passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bioshock

Sambob

Well, I think it's fucking ace! I can see why it's got such high scores as it is a very special game, regardless of it's ancestry (come on, if it was ripping another game off, it might as well be a game by it's creator!). The problem in this internet age is that everyone knew what scores it was getting from round the world so our anticipation and expectations were much higher than the reviewers. I wonder if this (slight) backlash would be in force if we all went in blind?

Although I haven't finished it yet, it's been a cracking experience. Not perfect (some slight bugs with dead bodies still moving occasionally) but to me a 10 is that special game, and this is that special game.

Also, unsurprisingly, it's the highest scoring 360 game ever.

Bioshock has achieved the status of the top-ranked Xbox 360 game of all time, according to stat crunching by Metacritic.

It's scored an average of 96 percent, based on over 50 different reviews.

Unsurprisingly, it's also this year's highest scoring console game. 2K Games and Bioshock developers 2K Boston and 2K Australia are no doubt rolling around in ecstasy. We wonder how big their champagne bill is...

The accolade heaped on Bioshock on Xbox 360 also extends to the demo, which has broken Xbox Live records by topping a million downloads in the nine days following its release.

Huge success all round for Bioshock then, so it's hardly surprising that 2K Games parent Take-Two has said it's shaping up to be a very important franchise.

The company's already talking sequels and considering the possibility of releasing a new Bioshock title roughly once every two years.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt think you liked the stats bullshit. :lol:

I thought it was a great game, the final quarter was really well thought through ,apart from the very end which I have about three better ideas for. The setting was fantastic from the plane crash and the feeling of 'oh shit' that you are alone, right through all of the desolate, once lived in scenes. I genuinely felt bad for some of the characters and also bought into the sort of deranged, mentally tortured splicers seeking another fix (which I would, if the drug were special powers) of their drug.

One or two things i didnt love like a glitch or overuse of the 'dark room' setting, which take away the perfect ten awards for me, top nines though. Id really welcome a sequel i think, with some kind of co-op as i thought it was lacking that aspect of it.

EDIT* Also this stupid point about Bioshock ripping off system shock is stupid, its like saying that jade empire ripped of knights of the old republic, or perfect dark ripped off goldeneye. It doesnt count as ripping off if its the same people that did both does it?

sambob wrote:

I didnt think you liked the stats bullshit. :lol:

Sales figures, no, they're meaningless.

Review scores and other gamers' advice (especially most people here) is different. When a game gets review scores in the 9's and 10's and a solitary 8 (hello Edge, come on in) you have to take notice.

EDIT

I quite agree, Sam. It's like when people moaned that the original creator of GTA made a GTA-like game in Crackdown.

I think the PC gamers are annoyed that its just a shiny system shock 2 but underwater. Which is fair play and it does rip off Fallout 2 in many places which is something i agree with as Fallout was fucking awesome.

Even the people whining that it is ripping of SS2 are saying its still a good game. But when playing it I feel the dumbing down for the 360 is very obvious especially in the way the interface works and the way the mouse moves it just doesnt feel right which is telling of the system it was truely aimed at as Rainbow 6 Vegas was similar in controls yet felt more natural in mouse movements.

Yay this is defintely good news, hopefully they will expand upon the last one rather than offer us more of the same, some online this time.

A different setting, I dont think they could do rapture again, but I think this is definitely good news.

I finally finished this rude boy in the wee hours of this morning and despite the last boss being shockingly easy it was awsome all the way though.

Not sure if I can be bothered playing through again on Hard but im having fun wondering around the splenderous Rapture looking for Power to the People stations and general shit I missed.

A nine mos def.

sambob wrote:

Yay this is defintely good news, hopefully they will expand upon the last one rather than offer us more of the same, some online this time.

A different setting, I dont think they could do rapture again, but I think this is definitely good news.

I agree man, fucking great news!

Having not got to the end just yet, I don't know what the ending is but surely a prequel is possible so you can see Rapture how it was before it all went tits up?

Shin_Seffron wrote:

Dont want to ruin your day illdog, but if you killed sandler Cohen when you first met him, youve missed a Power to the people thingy m'bob :pinch

Balls.

I killed him the first chance I got. Still, got the "Irony" acheivement though. :)

Was in Sainsburys yesterday and saw this for 34.99 so couldn't resist buying it. Absolutely loving it so far, never been this immersed in a first person shooter since Deus Ex.

Any tips for dealing with the Big Daddies early on? I know later on you get much more powerful weapons but at the moment I'm going at them with only a little bit of Electro Bucks and some ammo piercing armour and they're proving very very difficult.

Maybe I'm just a little rubbish :(

The twist is spot on, and the whole thing just oozes class. :)

I'm not sure when I'll go through it again, but I'm sure I will. Super Paper Mario can now be started, as I've been putting off playing through it until I got this out of the way.

I might have a quick look at the start to see if I can spot any of the twists' hints.

aidanon wrote:

Any tips for dealing with the Big Daddies early on? I know later on you get much more powerful weapons but at the moment I'm going at them with only a little bit of Electro Bucks and some ammo piercing armour and they're proving very very difficult.

Maybe I'm just a little rubbish :(

At first they are just tough, your right about the Electro Bucks and armour piercing bullets, but your not far off picking up a grenade launcher, then its a case of zapping them with your Elecrticity Plasmid and then bust off a grenade, zapping, bustin, you get the picture.

Oh dear.

Apart from "The Twist", the best bit is your encounters with The Artist.

Absolutely shockingly good game throughout, and the naysayers can go get fucked - like replay value ever really mattered in a story-driven game? Go tell the fans of Monkey Island that one.

Nah, I don't think you have, unless you've got a good imagination.

I read the synopsis of the whole story last night as I couldn't sleep and had trouble understanding some of the finer points (it's not like a film with a twist where you can just watch it through again for an hour or two!) and the level of detail in the game, story-wise, is immense.

This is the main reason it got 10's, because the story-telling really makes it. Everything has been thought of.

In the synopsis the guy says that 90% of the article is directly from the game and the rest is from interviews with Ken Levine.

The whole of Andrew Ryan's life had been planned out pretty much from his birth so you can understand why he wanted to build Rapture.

I honestly can't remember the last time I played a game with as good a story as Bioshock. Maybe Killer7 but it was so hard to keep track of what was going on and there was so much surrealism at work that it could have been genius or utter wank - either way it was confusing.