mystery with a supernatural twist.

There will also be We Are Family, following a family who are the house band on a talk show, and Roy, about a cartoon boy marooned in the real world.

In memory

bronson.jpg

_1110452_gh1_150.jpg

Mrs_McClusky.jpg

askkelly_zammo.jpg

t_zammo-royal.jpg

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jCLs0jv_Efk

good ridance (sp? maybe i need to go to some sort of school)

it was better than blue peter, which is and always was fucking tedios, but GH was poorly written and ham fisted. One of the worst moments in tv history was when an epileptic lad decided to play a game called something like "Epileptron 2000", which was just a series of flashing screens. There was also one where 2 kids ran away to scotland and they just happened to bump in to one of their teachers

utter shite

:ohmy:

You have no soul!

You mean to tell me that you can watch the video of Just Say No now and don't feel that it was heartfelt and powerful? Or that it didn't help the anti-drugs movement?

Hmm, actually, you may have a point.

Shin_Seffron wrote:

I just wanted to see somebody finish it.

No actually, i just wanted to see people on it who wernt complete losers!

Was so annoying that no one had the slightest clue what was going on

i saw someone finish it once, they came back in the room with the helmet on, and took it off, then I think they all walked off into amazing cgi background

pickled wrote:

Shin_Seffron wrote:
I just wanted to see somebody finish it.

No actually, i just wanted to see people on it who wernt complete losers!

Was so annoying that no one had the slightest clue what was going on

i saw someone finish it once, they came back in the room with the helmet on, and took it off, then I think they all walked off into amazing cgi background

I remember that, the host gave a big speech as they walked down the road, and i think the next people lasted about 5 minutes