passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mario Strikers Charged

Sambob

I've played it quite a bit today, and I can now say I don't like it at all really.

It's shit.

One of the worst games I've actually bought, I'll probably only keep it for a few weeks to play some of you lot.

The gameplay is just too random, there's no skill involved at all, most of the stadiums are simply too busy in that the geographical effects etc are too disruptive, the control is broken for want of a better word, the repeatedly having to press A to choose your player stinks, that FUCKING CUT SCENE, the music, the style...

At no point in the game do I ever feel connected to what's going on, it's just stuff happening that relies more on the opponant than anything you do.

It's horrible.

Very very disappointed, the exact opposite feeling I got from Eledees :(

Maybe it will grow on me, I want it to, but at the moment it's a huge thumbs down from me.

Now... When is Mercury Revolution out? :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a real shame stu, as I couldn't really be happier with the game. They have managed to expand on Mario Smash Football and make it even more enjoyable. The tactics are there, it's nowhere near as random as you may first imagine. Choosing your sidekicks who each have different abilities. I've realised that lob passing around the ball gets the ball white quicker, and there's a host of other bits and pieces. I don't think the gameplay is random at all, I (almost) always feel in complete control of the game, although it is difficult to spot the ball sometimes. Pressing A to select your character doesn't bother me either, it feels well implemented. I quite like all the music, too. I'll agree with you on that mega strike cutscene, though.

I've only really been playing online, after trying the Fire Cup and finishing the tutorial. I lost in the final, though, so have gone back to it after playing online for a while, and am playing a lot better than I was.

Apart from the actual servers not being able to cope at the moment, I've been really impressed by the online aspect. The game really takes off when playing against friends or ranked matches, it's a completely different experience.

The game is definitely one that you can master, and requires a fair bit of skill I'd say. It's not your Pro Evo, but then, it's not trying to be. I wouldn't say I'm a footy fan, but I'm bloody loving this. Horses for courses, and all that.

I can see what stu is saying, but i feel like a lot of the skill comes from how you react to the random moments. e.g. some of the sidekicks shots. Some of the environmental stuff is too much, and the ice level can fuck right off. Same with having to start tournaments again.

My online record is 4-4, but in truth its 6w 2L. If the server drops before you get to register your points then you dont get them and it counts as a loss, which is a bit shit, but so long as they get it sorted quick i can forgive

I've managed a few games online now, including getting my ass handed to me by Ben :P

The first game had only 1 star for connection but as I'd been trying for a while just to get on I decided to play, well as much as you can when ist lagging so bad you get trails and super quick skipping!! Still I won 2-0 ;)

Finally I got a good connection and played a 3 game series and lost 2-1, but I was robbed I tell ya! again the connection didn't hold!! I really hope ninty pulls their finger out and gets it sorted soon.

The best game I've played so far, connection wise, was the 1st game against ben. It seemed to hold up fine on my end.

I've also had points nicked off me by people dropping out or the connection failing, at least all scores are wiped at the end of the week, so If you do get robbed it doesn't matter that much in the end. I did hear that you get penalty points for dropping out something like - 20 off your score and the other player jsut gets a point or two for the game

Give it a week or so (maybe a month or two lol) and nintendo should get used to the amount of traffic. Then it'll be super fun.

Stu have you ever played the GameCube version? or is this your first bash at mario footy? Coz i'd recommend sticking with it, there is quite a bit of skill and tactic's when you get into it. I do agree that some of the stadiums have too much going on, it disrupts play too much and yes the cut-scenes for the super moves suck, but you can turn the moves off anyway.

EDIT: I ended up playing a load of online matches last night, won a few and lost sum too, but it was really good fun. One guy I played was a real pro and proved to me there is sum skill to playing. He could chip pass the pass around all his players, he used toads, and made them jump as the ball was lofted towards them, by the time the toad landed he'd pass the ball, in three passes the ball was charged white!! I tried doing the same, you have to use shoot instead of 'Z' Chip, but I couldn't figuire how he passed it back from my half like that?!? It was a top match, I pwnd in goal or it would of been a sick score line. He won the last match in sudden death :pinch:

Im not having a problem connecting now, maybe they've fixed it or altertered the amount of players able to be connected to more? But even with a Four star connection at times its laggs and isn't as smooth as single player. I wasn't expecting it to be perfect its gonna take a while for nintendo to iron out the kinks, it is their first real online game and there's a lot going on! it's still loads of fun :P

I just had a match against someone who was pretty good. He was reading passes to break down my attacks, then doing the long pass build up technique so I couldnt get near him and he scored a few good goals. He hammered me in the first game and made me sit and watch every single replay.

Second game was mine, I even scored a feeble pea roller against him, that I was tempted to make him watch but I didnt. I'm sure Matt will attest that we were both just getting on with the game last night, skipping all the graphics stuff. On the third game he beat me, it was pretty even, but he won 2-1 and deserved it. Again though I skipped the cut scene of my goal, he watched both of his (one of which was a really good goal and deserved the replay). Then it came to the highlights of the match #3 was his, #2 was his, which meant the actual highlight of the match was my goal. Which he then skipped. What a tool

And that is why i'm glad there isnt voice chat

Yeah, I've played a few people who like to watch replays.

Personally, I'd hate voice chat because I shout lots when I'm annoyed.

Anyways, there is a lot of depth to this game. I've now started using the lob pass (ZandA), which charged the ball quicker.

Quite a lot of the time you need to be thinking quite far ahead about who to tackle and so on.

