passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Owning a 360 and a PS3 ?

Phooey

I mentioned this in the PS3 for 300 quid thread, but thought maybe it deserved its own thread. :)

For those of you who own a 360, will you eventually buy a PS3 or do you really feel that your needs will be met by the 360 ? Can you justify buying a PS3 for (maybe) a couple of games & would it really get much use ?

For me, it's obviously the other way round. Whilst I'd like to own a 360 (if I could afford it that is), I somehow think it would be daft as I have so many games on other formats, that I just wouldn't have the time to enjoy each game individually.

I think at the moment one console is all i need, I only had an xbox in the last generation and it was enough for me (though i did pick up a gamecube for £40). There's just so many good games for me on the 360 that I'm never gonna play I don't think I'll need anything else

That said if some one offered me a ps3 for cheap I'd probably buy one

Even though I am happy as a Wii60 owner at the moment, it seems that the Wii is pandering to the casual gamer more than I would like and 360 releasing FPS's to the point of nausia (same as the last Xbox), I think I may pick up a PS3, there is nothing now, but 18 months - 2 years down the line, who knows.

Yet again the selection of Wii and 360 games might get more diversive but it might just take a handfull of strong exclusives to sway me.

I think that as an owner of a wii and a 360 I cant see me owning a ps3 for a very long time. I only got the 360 for the slow releases on the Wii and the lack of multiplayer (metroid prime and mario party without online?) so the 360 has taken care of that side of things and the Wii will eventually satisfy my long standing Nintendo addiction.

The main thing for me is enjoying the Wii, as ive always had the most enjoyment with a nintendo console, its really only a choice between the 360 and the ps3 and it came down to not much more than affordability at the time......where the 360 clearly won. If the difference in price were not so great then id have considered a ps3 to be honest.

Im more than happy with my 360 though, it means i can play banjo three-ie, Fable 2, force unleashed, resi 5, assasins creed, GTA 4. I know that I will miss some great games, the next final fantasy springs to mind and there are others (although i cant name them) but the trade off is fine for me, like I said all the 360 games I play are a bonus as im hoping that the Wii will keep me occupied.

I don't actually own either a 360 or a PS3 yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the PS3.

I know I probably won't buy the other console for a long time. I'll miss out on some good games, I know, but lets face it, the VAST majority of this gens games are gonna be multiplatform, and it comes down to a matter of the exclusives.

Personally, I know it the long run that the PS3 will have more games I am interested in, such as FF, MGS and other Japanese stuff that the PS3 will get much more of.

Now that I am a Wii60 owner, I wish I made the 360 purchase earlier, as I'm absolutely loving the console. As sam said, it's filling the gap perfectly until the big Ninty games come along, but it's also now my system of choice, alongside the DS. I think the Wii will end up being the first party machine for me, picking up all the big releases (except Metroid Prime 3, not for me), with the odd surprise third party release.

There's two games that will make me want a PS3, Gran Turismo 5, and the next ICOteam game. But I have a couple racers on the 360 that could make me forget all about GT5, so until the next ICO/Shadow of the Colossus comes along, I'm good.

For me, there's a few games on the 360 that I like the look of - Bioshock, Viva Pinata & Mass Effect, which the 1up guys seemed to like. Plus maybe Banjo Threeie if it turns out any good.

When I look at the 360 & its games, the thing that always jumps out at me is 'online play' which I have zero interest in. I'm a single player/offline gamer all the way, so to me, many of the 360 games are a complete no no. However, the 360 is getting games earlier than the PS3, so that could be something that would make me think of owning one.

It's funny because I had a pre-order down for the 360 on launch day & I cancelled it at the last minute. In retrospect, I wish I'd kept it, but I'm guessing that the PS3 would've been bought eventually.

Also I had to think about what games I enjoy & what platform they are likely to come out on. I like weird Japanese games, puzzle games, platformers & stuff like Ico, so that's really why I went the PS3 route.

Another huge bonus of the PS3 is region free games, so if a horse dating sim appears in Japan, I can play it as well. :laugh:

You're a puzzle whore, Phoo. Hexic HD comes preloaded on the HDD, and it's addictive as hell! Well, I'm assuming it is, as it takes me a while to drag the wife away from it at times! And then there's all the other XBLA stuff, Pac-Man Championship Edition is fantastic, as is Worms. There's a ton of other puzzle action on there, too. No brainer.

I see what you mean about the online side of things, but I've been online once (Halo multiplayer against 3 friends) since I bought the machine. It's not essential, but it's a damn nice addition to the whole package in my opinion. And now the Premium is dropping to £195 (I think?). That's Wii territory.

Games!!! wrote:

lets face it, the VAST majority of this gens games are gonna be multiplatform

That's the money shot for me.

You can justify going Wii60 or PS3Wii because of the Wii's price and the fact that you'll have different games for each system, but both the 360 and PS3 are fairly expensive and there's few true exclusives these days.

As Ben's said a few times we will all have all 3 machines sometime soon (next year maybe?) but it's tough on the wallet to justify all 3 as it is.

And yeah Phoo, the 360 isn't as macho as its reputation suggests - you could easily stick to downloadable stuff, never play a game online and still feel you got your moneys worth.

For retro gamers like myself and Ed there's some awesome stuff on XBLA - my current choice is Assault Heroes which is old school in the best possible way.

RetroEd wrote:

You're a puzzle whore, Phoo.

Loud & proud. :blush:

Hendo wrote:

And yeah Phoo, the 360 isn't as macho as its reputation suggests - you could easily stick to downloadable stuff, never play a game online and still feel you got your moneys worth.

It's funny that you say macho, as a few weeks ago the Saturday Express (stop laughing) gave their 'expert' opinion on the latest consoles & said that the 360 was for the hardcore combatative gamer, or something along those lines. And that's really what I've always thought. Isn't the online side of things really intimidating unless you know who exactly it is that you're playing against ?

It's fair that most retail games are the racers and shooters (it's low on RPG's and strategy games) but I do think the reputation is about as fair as to say that the Wii is just all about the minigames - we all know there's a large grain of truth in it, but it's not the everything.

Intimidating? Hell yeah, I've barely played anyone that I don't know, but then I've even done the same on Mario Strikers and the DS online games, and they don't have voice chat!*

*Some DS games do have something, but it's not fair to bring up as it's only used with friend code matches.