passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Taiko no Tatsujin DS - Touch de Dokodon!

retroed

pa.93492.1.jpg

Okay, a couple of us have ordered this I think. My copy should be here any day, so I thought I'd put this thread up. First off, if you have never heard of it, you must check out this review/explanation of the game.

Don't be put off by the Japanese menu's, it's super simple to get to grips with (see YouTube link above). If you like your rhythm action games, or just fancy a change from Ouendan/EBA, you will need this in your life. From what I understand, every copy comes with two Taiko styli! You can play the game using buttons, if you don't fancy yourself as a drummer. :)

Anyway, if you haven't ordered it, buy it now. Personal impressions when mine arrives. Quick menu translation:

Title Screen

- Songs (red)

- Daily Play (yellow)

- Multiplayer (green)

- Mail (blue)

- Game Settings(purple)

Songs

- To change difficulty, click the middle tab with the icon of the plant on it.

-- Plant is Easy

-- Bamboo is Medium

-- Tree is Hard

- Right Tab is Customisation

-- First option is for tap sounds

-- Second menu is game adjusters like faster speed/cloaking ect I think..

- To play a song, just tap the one you want when it is near the middle of the screen.

Daily Play

- Hit chart, right is to practice song, left is to get ranked (one per day max.)

Multiplayer

- Multicart

- Join Game?

Game Settings

- Control Methods

- Change your Name

- Erase Data

Mail

- Wardrobe to customise your Taiko

-- Tab 1 - Face Colour

-- Tab 2 - Body Colour

-- Tab 3 - Rim Colour

-- Tab 4 - Headgear

-- Tab 5 - Clothes

- Postbox to read mail and get new items for your wardrobe from the letters with presents.

- Bottom right Icon is Tutorial

Pause Screen

- Resume

- Restart

- Back to Songs

- Back to Title

tntatsujin8_01.gif

Yes my good friend Ed here is correct you need this in your life. My copy will be ordered shortly but I have played it and its fantastic the songs are even more strange than the ones in Ouendan but honestly this game is worth the entry fee for the Super Mario Bros level alone, absolutely sublime gameplay.

The "every DS game must have it" daily play mode is great aswell forcing you to play tracks you might not touch otherwise.

Im acctually in Japan right now, and I bought a copy of the game yesterday. I must say its a lot of fun. I haven`t played it that much, but it seems good this far. The game comes along with two taiko no tatsujin pens to, wich is great :)

i love this game and have got all crowns on easy so far but...

theres a bug on it tht if u have 3 players registered on it, dont have the third one dressed up otherwise a bug happens, so the games being recalled.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been caning this game, it's superb. I've got all golds on Easy and a bunch on Normal. I've done a few on Hard, also. The daily play mode that unlocks new songs is good, you can practice as much as you want, then have one attempt at being ranked. Presentation is spot on, and the tracklist is great, the Mario Bros. medley is awesome! Even the classicial music tracks are very well done.

I'm surprised there aren't more people talking about this, it belongs in everyones collection. This will probably end up being my Game of the Month.

• 3 weeks later...

Centy wrote:

Have you had a chance to import Ecoris yet (noticing your avatar) its being localised for the states now apparently.

I decided not to import that one (too text heavy) so I'm pretty chuffed that it's getting a US release.

When a game makes Game of the Month it comes with high praise indeed.

And maybe it's because of expectation but I'm just not feeling the same ammounts of love for this as everyone else.

I've gone through all the tracks on Easy and got all (bar a couple) gold medals and have just moved onto Medium difficulty. Now it's more likely down to Easy mode (and I'll be singing its praises shortly after I go through the game) but it seems to be pretty, um, basic right now. As I say it's most likely down to me playing through Easy mode as I get the same feeling from Guitar Hero, Ouenden, EBA, Daigasso, etc on Easy mode - it's just too boring.

But with this there doesn't seem to be the level of sophistication from Daigasso, the bonkers stories from Ouenden/EBA or the sheer adrenaline of Guitar Hero.

I don't not like the game, but I found myself just playing through the tracks and not feeling anything at all. I did enjoy the classical tracks, but I realised for the rest I was just playing the game "just to play the game".

I had me headphones on, I was in the rhythm-action zone, but I didn't feel the love that you all do.

Like I say, I'm sure on medium and hard it will pick up and I'll be back saying how amazing it is, but as of right now I'd be recommending all the other DS music games above this.