I am quite glad that megastrikes aren't quite as powerful as I thought they were at first. I quite like how they are nigh on impossible to use later on and online, and even when you do get into one the minigame is way easy.

Anyways, this game gets a big thumbs up from me so far.

Just hope they get online sorted out sooner rather than later.

I've had people making me watch replays to, I don't mind that much as I smoke, and a breather helps every now and then, but most of the time I'd rather get on with it!

My cousins are over from france (bah!) and they're loving strikers at the moment, all three of them play on one side and are working their way through the first cup. Which I finished last night Woot! I've done some of the challenges too, they unlock cheats, which are more like options really.

I'll add you sam89 as soon as I can kick em off the Wii

was round mr sams today n tried it out, i found it pretty fun, but it wasnt as frantic as i thought it was, n plus one player looked frustrating later on in the game, i kno this has online but i think im gna give this one a miss, or get it when its cheap

I've played a bit more of this in single player now and I'm really enjoying it. It could be that you've spent so long playing real footie games Stu that this doesn't sit well, but to me it's great.

There really is more depth and skill to it than there first appears.

To be honest, I don't mind the Mega cut-scene as it's so rare that I can pull one off when playing online (I seem to attract people and they barge me mid-flow) that when it comes I watch it with pride!

I'm on the Crystal cup now, having unlocked Bowser Jr. and done a couple of the challenges.

Triple Post FTW

So seeing as I'm clearly the worst one here, any help with strategy?

How do you pick your roster? Is it just the ones whose moves you like? Is there a reason you've got certain ones forward or back?

I need a lot of help I think.

Im still messing with the roster, haven't tried evryone yet.

I like Hammer Dude, he does have a cheap way of scooring goals tho, but he's pretty good all round. His faint move is really good it knocks whoever is near you down, leaving able to do a skill shot.

Boo is great for defense I find, as he's really quick and picks up the loose balls. His phase ability is great too, both through players and the keeper

Toad Is fantastic if your a passing master, using 'B' to pass from your own half charges the ball quickly, you can use toad to jump and catch the ball mid air. A guy did this to me and it was so hard to get the ball back. If it hadn't been for my Elite goalie skills, I'd of been thrashed outta the park. Toad can even jump the goalie for a walk in goal!

Shy guy is a good all rounder, but I think his faint move sucks.

Koopa Trooper Is a very good all rounder, but his skill shoot sucks unless you can get another player near teh deflected shot, as I've never managed to get the ball passed the goalie with his skill shot.

Dry Bones? He's a top defender and a surprisingly good shoot amker, even though his shoot ability is low, mainly because his skill strike fries/freezes the goalie and if you can get another shot in quickly its an easy goal

I've not really used the other much yet so I don't know their strengths and what suck about them. I'll spend some time working them all out while im offline this week :(

Passsing is key to this game, and the direction of your shot as well, you can bend the ball where you want witha bit of practice.

Also try not to chase the ball/player around when he's passing, try marking where he's likely to pass, you be able to get the ball back quicker.

Hope some of that helps ;)

I think I'm going to have to start the league all over again. I did Fire cup on my first attempt (*smug*) but I cannot do Crystal, and i'm blaming my sidekicks. From playing online I picked up a few players I like (Toad, the skeleton thing) and Hammer Dude is just too slow for me, his shot special is the best in the game however.

I like Mario/Luigi as captains, but their special is a bit arse, especially when compared to Bowsers fire breath

Shame you cant alter the team midway through a tournament

Im glad everybody seems to have this and on the most part are enjoying it.

I bought this on Saturday after a bit of a fuck around but so far havent had a great deal of time to play, infact, havent even finished the tutorial. But reading this thread so far has made me thirst for some Strikers action, so im gonna have to play a bit and catch up.

Ben/Sambob, i'm callin you out!

Does anyone get the feeling that we're kicking Samus in her Morph Ball suit around, Poor girl! :laugh:

Im really loving this, even if Im winning or losing! There are some good players out there. Im gonna have to put some much needed passing practice in. :S

I just got beat in my 2nd online game today, he used a teammate I haven't seen before or just didn't notice. It was Birdo her skill strike is unstoppable! everytime he got it off I couldn't block it! went straight through my keeper! I think she's possible got one of the best moves.

The other thing about friend codes that bugs me, in the past games I've played like Quake3 you met people on the servers, had a few games and we're able to give your details so you could meet up and play again with people of similar ability. You can't do this with the friend code system. I think there should of been an option to give your friend code if you wanted to. I've played a few people on the ranking mode and I wished I could of played them again. I thought online gaming was about metting/making new friends?!? Then kicking their arse! ;)

Another thing they could and possible should add is a Strikers Channel. As your Wii is always connected to the net, it would be great to have a channel window that tells you how many of your friend list are online instead of having to boot the game up everytime.

Id have to say that my favourite team consists of Birdo, drybones and then the third place is not decided, I use drybones as my defender because he is fast and had a great shot from halfway allowing anybody else an easy tap in (just press A when it bounces back to drybones). Birdo's shot is unstoppable from anywhere (obviously you need to be in the opponent's half) unless someone gets in the way of it, and birdo also has a great defensive move to draw players in allowing to get the shot off. The third place in my current team is taken up by hammer Bro. but I think id happily change him for toad due to his great dodge move, but hammer bro has a good shot and good defence so theres not much between the two.

Still havnt played this online, but tonight im up for a quick game if anyone wants. Im really trying to beat crystal cup in order to get diddy kong, his special power looks to be the best, allowing him to remove players from the field, I also like his Mega strike animation the best of all.