passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rez HD

retroed

This game deserves its own thread. Eurogamer have given it a 10,and so have 1UP.

I've never played Rez before, despite meaning to pick up a copy on PS2 a while back. Thus, I went straight in and bought the full game, without trying the demo beforehand. I was that confident I wouldn't be disappointed.

And I wasn't. I started off with the Travelling mode, which is basically just free-play where you can practice area's without being harmed. I then went on to the main mode of Rez HD. I have just completed the first area and I'm loving it, and cannot wait to put some more time in to the game. I'm sure the difficulty will ramp up in later stages. There is also Rez Standard mode which is old school Rez in 4:3 ratio. Also, I have enabled rumble, as it was disabled by default for some reason.

The 16:9 HD visuals look fantastic and the sound is perfect. 800 points well spent. Essential.

Edit: Just done the second area, the boss was amazing!

RetroEd wrote:

rez has some ace bosses, the level 4 boss is my favorite.

i wasn't sure they could improve the graphics that much they already look so good on the dreamcast but the HD visuals are amazing!

And as well as the improved visuals, I found the 360 analogue stick excellent to move the digital warrior around.

I played the ass of of this last nigt, i got to the final boss which takes for absolute ever and I died when she had about and eighth of her energy left, i was well pissed off. But ill do it again.

Level 5 is absolutely stunning both visually and aurally, its worth the play through just for that. I also love the 4th level boss but i shant ruin it.

BUY!

illdog wrote:

And as well as the improved visuals, I found the 360 analogue stick excellent to move the digital warrior around.

I played the ass of of this last nigt, i got to the final boss which takes for absolute ever and I died when she had about and eighth of her energy left, i was well pissed off. But ill do it again.

Level 5 is absolutely stunning both visually and aurally, its worth the play through just for that. I also love the 4th level boss but i shant ruin it.

BUY!

The missus is out tonight so i think i'll be buying this even though i've got a fair few XBL games to be getting on with.

I've never actually played rez before so i'm looking forward to this.

spatular wrote:

RetroEd wrote:

rez has some ace bosses, the level 4 boss is my favorite.

i wasn't sure they could improve the graphics that much they already look so good on the dreamcast but the HD visuals are amazing!

Damn it, I cant afford to buy points and was quite happy with the Drizzle Sizzle version, but now :(

I've flicked back and to with the visuals and to be honest the DC style hasn't aged that badly. But I couldn't honestly stick with the old stuff, I need a 5.1 system now. :)

I played this back when it came out on the PS2 on a mate's copy and although I'd pretty much stopped being a toker, I just remember stopping playing going "Fuck! I actually feel stoned!"

There's few games that really do a good job of putting you in a trance but this is one of 'em.

Great stuff.

I just nearly had the 4th boss on his knees but some missiles came out from nowhere and tanked me.

The music in that one is brilliant, so minimal to start with but by the time it gets to the boss it's built up and you're on the edge of the seat.

Lysergic heaven. :)

illdog wrote:

Final boss is a cunt.

It certainly is, I saved up all my overdrives and used them on the first part of the boss but the bloody thing is in stages.

Anyhow, I'm pretty contempt with being on top of the friends leaderboard despite being a Rez n00b.B)

For now atleast.:dry:

I found the last boss to be really easy!

I think the second level boss I struggled on but the last one I did first time.

The last level is one of the best experiences you'll come across. I completely forgot that I had played it before until the text came up on the screen. I was watching the new 1up Show earlier that has a large section on it (Streamable version, WMV version, Quicktime version) and it inspired me to finally unlock the last level and I'm glad I did.

Whenever the argument of "are games art?" come up, there's a handful of games I can think of that would be my answer, and this is one of them that is also a brilliant game too!

Awesome stuff. :)

Hendo wrote:

I found the last boss to be really easy!

I think the second level boss I struggled on but the last one I did first time.

Thing is about Rez, the highter your shoot dowwn percentage, the harder the boss is.

Im having real trouble getting above 15000 in score attack on Level 2, yet i pissed all over level 4. Anyone else strugglin with that?

Yeah I've heard about the shoot down percentage affecting the boss battle but I've had a 90-plus percentage all the way through!

I've only had a go on the first score attack level and somehow I can only manage about 138,000. :(

Part-Time is by far the highest on my friends list.

Any tips? I try to link as much stuff together as possible but I still don't seem to get anywhere.

i posted some tips on another forum:

"lock onto as many enemys as possible before firing gives you a better score multiplier, maybe wait untill some enemys fire missiles before shooting them so you can shoot the misiles for more score (this can make it a bit hard so i tend not to bother but i recon the people with the best scores probabaly do this?), and you can sometimes try for some boss milking by shooting the missiles it throws at you but make sure it doesn't time out as you get quite a lot of points for killing the boss."

Hendo wrote:

Part-Time is by far the highest on my friends list. Any tips?

I could give you tips, but I'd have to kill you.;)

Nah, it is a case of linking as much as you can, letting enamies fire at you and locking on to their fire also adds to the score, and don't kill enamies straight away, lock onto as many as you can before they fly off.

*edit, or what spatular said.

Only just behind you now PTG!

I've played this a helluva lot over the weekend, I've got the 10hr Achievement already.. would have had it for 95% shot down on all areas, but I've got 94.17% twice on area5 now. Tera bossed area1-4, just such a fun game.

Don't really care much for score attack, I prefer going for maximum shot down rather than max combos, but it's undeniably rewarding.

Best use of Liver Arcade, period.

What no-one seems to have mentioned yet is the best feature that the Arcade version has - you can download replay videos of the people on the scoreboard!

Check out someone's huge score and then watch how they did it.

Sorry Ben, this really is the ultimate version. :blush: